“Excellent menu”

Ranked #3 of 87 Restaurants in Driffield
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had Sunday lunch here today. Very good menu including three roasts, three fish dishes and a vegetarian option. The Roast Beef was excellent with al dente vegetables, roast and new potatoes and a superb Yorkshire Pudding. others had the plaice and a multi fish Thermidor which they really enjoyed. My partner said the plaice was just "melt in the mouth". We had been told that the portions were large so had avoided the starters. My mother asked for an 'old persons portion' and that was no problem to them. The puddings were equally good. Textures of Rhubarb included a brûlée, stewed pieces and a crumble; I enjoyed a selection of 5 excellent and varied cheeses and I finished off my mum's meringue (with sloe gin, raspberries and cream) which was lovely. Good selection of beers and wines. Main and pudding averaged around £20 per head. This is very much a pub rather than a restaurant and I had to order our meals at the bar (even with a reserved table). Very friendly staff and quite laid back service so no rush with the meal (I suppose if you were In a hurry you may think the service rather slow) which was good on a Sunday afternoon. Seriously considering going back in a couple of months with a family group for my 60th birthday. Booking recommended and take your time over the meal. Surroundings pleasant enough, quite a it of space, and they turned the music down when asked to do so by those on the neighbouring table. Hard to fault the place.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Visited with a colleague this week, it was mid week and fairly quiet but we were made to feel welcome and the food was excellent, well above the standard of routine pub food with a lot of locally sourced food. free refills on mineral water is a particularly nice touch.
This was my first visit but I will be back.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Pros
A really lovely pub with a great atmosphere
Dessert was delicious (Chocolate and Banana pot with Toffee and cinder toffee ice cream)
Cons
Quite expensive, starters £7-9 ish, mains £11-£25, all desserts £6.50
Had to order your food at the bar
Had to wait outside for the pub to open at 18:30 as we'd got there 10 minutes early for our 18:30 reservation.
There is no menu in the brasserie (not sure about the restaurant) so you have to read from the blackboards, a few trips back and forward would be needed if you have to relay it to the rest of the party.
Steak and kidney pudding didn't have a lot of steak in it but lots of kidney.

1  Thank Frag888
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I can only comment on lunchtime service, because I have never visited at night. However, my wife and I do regularly eat there in the bar. We have always eaten excellent food. True, service can be slow, especially when the Inn is full, as it usually is. But the meal is always worth waiting for, and the staff are always attentive.
Very good value!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Wellington is quite local to us and over the years we have been going they never disappoint. We went on Sunday 17th March for Sunday Lunch with two friends, it was excellent. Booking is really recommended as it is always full and once you have tried it you will understand why. The Food is outstanding Sarah and her husband Russell are both Chefs they are outstanding with their brigade of chefs. The Service is always excellent and it is always my restaurant of choice if we are eating locally. 5 Star without doubt.