“Good gallery”
Review of Burton at Bideford

Burton at Bideford
Ranked #14 of 38 things to do in Bideford
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Not normally my thing but I was invited to attend a preview here of a new art exhibition. The gallery is clean, well run and easy to get around. I was impressed by how keenly many of the other attendees enjoyed the art work and the visiting expert added lots of interesting detail in his talk. I've also heard that the cafe is excellent, although didn't have time to try it myself. Considering this is run by the council and has free entry, its well worth a visit. They also have lost of activity events for all ages, so worth checking out their website to see whats on when visiting Bideford.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We visited Bideford and were somewhat underwhelmed with the town but impressed by the Bideford Museum. There was a exhibition by Clive Bowen a local potter firing his pots and just had to buy one of his pots! After buying it we were informed by the curator who told us all about him and the local slipware, where a lot of the chards were found etc. A very entertaining afternoon was had by all...
Visit this Museum, also has the tourist information in it but don't visit the cafe run by grumpy French men...

1  Thank baan k
Reviewed August 5, 2012

On my way to find the picture of the Bideford hero Sir Richard Grenville ("At Flores in the Azores, Sir Richard Grenville lay..."), I had to go through the museum ceramics gallery, which I found most impressive - far more so than the picture, in fact.

There are pieces from all periods and of many different sorts (pipes, fascinating pieces with writing on them, harvest jugs...), but the galley specialises particularly in something called North Devon Slipware, which is absolutely astonishing in its variety, freshness and daringness. Not boring at all.

Downstairs there's a shop and a cafeteria, which to judge from the number of people that morning must be very popular locally, and outside there's Victoria Park, with flowerbeds, trees, and lots of green grass where children can play, and cannon captured from the Spanish Armada around the bandstand in the middle.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

The exhibition at the moment is good.I tend to go for the coffee and food at lunch time .They appear to have a french chef who knows how to prepare good simple meals.

1  Thank FalmouthLucy
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We travelled from Suffolk for the Wilhelmina Barnes-Graham temporary exhibition as we weren't able to get to Orkney for the Pier Gallery showing. We were not disappointed by the elegant space and immaculate hanging of these stunning works - well worth the trip. The permanent collection and the contemporary craft display are beautifully curated and the park surroundings and riverside location provided a relaxing break before moving on to explore more of the North Devon coast. If you are hungry the adjacent Cafe du Parc serves excellent food, glasses of wine, cups of coffee etc. in a congenial atmosphere. In all a credit to Bideford.

2  Thank noredtram