“Excellent food and atmosphere - shame about the staff”
Review of The Pig

The Pig
Ranked #13 of 58 Restaurants in Brockenhurst
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Uncomplicated and simple British garden food, true to the micro seasons and influenced by the forest and coast, with the emphasis squarely on fresh, clean flavours.
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and atmosphere - shame about the staff”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Country House shabby chic is exactly what it is. I loved the design of the place and the atmosphere in the dining room. The food was very good and, I thought, reasonably priced for what it was. I started with the cured meats and my wife had the potted pheasant. Both starters were excellent with the exception of the bread that came with the cured meats (more of this later). For the main course my wife had the pigeon (excellent and very tender). I had the pork loin which was cooked to perfection. The wine list is good but expensive. £350 for a Vega Sicilia Rioja (a wine I know very well) is having a laugh. Try the Corbiere at £25. This is an excellent wine much overlooked, even in France.
BUT..the service and knowledge of the staff is dire. I asked what type of chutney came with the cured meats. I was told “salsa”. I complained that the bread that accompanied my first course was stale. The waiter put her finger in the bread and said “yes, it is” and that was the end of that! We then waited 10 minutes to try and get someone to give us a bill. The uniform of jeans and sneakers is ok with me but not when the service matches the slovenliness of the dress.
I will go there again but I shall treat it more like going for good pub grub than to a quality restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank michael a

Lymington, United Kingdom
“Reasonably charming and relaxed but a bit disappointing.”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I went with friends as their birthday treat. A pleasant welcome, a comfortable bar area, “country house shabby chic style” in which to relax and select from the menu whilst enjoying pre diner drinks. Good menu choices for me but for my wife, who’s a little fussy and not a red meat eater, not exceptional. The restaurant is full of atmosphere but perhaps a little cramped, hence the buzz and atmosphere, no getting away from that. It was between Christmas and the New Year so absolutely packed. The service was Ok despite one of the waiting staff, in the bar area, spilling a drink over me and my wife and then panicking to find a cloth never to be seen again. I used some bar napkins to mop up the spilt drink, provided by the barman, but was very disappointed with the attitude of the front of house; also dressed in the “shabby chic style” which I don’t like for a front of house. There just seemed to be a problem in making a proper apology, perhaps because of being busy, which was disappointing. However they eventually agreed to pay for the dry cleaning of my jacket and trousers although I crossed off the service charge from the bill and just tipped our waitress on the side. With the prices charged one would have expected everything to be exceptional rather than just good. The walk from the car-park is somewhat uneven so many prefer to try and park just outside the front door blocking the way round for those who are polite enough to drop off an park in the car park, this needs to be sorted out.

2 Thank Wayn P
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Crackling!!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Fine dining in an unpretentious setting. The service was of the very best standard and the waiting staff all dressed casually which was a lovely touch. So often you feel the need to 'dress up' to experience the best cuisine; not here, the atmosphere was charming and very relaxed. The food was second to none although I would have liked just a touch more on the plate. Lovely bar for pre-dinner drinks. Will definitely return.

1 Thank oldhammer1966
nottingham
“More room needed!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Food was very good, very nice building but ruined by the greed of the restaurant. Cramming far too many small tables in to the restaurant. Tables are too small and far to close together which ruined the experience of a nice setting with good food.

2 Thank robchan100
Southampton
“Very nice.”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife took me to lunch here as a birthday treat. A nice welcome, a very comfortable bar in which to relax and select food and wines while taking an aperitif. Piggy bits very nice but not exceptional. A good menu range and outstanding wine list.
The restaurant is full of atmosphere but maybe a little cramped - however it was shortly before Christmas so absolutely packed. Food was fine, and my glass of Rioja (only a glass- I was driving) was amazingly good. The service was very good despite the number of diners.
However, with the prices charged one would have expected everything to be exceptional rather than very good.
One caveat - the approach road is poorly maintained and the walk from the car-park somewhat uneven, but it may be that this is down to New Forest District Council's restrictions.

1 Thank John_the_bee_man