“Avoid”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I went to the Spice when it opened and as it was pretty poor, we gave it a miss to go there again. Last night, I decided to get a take away from there last and realised that even after all the time it has been open, the quality has not improved. We had two main, one rice and two Naan £18 (April 2013) and I thought it was a waste of money. The Chicken Korai was watery and tasteless as was the Bhuna. The Naan's we smaller than most Indians and I will not go there again despite living in the town.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I eat here about twice a year when I visit my father. I am a real curry aficionado: can't get enough of it. The Spice is pretty average: neither great, nor bad. They have one or two special dishes, all of which are quite unusual and quite tasty, without being exceptional (the Makhani is good). Starters are par for the course. The naan breads are really good. Best of all, they have Cobra on tap. Avoid Fridays and Saturdays when the place is heaving and the service consequently a bit on the slow side. Good, friendly staff.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

The Spice has a lift from the ground floor up to the restuarant for disabled and wheelchair users, it has fabulous views over Torrige River. The menu was varied and the food excellent, plus a first rate service.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

...Utterly dire.

I went down to Instow for the weekend with a group of friends. Now, we're regular curry conoisseurs, dining out every month at various establishments in Bristol, so our hopes were possibly set rather higher than most. On the flipside, it meant we know what makes a curry good.

But such hopes were comprehensively dashed. Firstly, the service was slow to the point of ridiculous- Forgivable maybe for a busy Saturday night. But not "hour's wait for ANYTHING" forgivable.

Secondly, our wait was punctuated with the constant screaming of one of the member of staff's children. For a good hour and a half. Clearly, said child was exhausted and upset, but they kept them in the middle of the restaurant. Almost to the point that some of the parents amongst us felt we needed to say something and really draining after a while.

Thirdly, whilst some of the food was barely passable, most of it was utterly terrible. My friend's "mixed grill" consisted of various pieces of chicken only. My curry included a "boiled" egg, which would be more accurately described as "fossilised", and some thoroughly iffy pieces of chicken in a thoroughly mediocre sauce.

I've been to India. I've eaten paneer there, and paneer here, but none tasted like that dished up at the Spice. Horrific- Either burnt or off, it tasted, just, wrong.

After a heated negotiation, we paid a discounted bill, and left in relief.

Seriously, if you even slightly know your food, avoid this place. Having lots of Thai and Indian dishes on the same menu isn't a sign of a good restaurant.

On the plus side, the draught beer is excellent. But it's hard to mess that up.

In conclusion- Glacially slow service, fair to dire food, unpleasant eating atmosphere- Avoid.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

It's very convenient to have both Thai and Indian cuisine at The Spice, in order to cater for a wide variety of diner preferences. We were seated at a first floor window table with an evening view of the prettily illuminated Bideford long bridge and quay. Probably the best view in town. The food was tasty, fresh and served by friendly efficient staff. The four of us ordered a range of dishes from very spicy to very mild, with excellent draught Cobra beer or quality bottled cider. A very pleasant experience on a quiet Sunday winter evening.
There is a lift available for those who are unable to manage the stairs,and a takeaway service.