“Old world charm, clean and friendly, great gym and pool”

Best Western The Bell In Driffield
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Driffield
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Old style Hotel in the centre of town, I found the room a little dated and full of antque bits and bobs not realy my cup of tea but pleasant. The room and bathroom were clean and tidy. some moderniation would improve things a little. The room and reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The evening meal and breakfast were good

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank japtattoo
There are newer reviews for Best Western The Bell In Driffield

Reviewed May 9, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for two nights and whilst the staff were efficient and friendly the overall decor and furniture was similar to what was around and used in pubs in the seventies.(I know I used to run a hotel/pub) The rooms were furnished in old fashioned odd/not matching dark chunky furniture the style of which my grandparents had when I was a child in the sixties. The bathroom whilst clean was very old fashioned and badly needed updating and decorating. If you like quirky and like old fashioned this is the place for you. The plus side was that the staff were great and the food good and they clearly look after their cellar as the beer was good and they had a great range of whisky.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2011

The Bell Hotel in Driffield was a bit of a surprise. We were there for a friends wedding and after reading Tripadvisor we didn't know quite what to expect.
My first encounter was on the phone when I rang to see if I could swop my £120 a night web booking for an £88 per night preferred rate for wedding guests. The lady was really helpful and saved me some pennies.
When we arrived it was to a warm welcome by the lady who took our booking. The booking in was quick and efficient and we were shown to our room.
The hotel is dated but not in a bad way. Think about a sleep over at your great grannies and you are just about there. They have collected a whole heap of old and miss-matched furniture but for some reason its not wrong. The hotel seems to be held together by old fashioned wall paper and bric a brac but it feels warm and welcoming.
The bedroom was large and we had a 4 poster bed. The en suite had a bath, shower, loo and bidet but just like at grannies house, it didn't all work as it should but then again, it wasnt enough to disappoint. Breakfast was again old fashioned and seaside guest house like but there was plenty of it and the large tea pot of tea was a pleasure.
If we were visiting there again, we might stay there but not at the web rate!

Room Tip: Be prepared to take as you find and you will enjoy
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We recently contacted the Bell Hotel to hold our wedding reception there. We arranged an appointment to view the rooms yesterday and discuss our wedding. As we don't live in the area we took a day off work to view the hotel, and drove 50 miles to get there. Unfortunately due to traffic out of our control we were 25-30 minutes late for the appointment but I was told on the phone that anytime after 3pm was fine.
By the time we got to the reception of the hotel we were met to be told that the lady to show us round had gone home. She'd waited maybe 20 minutes and gone home?! We weren't offered any alternative arrangements by the lady that told us this. It was basically 'shes gone home' and that was it. Absolutely appauling.
We'd taken a day off from work and driven all that way for nothing. Obviously can't be bothered and think that they don't need the business! Fair play we were late...but we were told anytime after 3pm.
I think we'll be doing the Bell Hotel a favor by not using them for our reception, after all it would just mean more work for them to do, and as we found out....they just can't be bothered.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Pink_in_ink
Reviewed May 3, 2010

I stayed at the Bell in Driffield for an overnight stay with work. Here's what you need to know if you are thinking about staying:-

The Pros

1) Great gym and pool on site.
2) Car parking (although a little bit tight).
3) Fab Chinese restaurant across the road.

The Cons

1) Very very fussy decoration. It can only be described as the "anti Ikea" of the hotel world as EVERY surface in our room was coated in flowers or birds. It was like walking into something from my Grandma's fantasy furniture showroom! My colleague is a massive fan of "shabby chic" and "vintage" but it was even too much for her!

2) There are a lot of dead rooms that are made up as French bistros- we didn't see a single person in these rooms and it was all a little bit odd.

3) Whilst most of the staff were pleasant and helpful, at breakfast one of the waitresses made a beeline for 2 gentleman and asked, very loudly, if the rumours that they had shared a bed were true. Not very discreet and not something I would ever wish to witness again.

This hotel is in desperate need of an overhaul and whilst there are some nice elements to it, there are much better alternatives near by. I would have been very disappointed if I had had to pay the £110 bill myself. I won't be staying at the Bell again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2009

This place is seriously in need of some TLC outside of the main areas on the ground floor. Overpriced and not worth it. Better places outside the town. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank KhardyNorthYorks
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I had my wedding reception here. The food was fantastic but the communication I got from a certain member of staff responsible for the wedding side was a discrace. I found out 2 weeks before children under 16's cannot stay in the hotel.....I was not told this, i found out when my sister tried to book in with her kids. This was quite a bit issue as our own son could not stay with us! I was made to feel I was inconveniencing her with every request. My table centre-pieces have all 'dissapeared' too!
The spa was great and the staff there are lovely. Beware of the car park!!
I reccommend putting your foot down from day one if you are booking your wedding here and make sure promises and costs are written down at your first meeting.
Actually just ask for Amy and you should be fine.....

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bextress83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Driffield
Expanse Hotel
#9 of 17 in Driffield
White Horse Inn
White Horse Inn
#17 of 17 in Driffield

Been to Best Western The Bell In Driffield? Share your experiences!