“Disappointing”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
hull
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

WEnt here for a friends 50th birthday, had a champagne tea, oh dear, one glass of bubbly, a plate of third rate sarnies between 5 people, no herbal tea?? Couldnt accomadate one person wanting no butter her sandwiches, as they said they had no bread to make a fresh sandwich, one of our party then went out to get a bread loaf from her car and they wouldnt make a sandwich even then!! She did it herself! Lots of buns and cakes all bought from a supermarket, not a nice experience

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank JackyJoan
Trevor D, Owner at Monroe's Restaurant, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
How many glasses was you expecting for a 60% off deal on Groupon!! ( You could have paid for more if you wanted) as for the sandwiches there are 4 Quarters of triple sandwiches per person making 5 people 20 quarters which are 5 rounds, There was also a scone with jam and cream muffin, and 2 slices of cake and a tray bake per person, as for where we buy them they are all from local bakery in Driffield not a supermarket.
The lady that did not want any butter on her bread if when you had booked you had told us we of course would have done it for you. Your table was book for 12:30pm you turned up at 2:30pm 2 hours late as i explained we had the kitchen vents being cleaned so were not able to use the kitchen to do your sandwich.
We are not a tea room and do not get asked for herbal tea and as she carries one around with her looks like most places don't do it either. If a tea room is what you want go to Betty.
If I was going to take my friends out for a 50th Birthday I would not scrimp on a cheap Groupon deal then complain about it .( Try spending some money).

Pollington,
“Afternoon Tea - Tue 4th July 2012”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

What a delightful surprise. After reading other reviews we were not expecting much on our first visit. How wrong we were. Yes the room could do with a lick of paint but the decor is in keeping with the style the building - it certainly didn't deflect from the excellent service and food we received even though we were on a groupon voucher!!!

The tables were spotless and laid out beautifully and we were made extremely welcome by Trevor. We were offered a choice of fillings from Beef, Ham, Egg, Cheese, Chicken Tikka, Coronation Chicken and Prawn Mayonaise in a choice of white and brown bread. You each received 4 quarters made up of 3 slices of bread and extremely well filled with our choice of Beef, Ham, Chicken Tikka and Prawn Mayo. We then received 2 double cake holders filled with 4 large fruit scones (still warm) with jam and cream and at least 6 different variety of cakes (approx 15 pieces + 4 scones) , all washed down with a glass of sparkling wine and an endless supply of tea and coffee. In our party we had 4 adults and a 4 year old child - who ate 3 of the ham sandwiches and 2 of the cakes, and we still had 5 cakes left which were happily boxed up for us to take away. We are definitely going to be visiting again - next time to try a hot lunch which was being served around us and looked really good and excellent value for money. Finally and very importantly for us ladies - the Ladies toilets were spotless with plenty of toilet roll and a very good handdryer. All in all we were a very satisfied family and in the words of a 4 year old - "I hope your paying them lots because it was really good". She also says thank you for her colouring book, crayons and lollipop. x

• Visited July 2012
Driffield, United Kingdom
“Probably the worst meal I've never eaten!!!”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Having heard good reviews we booked a table for 5 at lunch time.
On entering the restaurant we waited to be seated as the sign requested and had to wait some 10 minutes to draw the attention of the 2 young waitresses who were busy taking a food order and serving drinks to a large party of a dozen or so people. We werenoticed but not acknowledged.The only other diners were a table of 2 and a table of 4.( no real issues so far )
Once seated we were shown the lunch time menu which did not offer a great deal, especially when compared with the evening menu, so we statred with drinks one of which had to be sent back as it was flat.
We placed our order but some 50 minutes later noticed that the large party who were ordering on our arrival had still not received their food, so we enquired with the apologetic waitress as to the readiness of our order and when she returned from the kitchen we were told that the chef had not even started on ours.
Somewhat disappointed and getting hungry we therefore decided to settle the drinks bill and cancel our food order.
When the wiatress returned from the kitchen on this occasion she told us rather embarrassingly that the chef had walked out.
As we got up to leave in search of somewhere that served food, I noticed that he large table had received their main course and it did look very good, but I'm afraid this was no consolation for our own hunger!
I am not one of life's complainers and didn't make a fuss: after all there are some very good alternatives in and around Driffield.
However what most compounded my disappointment was that the poor waitress was left to fend for herself at the front of house with no sign of a manager or supervisor to offer any apology or explanation.
It takes a lot to build a good reputation and it's a lot easier to earn a bad one.
That said, I would give Buffers a second chance, but only if they can guarantee food on the table!!!

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank Mongrel61
York, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!!”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Travelled through from York (about 30 miles) to try the restaurant out as had a Groupon voucher for a three course meal with coffee.. well, what can I say.. It was a very pleasant evening and comes highly recommended by me and my partner. I had a prawn cocktail which was the best ever (huge and tasty) followed by a steak which was perfect and the desserts were to die for!!
We were both very happy with the meal and the staff were very polite and helpful..Oh yes, the beer isn't too bad either with a good selection and very reasonable prices!!

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank MartininYork
Beverley, United Kingdom
“SUPERB!”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We had a 3 course meal with coffee using a Groupon voucher. We started with Whitebait, it's probably 20 years since I last ate these. They were really excellent, served with a tasty salad garnish and some mayonnaise, For the main course I had probably the best mixed grill I have ever had, excellent in content and a massive plateful! There was steak, lamb chop, pork chop, gammon steak and a huge hunk of superb sausage along with some great chunky chips, peas, salad garnish and some of the best onion rings I've had in a long time. My wife had home made chicken and mushroom pie which she said was lovely with nice big chunks of chicken and very tasty. For dessert she had an Irish Cream cheesecake which was nice, I had a really good piece of apple pie, all washed down with a perfect cup of coffee. Service was excellent, with a nice, cheerful waitress. Altogether a really excellent meal. If there was a downside it was the number of things on the menu that were not available. We were advised about this as we made our choices, but there was quite a long list. However, there were quite a few specials we could choose from - whitebait being one of those.

• Visited May 2012