“Doesn't live up to the hype”
Review of The Pig

The Pig
Ranked #20 of 62 Restaurants in Brockenhurst
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Uncomplicated and simple British garden food, true to the micro seasons and influenced by the forest and coast, with the emphasis squarely on fresh, clean flavours.
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Had to wait several weeks for a reservation and was expecting great things but....
Fantastic setting and lovely building didn't compensate for the very average food. High prices plus small portions and a rather rushed service added to the feeling that we'd fallen for some clever marketing.

2  Thank mike_b1299
Write a ReviewReviews (1,310)

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We visited this restaurant for a romantic dinner, it was packed so I would recommend to book in advance.
The restaurant area is in a glass house with a lot of potted plants. The light is dimmed making for a cosy atmosphere and the decor is rural chic I'd say.

The food was exquisite and the portions were quite generous.
The wine is on the expensive side however, we paid £40 for a bottle of classic French red - (I don't think it was worth that price)
The total bill came to £120 for a 3 course meal for 2 plus wine, so all in all quite reasonable.

We first got a table which was in the pathway of the waiting staff so it felt like we were sitting in a corridor. we considered leaving as it was not private but after we asked to be moved, they luckily had a last table in a more secluded area which we could move to.
We had a fabulous evening after that!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

My wife took me to The Pig for my birthday. We spent a night there and enjoyed a wonderful lunch, dinner and breakfast the following morning. Ambiance, service and over all impressions were great! We stayed mid week and we will definitely return.

Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

After getting married on 1st march we wanted to getaway for a few nights after. We were recommended here by three sets of different close friends so thought it must be great! They had raved about it.
Unfortunately the food is well over rated. I'm not sure if we were just a bit unlucky but here is our experience.
Went for a drink in bar mid afternoon. Not a particularly warm welcome for a start. Asked to take a seat & given drinks menu. Eventually he came over, took our order & disappeared. After about 25 mins or so drinks arrived & realised he has given us incorrect beer. Fine, simple mistake but a bit annoying after waiting so long.
Later on had a reservation for dinner. Not an overly warm welcome to the restaurant, no mention or congratulations that we had just got married. I wasn't expecting any fuss but a congratulations wouldnt have gone amiss!
Ordered wine & beer.
Wine was not particularly cold but just about passable.
Thought the piggy bits sounded a bit different so ordered 4 seperate ones to share.....awful...big mistake.
Scones extremely heavy with fatty bacon in.
Chorizo sticks inedible.
Pork bites ...a lump of fat with smallest amount of tasteless meat at end. (Supposed to be chilli & honey or such like)
Pork crackling - ok
So disappointed ; (
Thought mains would be great. ..
Wrong again...
My husband ordered pork & leek pie. ..minus the pork. Wooden platter with the smallest amount of luke warm mash on side...no gravy....the pie sauce tasted nice but so little pork...for a place shouting about its amazing pork where was it! What a complete joke!
Ordered another drink...only mine came, had to ask again for my husbands beer.
I ordered soup which was tasty. I then ordered the blue cheese & beetroot tart.
This consisted of a soggy, tasteless piece of rectangular pasty in the middle of plate on its own with a few bits slung round it...very disappointing again.
Pudding we decided to share a apple pie meringue which was lovely & wished we'd ordered one each....
Such a shame...this was supposed to be our romantic honeymoon meal...
There was just no real service, attention to detail not there at all. Not sure whats happened here recently but quite a few bad reviews on here after alot of fantastic ones...change or no management present?
We took it up politely with our waitress who apologised & didn't charge us for the piggy bits & beer. The actual building is nice & our room was lovely & quaint but on our experience would not return.
Seriously expensive to charge just over £200 a night & not include breakfast?
There is also a slight pretentious feeling about the place & some of its guests. .. its almost trying to hard to be trendy now....it really needs to start focusing on its food & attention to detail if it wants to keep its reputation.
The girl on reception with glasses & brown long hair was lovely & very apologetic who I gave our feedback to...all the managers were to busy in a meeting to talk to me. She quite rightly removed our bill for the food.
I did get a quite generic email back from one of the managers afterwards but it might have gone down better if he'd have called me for a chat after all it was supposed to be a very special night.
I was expecting to be blown away...Unfortunately we still came away feeling slightly ripped off & wouldn't want to return which was a real shame...luckily we had a fantastic night at Terrivina the night before. We only wished we'd stayed there for both nights.

3  Thank turnek7
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Excellent surroundings, food and service. Much has already been written by other people, but I did consider it expensive for a provincial restaurant. The table we had was poorly lit and I had problems seeing my food. I had the faggots, which were served in a bowl. It was not easy to eat them, with poor visibility, and using a knife and fork, trying to get into the bowl! One of the access roads from Brockenhurst is subject to flooding, under a bridge. It was OK when we arrived, but not when we left. Turn left and then right when leaving, and avoid the flood if it has been raining heavily.