“Splendid. We always enjoy this place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dine on the Rowe - CLOSED

Dine on the Rowe
Cuisines: British, International, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: We a small family run neighbourhood restaurant, that sources ethically and with full traceability. Based in a 400 year old Grade II listed building that has an amazing history. We have an intimate candlelit environment, and our aim to create and unhurried experienced. Dishes are presented with care and attention and flavours are designed to be robust.We appreciate and hope to learn from all feedback.
Yorkshire ( North of Watford)
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Splendid. We always enjoy this place.”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

DOTR is at the top of our list, when we want a good night out in Beverley.

The food is sublime, & the service is excellent.

Always good, always memorable. Well done Jason Andrew & Team.

Ellis, East Yorkshire

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Warn0ck
dineontheRoweOwner, Owner at Dine on the Rowe, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Mr Ellis

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about dine on the Rowe, your feedback really means a lot us. As a regular visitor since we opened it is great to see you visiting again and again. We'll look forward to your next visit.

Many thanks DOTR Team

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

After reading one of the latest reviews we were a little unsure what to expect.

We had one of the best nights out, the food was superb made all the better by the chef coming into the dining room and asking how everything was. The service was attentive, courteous and efficient, but more than anything we were made to feel welcome and valued.

We have already started planning our next night which will most deffinately include a meal in dine on the Rowe.

Thank you for a most enjoyable evening

dineontheRoweOwner, Owner at Dine on the Rowe, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for visiting the restaurant and taking the time to leave some feedback, it is very important to us. We're really pleased you enjoyed all aspects of the evening. On most evenings one of the chefs or myself will also come and visit guests and make sure everything has been good and just have a general chat about food.

We'll hopefully see you again soon.
Beverley, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly recommended! *****”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Five of us ate late on saturday night, and judging by how busy the restaurant was when we eventually made our way home - we were lucky to have been able to get a table at all. And I would say that this is indicative that we were not the only ones to have enjoyed our meal and the atmosphere that night. Between us we ate a selection of the meals available on the a la carte menu - the chicken & chorizo; the venison & pickled mushrooms and my favourite - the seafood bisque which was a real treat. All of the meals were beautifully presented, freshly prepared and with wonderful combinations of flavours. They obviously take a pride in what they serve, and if they needed any testimony - then the empty plates cleared away at the end of the meal would offer the biggest compliment that it was enjoyed by all.
We were enticed into having a dessert by seeing the tempting plates pass us by to go to other diners. We were'nt disappointed here either. We all ordered differently and requested extra spoons so that we could share. I would find it hard to choose between the ginger pancakes with rhubarb sorbet or the apple crumble with popping candy - both equally delicious!
The service was friendly and curteous without being overbearing and the surroundings were in keeping with the quirky character of the building, and I would certainly recommend giving this restaurant a try.

• Visited February 2013
dineontheRoweOwner, Owner at Dine on the Rowe, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Sandra

Thank you for visiting dine on the Rowe and taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. The feedback means a great deal to us. We're really glad you enjoyed your meals especially the Seafood Bisque, a lot of care and attention does go in to what we try and produce. We're constantly trying to improve, develop and we really care what our customers think and feedback to us.

We hope to see you soon.
East Yorks
“Best Avoided!! Overpriced, Pretentious and Bad Attitude”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My Husband and I booked Dine on the Rowe for our 'romantic' Valentines meal, the day after Valentines Day as my Husband had been working away all week. Having previously dined here, and found it rather expensive and unromantic due to a family with a young child being allowed to run riot and use the table next to us to arrange her Sylvanians and generally treat the place like a creche, we decided to give it another chance as we also had a 25% off voucher.

First impressions were, the place is trying to be something it is not. It has a pretentious atmosphere which is not justified by the food or service.

The starter was delicious, tomato soup. So, off to a good start. However, when the main course arrived, my Husband was presented with something completely different to the description given on the menu. He was unable to eat it and it was taken back to the kitchen after we explained it was not what he believed he had ordered. An alternative was offered but my Husband declined as we were told we would still have to pay for the first main dish, which at £22 we were not prepared to do! We overheard a Gentleman adjacent to us ordering the same dish just after my Husband's untouched plate was sent back to the kitchen - I wonder where that ended up!

I ordered a chicken dish, which was inevitably spoilt by the fact I was now having to eat alone with my hungry and disgruntled Husband watching me. The chicken was very dry and appeared to have been reheated in a microwave. The dish was also advertised on the menu as containing prawns, but there were certainly no prawns on my plate.

We requested and settled the bill, served by a rather smug lady, and left unhappy......glancing at the Gentleman on the other table tucking into the dish we had inevitably paid for as we left.

I wrote to the management soon after, as we had not wanted to cause a scene in the restaurant (although the staff knew we were unhappy) and salvage what was left of our 'romantic' evening. I have still, two weeks later had no response - which proves to me that this establishment has no regard for customer service whatsoever. Do yourself a favour and AVOID!!!

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank monkeynuts86
dineontheRoweOwner, Owner at Dine on the Rowe, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at dine on the Rowe. I am very sorry you didn't enjoy the experience and you feel that we run a pretentious and over priced establishment.

That is not our intention, we are small family run restaurant and welcome anyone. Including families as you have already mentioned in your previous visit.

Firstly I would like to say we have not received a letter of complaint from you, had we have done so I would have responded straight away. I will of course still respond if you send a copy through.

I remember the evening in question very well, it takes at least 5 minutes to set up a Seafood Bisque in the bowl and 20 minutes to cook it as everything has to be cooked strategically as to not overcook any of it.. When it came back straight away I was very shocked. The exact description on our menu is :

Seafood Bisque - 'Fresh Langoustine, King Prawns, Scallops, Squid, Mussels & Clams in a rich bisque served with a toasted cheddar crostini' .

This was ordered by 5 other people on the evening and thoroughly enjoyed by all. To suggest that the table next to you received your husband's dish is unfair and wrong. The dish actually was left on the side in the kitchen and the staff enjoyed it after service. I was told by the Restaurant manager that your husband's response to the dish was 'take it away this making me feel ill' . This did not seem to make sense, but it was what was ordered? The dish was taken away straight away. The restaurant manager offered to cook something else, but you were informed that we would have to charge for the meal as there was nothing wrong with the meal that was presented and nothing wrong with the description. This was declined. We also offered another plate so your husband could eat some of the side dishes, so at least he could eat something.

The other tables in the same room were concerned as your husband didn't eat his meal and they thought something wrong with the food. Two of the others in the room ordered the dish and enjoyed it thoroughly.

With regards your Chicken dish, this is described on the menu as :

Free Range Chicken Fillet Stuffed with Local Chorizo & King Prawns on Bravas Potatoes

The prawns are actually form part of the stuffing with local chorizo and roasted pepper it is then wrapped in Proscuitto Crudo. The prawns will not be presented around the potatoes. This is one of our most popular dishes and to suggest it was reheated in the microwave is unfair again. We cook everything from fresh and are often told how juicy the chicken is, as the chorizo, prawn and proscuitto keep the chicken really moist from within. Firstly the chicken is pan-fried from raw and then it has 11 minutes in a hot oven. The chicken is probed and must reach 72 degrees to ensure it is fully cooked it is always very juicy at this point and glistening. I know this as part of the presentation involves cutting the chicken at a diagonal angle so that it reveals the inside of the chicken fillet. Of the 8 people that evening who had the chicken I managed to speak to 4. The last one stated that they didn't want the dish to end and that they always leave food in a restaurant but they didn't want to leave a trace of this dish it was so tasty.

As I have said I was really sorry that you didn't enjoy the experience. I really try and learn from all bad experiences as well as good feedback, but your issues on the evening did perplex us and some of our other customers too. I will look forward to a copy of your letter. It really perplexes us when people think we are pretentious as we work really hard to make everyone feel comfortable, there is no dress policy and the environment is meant to be a casual dining experience.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Super Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Popped here for some Sunday lunch and had the most excellent Sunday Lunch Platter. The meat, especially the beef was delicious and perfectly cooked! Its £13.50 per person but your paying for quality and i was happy to pay this for the standard of food!
The staff were lovely and we really enjoyed our meal.
The loo's are not great but i wouldnt mark somewhere down for this!
I would throughly recommend here.

• Visited March 2013
Thank you very much for your review regarding Sunday lunch, we're really pleased you enjoyed the experience. We are particularly proud of our Sunday Lunches and have worked really hard to develop are current concept. The feedback in general as yours has been excellent.

With regards the Toilets they were re-decorated in 2012, and will be painted again this year. We are a small family business and they are not flash, but they are always clean. There is also an air freshener that sprays automatically every three minutes and changes the fragrance each time it sprays.