“the roaring Red lion”

The Red Lion
Ranked #12 of 17 Driffield B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Red lion Driffield
check in by Jo very pleasant showed us to our room which was clean tidy and comfortable we had a stroll round Driffield plenty of little shops couple of banks pubs all over the place and places to eat. We chose the red lion and glad my wife and I did. food was fantastic sirloin steak salad chips tomato mushrooms all big portions and cooked to perfection 3 pints of Stella two soft drinks £30:00 what a bargain all served by Katie a very polite and friendly
Sleep very comfy bed nice warm room entertainment on in the lounge no noise even though we was above the room. The upstairs is currently getting a face lift the building is old and very quirky but nice
Breakfast we thought we would miss breakfast as web site says served form 9am but Jo informed us service was from 7am which was a bonus as we had to be at a christening at 9am breakfast was huge cooked by a lovely lady chef who also served us you can order it the night before and state what time you want it .we both ordered a full breakfast and it had everything so much we could not eat it all .and did not what ant thing to eat for a good while .over all a nice weekend friendly staff and a nice mix of people who use the pub we will be back next year for the wedding

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I booked a room at this pub/hotel through Hotels.com. I was going to spend the day with my family so I thought as a matter of courtesy I would call in at the hotel in the morning and warn them that I would be late checking in. I knocked at the front door for about ten minutes then walked round the back. The back door was open, the bar was unattended with glasses from the previous night still on tables. There was a general smell of frying and stale beer. I could have stolen anything I liked. I shouted and got no reply. I found a door marked 'Private' and after hammering for ten mintues I finally managed to get a young woman to come down. She said very aggressively, we don't open until 3 pm. it is on the website. I tried to explain that I was not trying to check in, just to let them know I would be late. She was very rude, told me she wasn't feeling well and couldn't do anything for me. I finally got her to call somebody else from up another staircase and I asked the second woman to make a note of my visit. She said she was just the cleaner. I decided that I could not stay at such a badly-run hotel, and asked her to cancel my booking. She said my fee (I had paid in full) could only be returned via my debit card, which I accepted. That was in August and I have still not had it back. Hotels.com keeps telling me they will respond in 72 hours and that they cannot contact the hotel. Apparently, they have never heard of letters and stamps. I stayed with a family member and whilst the room fee was quite small I feel the management of the hotel and the booking agent should have responded in a timely way to my complaint.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank monacoEastYorkshire
Reviewed September 22, 2012

If you are shopping on a Saturday Morning in Driffield, just walk a little way out of town, you won't be disapointed.
Huge breakfasts are served until noon, then they become part of the lunch menu, they consist of good quality ingreedients and the atmosphere is much more pleasant than the chain pub down the road.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Two of us needed to crash out and get cleaned up and have a meal after a long day, and this was the only b and b with vacancies. The lady who checked us in was great,( a potential manager in the making) but the landlord has very little inter personal skills, so please beware all would be guests, he must have had a bad day,however everyone we met elsewhere was very nice. It was only £32.50 a night, the rooms were clean, and fit for purpose, albiet have been refurbished on a tight budget!!!. The noise from the bar will irritate you until early hours if you intend to have an early night, and the walls are paper thin, read into this what you may!!. Advice here is to pack ear plugs. The breakfast in the morning is huge, and great quality, but it need not be this large, im sure it puts people off, but again some may want it like this. Best attritribute of this hotel is that its only 100 metres away from Wetherspoons, where theres great food at great prices.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the church next door, ding dong all night
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We stayed at the Red Lion recently and attended a 60th birthday party. The entertainment was marvellous. We stayed in the bar most of the night and found the bar staff very friendly and accommodating. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andy D
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Aty a charge of £30 for the nigt including breakfast you cannot expect a great deal! Travelling on my own I am not too fussy and it was a cheap stay. However if I was on a leisure break or with my wife i would not choose this place.

The shower did not work so I took a bath instead. It was one of those showers that was impossible to control the temperature, and flowed at a dribble. A loose toilet seat must have been obvious and is not difficult to fix.

Noise from the bar is to be expected, and the church is quite obvious!

I dont think the landlord is very interested in customer satisfaction, the lady who checked me in was very pleasant and helpful.

Booking your breakfast the night before is not to everyone's taste, and it was the worst cup of tea I have ever had.

But it ws only £30............

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve W
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I recently stayed over at the red lion whilst working away and I was dissapointed.lovely rooms great bar with plenty of selection,the food wasn't bad atall and was very well priced (the breakfast is unbelievable).the owners are a great couple and make you feel very welcome. However the breakfast one morning was totally forgotten about but we stayed there a few weeks and that was the only slip up so I put that down to a simple mistake. Will happily stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011