“excellent”

Ranked #11 of 142 Restaurants in Bideford
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2013

having ate at the thatch many times,and always good,first time for sunday lunch.as it was fathersday,had a treat.from being shown to our table,in the new part,very nice,to the young lad saying goodbye,all was excellent.there was 8 of us,and we all had either roast pork or beef.taste was like a sunday roast should taste,and the staff very good.would highly recommend.will go back again and again.well done to you all.pity you get the odd not so pleasant comments,but it is a country pub,with good food,not a posh expensive restaurant.keep it up.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is the second visit to the thatched inn and wont be the last. Being local we have seen the sign on the A39 many times, but never really ventured off the main road. When we entered the pub we were met with staff who were friendly,welcoming and talkative, the bar and restaurant are both very clean. The food is not good, its very good! and also great value for money. Basically what more can you ask for? Would definitely recommend.

1  Thank Lee566
Reviewed June 12, 2013

came here once already and enjoyed it that much i came back . and once again it was a delight ! . hot fresh food great service and nice to see alot of options on drinks . new dining areas are great .and kepted very clean. beer garden is big enough and beautiful for kids dogs and familes to have a enjoyable meal .

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Went to the Thatched Inn for dinner after making a reservation. Having read previous reviews were cautious as on holiday from Berkshire and used to quality restaurants with atmosphere and good value. Nice building, served by a minor who did not know what bottled beers were available because he was underage, however, very polite young man. Sirloin steak and fries twice, medium, easy, apparently not. Very bland, rare, tasteless food with congealed packet sauces as per McDonalds. Seats being cleaned and cutlery being laid at 2050pm. Left, paid bill and did not complain as the business model throughout is appalling. Not busy, worst meal ever. Would have given feedback but did not where to start. Proprietors polite but need help.

3  Thank Trevor C
Mark Anthony G, Owner at The Thatched Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Although we welcome constructive criticism here at The Thatched Inn, I am having difficulty digesting this review because of a few points that have been raised. The Points are totally unjustified and unsupported and I would like to clear these up.

Firstly ALL of my staff are of legal age and are allowed to work and serve in a public house. I have ever employed minors and run my business within the guidelines of the law. This comment is unfair as the reviewer has no correct information to support this comment. Therefore it totally devalues the rest of the review.

Secondly, my sauces (ie Heinz Tomato Sauce) are served in packets as this is the most hygienic way off serving sauces.
I have worked in other establishments and know that sauces served in pots are used and refilled a number of times in one shift to save wastage. which to me if filthy. Therefore myself and Mcdonalds will continue to sever sauces the CLEAN way.

Thirdly, My business does not need your help! I have ran this business for 21 years going from strength to strength in this time and witnessing every other eating establishment within north devon changing hands at least twice or if not going bust!

Lastly, I'm sorry that you feel laying up tables at 20.50hrs is not exceptable but I for one would rather see a clean and presentable dining room, rather than one with dirty tables.

This reviewer is purely a troll and once again highlights the pitfalls within trip advisor.

I'am not saying we get it right every time and for our shortcoming on your visit I will apologise. However it would have been a lot more useful to myself had you spoken to me face to face rather than cowardly on here.

I would like to reassure all my customers that here at The Thatched Inn, we offer value for money, good home cooked PUB food in a relaxed environment. We will continue to carry on doing what we have been doing successfully for 21 years.

Mark Gordon
Manager

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Booked here for a party of 14 last saturday even and couldnt believe the new conservatory now added on the back, its abit of the way of the bar area but im told that will change from september 13. The new rooms are lovely and the food spot on as usual. all of us ate at the same time, everything hot and cooked perfectly.
The staff are great and the whole place is a wonder example of a old English pub with great character and atmosphere.