“A gem of a B&B”

Ranked #15 of 37 Bideford B&B and Inns
Copthorne, United Kingdom
“A gem of a B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

This is a cracking little B&B if you're staying in Bideford. We had an excellent welcome and were taken straight to our delightful rooms. The welcome was then extended to tea and shortbread in the lounge despite there being tea making facilities in the rooms.

The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. One of the most comfortable nights sleep I've had for a long time. Nice bathroom with Molton Brown soaps etc.

Breakfast was served in a very pleasant breakfast room with views over the garden. A very good choice of cereals, fruit and cooked.

The owner, Heather, is delightful and very keen to ensure you enjoy your stay. The only downside is that she let on that she is looking to sell up and retire. Just hope the new owners if and when it happens maintain the same high standards.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

This was our first experience of an English bed and breakfast for years and we were delighted with the experience. Everything was top quality from the elegant breakfast room where everything shone with cleanliness. Top quality napery and cutlery added to the excellent choice of cereals (I counted twelve!) fruit juices, fresh fruit and top quality cooked breakfast ingredients.
Our hostess was charming and friendly and we will certainly go to the Mount again. In fact if you don't sleep well, make a beeline to The Mount just for a wonderful night's sleep in the comfiest bed I've ever slept in.

Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

Stayed just the one night but were very happy with our stay. Superb beds; probably the best night's sleep away from home (though I'm sure the boozy evening out helped there as well).

The Mount is five minutes stroll from central Bideford so an ideal place to stay. Tasty breakfast; I just wish I'd read the night before that smoked fish was available if pre ordered.

Guildford, Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

We used The Mount as a base for exploration for the area and found it welcoming, clean and inviting. Great breakfast and parking was a bonus.

Bideford itself isn't the most attractive town - unfortunately it clearly has suffered from lack of investment and lack of tourists over the years (basically coming from Surrey we are probably a little spoilt with Waitrose and Gastropubs (!)....)

Downsides - Georgian House so a little breezy in places and the hot water conked out. Otherwise a nice little place to spend a weekend.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

To be honest, I feel I have stayed at a different establishment to previous guests. I have never written a negative review before but felt the need to this time.
I guess I am far more used to my creature comforts than the Mount could provide:
Heating in the rooms (it was very cold in my not double glazed room and the heating was only on for less than an hour on some very chilly evenings, and it was not enough to heat the room.
Two bath mats were provided (as my hosts had gone out around that evening, I could not ask for towels and was disappointed to find I still had not been given towels the next day. When I asked Andrew for towels he wasn't particularily apologetic.)
Unfortunately my breakfast experience didn't measure up. The cereal packets were dusty and the cereal stale.
Sadly, Room No 1 needs redecorating, it has some lovely furniture but the peeling wall paper needs replacing.
This B&B is priced at £80 for a double and I am glad I didn't stay here with my husband as I think we would have checked out...........guess I have just been unlucky this time! I had booked last minute due to some family plans and did not want to bother moving on.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank sarahgrey
fordingbridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the mount in bideford, and we had such a lovely time and we felt it important to mention this great establishment.
The room was beautiful, the bed was so very soft and cosy and a lovely hospitality tray. The breakfast was fab, all great quality items, fruit juice, fruit, a multitude of cereals, yoghurts, and i can not forget the cooked options, wonderful sausages and bacon, perfectly cooked eggs, mushrooms and tomatos, and piping hot coffee, a lovely trip can highly recommend

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Bradford on Avon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

Our double room was clean and comfortable. Bit on the small side and we struggled with somewhere to put our overnight bags. Breakfast excellent. Thought this was good value for money and I would recommend this one.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple