“Best Italian meal for a long time”

Marco Polo Pizzeria
Ranked #33 of 83 Restaurants in Driffield
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Called in at marco polos for a Saturday night teatime treat.
service was excellent - despite it being so busy we were made welcome and yes the blonde haired lady is brilliant but so are all the other staff.
Our pizzas were delicious - the tomato sauce is lovely and my favourite garlic prawns pizza hit the mark.
My son loves going there and my partner - not so keen on italian food - agrees that we must go back soon.
Excellent food, great service and not expensive thanks to the early bird prices
Well worth a visit.
my only criticism is the toilets - although clean they could do with a revamp as quite dated

There are newer reviews for Marco Polo Pizzeria

Reviewed February 24, 2013

What can I say , the best pizza we have eaten outside of Italy, and believe me we know Italy as we have a house there ! Authentic base tasty traditional quality toppings, non of your run of the mill pizza chain muck served here.
The Ragu sauce for the bolognaise was sublime. Service excellent would highly recommend this place, Prices are soooo affordable Safe to say we will be returning soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Our family party ate at Marco Polo on a quiet Sunday night. We were looked after by the smashing blond lady who has been previously mentioned. She was wonderful and seems to do everything else too, bar the cooking . The menu is good, amazingly cheap, with a large specials board, however its the food that lets the place down. The best way I can describe the food is bland. We all had different things - a mix of pizza,s, spaghetti and pancakes. Non of if it could be described anything other than average. Its a shame really as its a nice place, with dull uninspiring food. As someone has recently posted, I,d go back with the kids for something quick and cheap, other than that I wouldnt bother.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have always enjoyed going to Marco Polo's over the years however, on my past two visits I feel the place is really going downhill. Now this may be due to the fact that I work in a well known restaurant and understand how they are run effectively and I feel those qualities are no longer reflected here. To begin with the Italian girl really lets the service down, her lack of understanding English really doesn't help when trying to ask about dishes/anything in general. To make matters worse she was sat 5 different tables (including us) within 10 minutes of our arrival meaning she was slammed and immediately panicking. These tables should have been evenly distributed to both sides for service to be slick.

Starters as usual were great however the issue was with the mains and in particular - the timing of them. Just one main was bought out and then we waited....and waited...whilst two other tables were served their dishes whilst it started to get cold. Finally a couple more came.....then a wait....then a couple more.....and then finally my own. We had no cutlery/new napkins and had to leave the table to collect our own. At no point were we offered a top-up of drinks and could never get the waitresses attention as she was no where to be seen. Thank god for the blonde lady who works so hard trying to do everything at once - she really is a credit to the place.Two waitresses is great in terms of profit but not great in terms of keeping customers happy. The food at the end of the day is great - you get what you pay for. However we had to ask more than once for desserts, it got to the point where we just could't be bothered.

Overall a great need for improvement Marco Polo's - please consider hiring an extra hand to go on the bar/prepare ice creams/run food as the two girls really could have done with the help.

I'd still return, however with hesitation and only at happy hour.

1  Thank TheWhiteRabbit21
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I guess you either love this place or you hate it! We used to go regularly some years ago but now find it unnecessarily noisy and the food is really very average. we occasionally go back to see whether it has improved but ... not yet. Nice, I guess for a child's birthday treat or similar but not my idea of a good value night out. I would recommend crossing the road.

I also have a pet hate - being called "'unny", "luv", "darl'" etc - for some reason men have generally stopped doing it but some women (the waitress here!) do it incessantly - drives me mad! Though I have to admit the service was quick and efficient.

1  Thank Loumx