“It was a bit Piggy”
Review of The Pig

The Pig
Ranked #11 of 58 Restaurants in Brockenhurst
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Uncomplicated and simple British garden food, true to the micro seasons and influenced by the forest and coast, with the emphasis squarely on fresh, clean flavours.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Just been there for Saturday lunch. Very busy - could only get a table at midday on a cold January day. Very nice setting. I did like it but found it a little pretentious - everything was very "piggy". Started with a "Pigs Tail cocktail" which was very good. The person who welcomed us and served the cocktail was somewhat indifferent to us. The lunch was served in the consevatory which had a nice atmosphere and beautiful viw of the grounds. Had the soup and pork chop for my lunch. Soup was v. good but I didn't really like the pork chop. There was nothing wrong with it but it was very ordinary and didn't have much flavour. The "pig fours" were delicious. Overall I enjoyed it and would go back again - I would just choose a different main course.

There are newer reviews for The Pig

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great experience. Local food right throughout the menu, great service, lovely location, will be back as often as possible

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The whole experience from start to finish was sensational. We were received at the door with a friendly welcome and then shown to a seat in one of several cosy lounge areas where we were shown both the cocktail and food menus. After enjoying a couple of cocktails we were taken through into the conservatory dining area which was buzzing with other diners enjoying their evening. We chose food from the 25 mile menu (everything on the menu was sourced within 25 miles of Brockenhurst). My girlfriend opted for the crab to start and was suprised by the generosity of the portion size, I went for the duck egg and black pudding salad which again was generous in terms of size of portion. We then had smoked haddock and pork balls respectively both of which were cooked to perfection. In summary, fantastic setting, suberb food, great serice and attention to detail like nowhere I've experienced before.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

This is by far the best restaurant I have ever experienced! Went there for my 50th - food was sublime, staff attentive, professional and helpful - what more can I say!

Reviewed January 12, 2013

My wife and I ate there last night. When the barman offered us aperitifs I asked whether they had white port. He said he had never heard of white port and offered me a "Fernet Branca" type Italian liqueur as an alternative!?! Our starters where great, excellent dressed Dorset crab for me and goats cheese salad for my wife. We had a great Marlborough Riesling with it (GBP 35), although the English somelier didn`t know which Riesling they had, but eventually recommended an Aussie one for GBP 65....-) I ordered duck egg with black pudding which was rich and well executed and a small risotto with tarrogon and pigs neck slices. I thought I´d give it a try but would not recommend it, as the tarrogon might sit well next to prawns or chicken but not salty bacon. The service was generally very pleasant, but our waitress wanted to bring me both dishes at the same time!!??, while my wife had her main course. The atmosphere is superb, typical english countryhouse style. All in all, if they would train the staff a bit better and give diners a bit more time betwenn courses, it could be a great place.

1  Thank Achim W