“Proving Yorkshire is delicious! ”
Review of The Dining Room - CLOSED

The Dining Room
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Dining room provides contemporary British cuisine in a relaxed environment.
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Second time visiting the dining room and continue to be impressed. The food is sourced locally and as a result the food is tasty and fresh. We had bridlington crab followed by Yorkshire beef. Very very tasty, clearly a lot of thought goes into the recipes as the flavours compliment each other beautifully. We will keep coming back when we can and implore fellow Driffielders to give it a try if you haven't already.

A real gem, wouldn't change a thing!

2  Thank Jennifer B

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Having eaten at the dining room once before for sunday lunch and having thoroughly enjoyed it despite being the only people in there, we decided to return for a family members birthday. When we first arrived we got seated quickly and soon had our order taken. I felt very sorry for one of the waitresses, as serving in a restaurant which is supposed to be fine dining she really did't have much training. The way she presented her self and spoke like a mouse the poor girl was clearly very shy. When asked if I would like a drink the glass of wine I asked for she had never heard of and she said we just have dry or medium, which is not her fault no big deal but i just felt like there was a communication barrier and that we had to make all the effort to talk, when really she should be communicating better with us. Having looked at the sample menu online I was really excited to try the food as its also been highly recommended to us by various people, but when I saw the menu I was slightly disappointed. Having said that, when my starter came it was beautifully presented and so was everybody else's I also tried some of my partners soup which was delicious and lovely presented. Everything up until the mains was superb, when my main came having ordered the steak, it looked lovely but I just did't feel it tasted all that great. Two people had the steak and the other two the lamb and halibut which they said was nice one thing we all agreed on was there was just something missing with the mains, the main disappointment was the vegetables. So out came this beautifully presented main then after just a dump of bland veggies and potatoes mixed together in a bowl. They just didn't go with each other and tasted so bland. Everyone agreed the potatoes were unpleasant and the bowl was actually the same as when we had sunday lunch. Everything had character about the way it was presented then the way the vegetables came out just ruined it. Im all for fine dining and small portions etc but the steak really needed something else with it, a small amount of mash, a sauce or chips or something else. All the courses was lovely but the steak corse wasn't so great. My partner and I had the autumn platter, I was really disappointed that the banoffee pie was off it and the only one I really enjoyed was the chocolate dish, I really wish I had tried a different pudding but thats a fault to my self. Another downside was that the room was freezing, I was shivering the whole time I was in there. Maybe I should have brought a cardigan but I would have not thought i would have been so cold. So pros and cons really, unfortunately we wont be returning.

3  Thank Emnee
MartynDiningRoom, Owner at The Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our restaurant.

Having visited us previously and been happy, we are sorry that on this occasion your experience did not live up to your preconceptions.

We take all comments seriously and have looked into your negative experience.

I am sorry that you feel the main course was disappointing for a fine dining meal and lacking in mash or chips, which could of been provided if requested as we aim to cater for our customers needs.

Thank you for your feedback on the vegetables, we provide vegetables with every main course inclusive, and do not charge for such as some places, and we feel that the selection of 9 vegetables is suitable as an accompaniment to all of the main courses.

The Autumn dessert platter is a changing selection of miniature desserts, and i am sorry that you we disappointed by not having the bannoffee component and did not find it to your tastes.

I trust that the rest of the items received by your party, including the breads and complimentary amuse bouches and petit fours were all satisfactory to you as you did not comment on those in your review.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, our apologies that you did not enjoy your experience with us, and we will continue to address all comments so that future guests may have the experience you feel you didn't receive.

Yours faithfully

Martyn

Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and myself have been to The Dining Room several times now including Christmas Day 2012. The preparation, flavouring and presentation of the food is of Michelin star standard. I am sure one day he will be rewarded for his skill and talents. When we have made a booking I look forward to my meal as it's a real treat. Come on you people of Driffield and surrounding areas and see what you've been missing!

1  Thank Lesleyannmuir
Reviewed September 28, 2013

we arrived earlier than our booked table time which wasnt a problem, we were shown to our table by a lovely waiteress. both menus looked appetising we chose the a la carte menu. the food we chose was very well cooked & presented beautifully, the trio of game was delicous as was my husbands steak, desserts were equally as good, & the chocolates after the meal were delicous the downside was the room was quite cool then the back door was opened & it was quite chilly when we left we then realised that the cooking smells had stuck to our clothes they resembled being sat in a greasy spoon. shame really when dressed nice you dont want to visit the dry cleaners the next day, so sadly we shall not be visting again

1  Thank candybaby00
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We found the Dining Room through Tripadvisor so thought it only fair that we write a review. My husband and I have eaten at quite a few Michelin star restaurants and we would put the food we had at the Dining Room on a par with some of these restaurants. It is a little gem, the food was outstanding and the staff were attentive but not intrusive,thoroughly recommended.
Ursula