“Brilliant weekend”
Review of Durrant House

Durrant House
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bideford
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay with GB tours, Hotel welcoming, friendly and food top notch. Our room 153 was fantastic, Huge wooden carved 4 poster bed, 2 person Jacuzzi, couch, fridge etc, felt really spoilt. Bar prices reasonable all in all good value. Will definately go back for the Jacuzzi. Brilliant place.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a Jacuzzi, well worth it.
1  Thank geoned57
There are newer reviews for Durrant House

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just returned from 3 nights weekend break at the Durrant House Hotel in Bideford.Went with GB Tours.Hit the jackpot with the room,king size four poster bed,an electric fire place with living flame effect and blown hot air heating and a two person jaccuzi bath The bath had water jets and air jets.Word of warning,don,t put radox in the bath water and switch on the air jets,there was foam everywhere.Food and service was excellent and the Hotel was very nicely decorated with a large car park if you go by car.

Room Tip: room 119 has the jaccuzi
2  Thank keithfromneath
Reviewed June 24, 2013

On arriving at the hotel (after a 3 hour drive) there was no booking made for us even though we had a confirmation letter. I understand that mistakes happen however we were made to feel like we were in the wrong - I can only describe the man on reception as rude! Not once were we offered an apology, he answered the phone whilst dealing with us, he disappeared 3 times to go and speak to his manager - Surely the manager should have come and spoken to us?? Eventually we got a room, we were told it overlooked 'the river' - it actually overlooked the car park!! On the way to the room, I was carrying some bags and a cleaner was in front of me - she opened the door and let go of it so it closed in my face.

We went out for the day as we didn't want to spend anytime in the hotel after the way we had been treated. That evening we ate at a restaurant in Bideford, we got chatting to the waitress and she asked where we were staying - my reply was 'don't ask' to which she replied 'oh that must be durrant house then!!' It would appear that the problems we encountered are normal and happens quite a lot so I am surprised that there are not more poor reviews on here.

When we went back in the evening we bought a drink in the bar, when we went back for a second round it was dearer, when I questioned the bar man he said ' that is the price' 'you should have paid more last time' in quite a rude and aggressive manner. by this time I had had enough and went to reception to complain. Kate ( who I believe is new there) was very helpful and moved me and my husband to a slightly better room.

This break was supposed to be relaxing as my Husband had a heart attack 8 weeks ago and we wanted to enjoy a night away together - This hotel ruined that. If by writing this review I can stop somebody else from the hellish experience we had then it was worth the time and effort.

6  Thank Sharon S
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel, the room was small but had everything required to make our stay comfortable, room included hairdryer, TV with freeview, tea/coffee making facilities, fan. The bathroom was very modern with comfortable towels and lots of hot water, large shower head over bath. The resturant, and bar area was very nice, and the food was very good at a reasonable price too. Our service was excellant at all times. Only problem we experienced was we did not get the wakeup calls we asked for, but as a second backup I had set my phone alarm, I did tell them at reception and they said it must have been a fault of the machine. I would definately be happy to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you need lots of space room 215 was very small, but comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SomersetRosemary
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Very reasonably priced, with a good specials menu with lots of choice, great kids menu, very nice staff would really recommend for a nice evening that won't break the bank. I would book though as it can be very busy at times. The 7.50 special menu of main course and sweet can even be had in the main restuarant

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mozziefood
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed here for one night on 6th June 2013 as I was in the area for business. I stayed in a double room and the rate included breakfast, and at £40 it was very good value.

The room was clean and comfy, however I had requested a quiet room which it wasn't; it was room 233 and next to a lobby door in the corridor outside, which I could hear every time somebody went through it. Also, the room was at the front of the hotel so I could hear cars going past on the main road. It wasn't too bad, just not as quiet as I would have liked.

Breakfast was super - buffet cereals, toast, juice, cakes, pastries etc with waitresses taking orders for hot food also.

The staff were very friendly and I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RoxyCasey
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We booked a 4 night self drive holiday and thought the hotel gave bery good value for money. I am a fussy vegetarian but was very pleased with the choices on the menus for dinners. We found the room clean, bright and comfortable, the staff friendly and helpul.
The one downside was, after my initial excitement at finding the swimming pool was open, discovered upon inspection that it was probably not adviseable to enter the water as there was so much algae on the pool bottom and sides. Surely this should be cleaned at the start of a season.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PhilippaLewis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bideford
Yeoldon House Hotel
#1 of 4 in Braunton
The Imperial Hotel
The Imperial Hotel
#1 of 6 in Barnstaple

Been to Durrant House? Share your experiences!