“Excellent food with great service.”

Mariners Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 146 Restaurants in Bideford
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We will be closed on Thursday 9th, Wednesday 15th and Thursday 16th March. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. Mariners (Formally Lathwells) is a Grade Two listed historic building in one of Bideford's oldest streets. The building dates back to the 1700's. History tells us it has been a Mariners house, an Inn, a sowing school, a private house and now a restaurant. Mariners is small, intimate and relaxing. The table is yours for the evening. Our food is cooked from fresh to order. We pride ourselves on seasonal fish and meat from the Bay Area as far as possible. Our menu changes often with specials featuring on a daily basis. We look forward to meeting you. Booking is strongly advisable to secure a table. We are open Wednesday - Saturday from 6.30pm. Last food orders are taken at 8.30pm.
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Really lovely food. Great service and atmosphere. Really cannot recommend it highly enough. Rang next day to ask about a lost phone, they could not have been more helpful.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

My sister booked the restaurant for the Saturday night to save us cooking at mum and dads.
We hadn't been to lathwells before and with some of the recent reviews on the negative side we approached with some trepidation. What revelation, from the moment we entered were all made very welcome. The staff were very efficient and attentive. The food was excellent,wine very good and reasonably priced. The restaurant had a great buzz and atmosphere.
All five of us had a great experience, so much so that for the first time ever I thanked the chef (owner John Emms) personally
We will definitely will be going back and are considering holding my mothers 80th birthday party there in September.

1  Thank Catkin141
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I thoroughly recommend this lovely restaurant in Bideford. The service and food were excellent. Nothing was too much trouble for the waiting staff - extra gravy offered - I didn't even have to ask! Personally felt under-dressed in a hooded top and jeans. Will definitely go back if in the area.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is the second time we have eaten here while visiting Bideford. What a pleasure it was to find out that the second time was as good as the first.
Everything is perfect from the way that you are greeted to the excellent food that they always seem to serve here.
If you are looking for somewhere to have a special meal then this is the place. But don't forget to book, we went on a very wet Thursday evening and the place was full.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is one of the greatest places I've eaten. In the small town off Bideford I was not expecting to find something so nice. Staff were amazing. Lesley took care of the table and was so friendly and treated us like family. We also met the chef John who came out to say hello and se if we had enjoyed the meal. The decor is lovely and I had the best evening with my fiancée. I will be going back when in Devon next. Thanks to the team for a great experience x