“Heading for a star”

Ranked #3 of 164 Restaurants in Beverley
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A small intimate fine dining restaurant offering local produce cooked with passion and skill but served in a friendly and approachable way! Rated by michelin and the good food guide
Reviewed September 16, 2011

This was the third time I have visited Whites and I am still as impressed as the first time I went.

It's a fine dining style restaurant (fussy food as my dad would say) which is my favorite style of food and I have been lucky enough to try a number of the Hull/East Riding offerings of this type of cuisine.

The menu changes regularly (the chef is the owner and used to work at the 2 starred Winteringham Fields) and is typical of fine dining peppered with fois gras, truffles, samphire and enough purees to put a smile on Chef Ramsay's face!

I have never eaten such exquisite, rich food before - even the entrees of bread and butter were divine! It just gets better and better every time we go.

They now offer a 'taster menu' like the famous Fat Duck which is £50 per person and I will definitely be sampling it in the future!

Its not cheap but its well worth the price if you appreciate good food which has been cooked to perfection. Special occasion? This place MADE my birthday!

If you are a fellow 'foodie' you will fall in love with this placer and I'm sure it will join the likes of Pipe and Glass in being another restaurant in the area to gain a well deserved Michelin Star.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

I've taken a while to reflect on this review, because I simply did not enjoy my meal here.

We were well received and shown our table, and served some spring water while we waited. The staff were friendly and the decor was nice. We ordered ala-carte rather than the tasting menu or the fixed price. We also ordered Champagne as well as water to drink. We were served a nice mackerel amuse-bouche. All was well, but for me it went down hill from there.

My starter of Lobster and Chicken was horrible - I hated it, and I said so when asked. However the staff just did not know how to react to a guest not liking the food! My main course was also, in my view, not nice either.

For dessert I decided to have their "famous cheese board", but that also disappointed. The "Oat Cakes" fell into crumbs and were to small to contain cheese. The cheese selection, I felt, was a bit random. Just some strange cheeses picked up at the deli, rather than carefully chosen to complement. No hard cheese, no blue cheese, all mainly soft french cheeses and one norwegian.

On the positive side, the Champagne was good, but we were not offered replenishment on the spring water as we might have liked.

The gluten free diner was catered for satisfactorily, and the other diners did appear to be enjoying their meals including those in my party! It must have just been me that found nothing to their taste!

It did go downhill for everyone, when at the end we could not have coffee, and the tea was served with lukewarm water! We rejected it. Surely any chef can boil a kettle?

1  Thank alias_Ned_Flanders
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Starved of decent pubs/restaurants in our local stomping ground, my husband and I are always on the look-out for for foodie experiences near and far. I spotted White's on the Bib Gourmand 2011 list and having never been to Beverley, we thought it a perfect excuse to explore uncharted ground. The staff at White's were welcoming and although we were one of the first tables to arrive, the restaurant soon filled with other diners creating a pleasant, homey buzz. We ordered from the A la carte menu and found that whilst each course was cooked to a high standard, our mains of duck and venison were the stand out dishes of the evening. Home made bread served between the starter and main courses was also absolutely delicious. It is also worth mentioning that our meal at White's was actually tastier then a recent trip to a certain Michelin star restaurant in the North West and better value to boot! I suppose no-one is perfect though and we've deducted one star on account of the service which albeit pleasant, was slow at times and lacked some of the focus and attention you receive in more high-profile establishments. This did not however detract from the fact the food was some of the tastiest we've had in quite a while and the chef seems to cook with his heart and soul on a plate!

Reviewed July 25, 2011

This guy is really trying, too hard? This is almost a tiptop restaurant -let's face it Beverley needs that. Good food once again, with a sumptuous venison dish.....but there is a tendency to over embellish (as if gong hunting... which he is) which is sometimes at the expense of getting the basics right, for example, properly seasoning the meat. I am really looking forward to my next visit as I really hope he has gone simple to go further!

Reviewed July 7, 2011

At long last we made it to Whites in Beverley! What a treat with superb food presented with flair and good restaurant service. We will be back!

1  Thank HullCity2