“Very tired”
Review of Durrant House

Durrant House
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bideford
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed for one night as a stop over for a business meeting and although the staff were all lovely there didn't seem to be enough of them ! We booked a table for dinner when we arrived and went to our room via a weird room / hall walk through with a pool table and a ironing board and iron. The room was ok ish with a huge glass wash basin that seemed to take over the bathroom and a TV that we couldn't get to work. When we went to the restaurant for dinner no staff were present and when someone did appear we weren't booked in but the service was very good after that. Breakfast was faultless. It's a lovely hotel but everything just looked and felt very tired.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SandieDevon

Reviewed June 3, 2014

I was rather apprehensive about staying at Durrant House. It was my second choice in Bideford as my first choice was fully booked. It looked like a large hotel (by British standards) situated amidst relatively modern development and seemed to lack character in the external photos I'd seen. I had one of the slightly more expensive rooms with a view over the estuary and new Bideford bridge. The room was larger than average with a sofa and the bathroom had an unusual, stylish glass sink. The guests were a mixture of independent guests and coach parties, although coach parties often used a different room for meals. The hotel also hosted functions (I understand from other guests that these could become a bit raucous although I wasn't there at the weekend to witness this). The restaurant rooms had an Edwardian feel, with wood panels and bird prints on the walls. There was a choice of bar style meals or more formal dishes. The quality and range was reasonable. The foyer had a white fountain with a goldfish pool. There was only one small lift, which was adequate whilst we were there but I imagine could lead to a long wait if the hotel was full. There was plenty of onsite parking. All in all, it was a comfortable hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Specifically book a superior room with an estuary view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2014

My Wife and I stayed at the Durrant on 30th May 2014 and found it to be very friendly and a lovely atmosphere, we checked in fairly quickly and were given a room on the 2nd floor.
The room was very well equipped, clean and well furnished, the bed was very comfortable and lots of pillows and cushions.
We had dinner in the Olive tree restaurant within the hotel and were surprised to find it was very reasonably priced and excellent quality food and the service from the waiter( sorry I never got his name) was impeccable.
Also within the Hotel is a lounge bar where you can also get food served which was very reasonably priced as were the drinks, I would recommend this Hotel for Value,Quality and Service.
We will definitely be returning to this hotel.
I wouldn't say that I am easily pleased but there was a lovely comfy feeling about this place which would suit just about anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Denis K
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Hotel was ok, a bit far away from sea. Hotel had 3 coach parties, this didn't cause us any issues at all. Breakfast was plentiful. Only issue was the amazing sink In the bathroom: glass and dark wood looked out of place in the bathroom, too big for the area.

We didn't eat a meal at the hotel, felt snacks were of poor quality and expensive.

Room Tip: some rooms have been refurbished
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynne5460
Reviewed May 29, 2014

the durrant house hotel is very good, food excellent and service second to none, only downfall was the drinks were a bit expensive, but the hotel makes up for that. the location is quite far out of town, but the local bus stop is right outside of the hotel.

1  Thank ivorandrews
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This was the second time I had stayed at the Durrant, both on dance week ends. The hotel gives a very good impression on arrival, good reception area, lovely traditional decor, wood panelling and marble floors. The reception staff were friendly and efficient. However, upon entering our room at the rear, on the second floor. I was hit by the shabbiness and lack of cleanliness. There were dirty tissues beside the bed, a plastic top and dust. The mattress was old and soggy. The bed linen barely covered the mattress. I immediately went back to reception and voiced my concerns. I was shown four further rooms and settled on the fifth as it had a new bed! The ensuite however was awful. Black mouldy slime around taps and bath handles. Thick dust on the light above the basin a heap of dirt, fluff and hair stuck behind the door. The bedhead and sofa, which was covered with plastic leather, was worn away and flaking off. We could endure the shabbiness but not the dirty state of the bathroom. This and the bedroom needed a deep clean. The bedroom window, around the frame, was also very dirty. I also had to ask for the linen to be changed as there was a tear in tbe sheet and looked as if someone had been sleeping in it as the linen was so creased.

So two years on from our visit the condition and cleanliness of the rooms and bathrooms had deteriorated drastically.

On the plus side, the restaurant was very as was the food and the service. The ballroom was also good for dancing but it is not a wooden floor.

Room Tip: Check the bed on arrival and the cleanliness of the bathroom
2  Thank Welltravelled123-0
Reviewed May 28, 2014

absolute terrible experience.
spoke to what i was told was the owner and she was incredible rude to me
staff were struggling. seems like the new staff had no training.
our table clothes had stains all over them.
our room stank of damp and we found mold in the bathroom

11  Thank 123cheekycharlie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bideford
Yeoldon House Hotel
#1 of 4 in Braunton
The Imperial Hotel
The Imperial Hotel
#1 of 6 in Barnstaple

Been to Durrant House? Share your experiences!