“Morning Coffee”
Review of The Cloud Hotel

The Cloud Hotel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My friend and I dropped in here after a 2 hour ride on the forest and were a bit muddy. The hotel had only just opened after a break and they could not have been more welcoming. We were settled in the lounge next to a lovely fire and coffee was provided. Will definately be coming back and what a lovely team you have at the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
tillergirl, Owner at The Cloud Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

You were more than welcome to come and enjoy a coffee by the fire and we are quite used to muddy boots as we are in the heart of the New Forest National park where people ride, walk,cycle and enjoy the beautiful area. My team really appreciate you taking the time to give them such positive feed back. I value my team as they are my greatest asset and many of them have worked at The Cloud Hotel for over 10 years so I realise I am very lucky. I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We went there for a special birthday party held in the Cloud's private room. It was arranged at quite short notice and the hotel could not have been more helpful. On the day, there was a welcome message at the entrance, the food was beautifully cooked (and a choice offered even though there were 20 of us) and the service was first class - what was more there was a very helpful gentleman to assist in the parking. The house wine was reasonably priced, as were the pre-luncheon drinks, and very quaffable - not always the case with house wine. We thought the price was very reasonable for what we received. Thoroughly recommend it for a small, private party.

Room Tip: Did not stay but if up to the standard of the other parts of the hotel, probably very good
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
tillergirl, Owner at The Cloud Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

I'm delighted to know how much you enjoyed your birthday lunch at the Cloud Hotel and thank you for your positive review. Like me the staff always appreciate positive feedback and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on another occasion.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

If ever (God forbid) Avril Owton sells the Cloud Hotel, she should immediately write the definitive book on hotel management and staff selection. This is a small, delightfully well run hotel where Mrs Owton's high standards of care are achieved with a cast of friendly, efficient staff. It is difficult to choose a favourite member of staff or indeed a favourite facet of the hotel - all were so good - but the over riding impression is of an hotel where the guest is paramount and everything possible is done to make their stay as pleasant as possible. The menus for breakfast and dinner were excellent and portions were generous too.

The hotel is located on the very edge of the New Forest and many of the rooms have views out over the landscape where ponies and donkeys roam. Inside the hotel are three cosy lounges, a bright conservatory and a large function room which is regularly used by locals for either luncheons, cream teas or five course dinners.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: I am told that rooms 9,10,11 and 12 are particularly roomy.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

I am delighted to know how much you enjoyed your stay at the Cloud Hotel over the Christmas period and thank you for taking the time to give the hotel and myself such a positive and glowing review. My New Years resolution is to respond to my reviews again as both my staff and I appreciate receiving such positive feed back. I have written a book 'Delighting Your Customers' that was published in 2006 and a revised edition in 2008. I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Cloud again

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our bedroom looked out onto the New Forest and we would see the ponies grazing when we looked out in the morning. We had a lovely stay in November 2012. The staff and the owner were very nice, friendly and helpful. A nice little extra was the fresh milk available for teas or coffees in the room. I do so hate those little UHT capsules because they never taste the same as fresh milk do they?
We were on half board and we were very pleased with variety and quality of breakfast and dinners.
We took our bicycles with us to do a bit of cycling.(They have cycle storage which was useful) There are several New Forest off road cycle rides that can be started from the hotel which we did and enjoyed.
All in all we have a very pleasant stay and I can see us visiting again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wdewijones
Reviewed November 9, 2012

A pleasant stay. The hotel does cater for the retired couples but having said that the service from the staff was excellent and it made no difference if it was your first visit as it was for us or your 20th visit as we found out from a couple staying there. The food was excellent, probably some would say traditional but what is wrong with traditional if it is of the quality that was being served up. Our room was a little small but we warned when we booked that it was one of their smaller rooms so we coped. A good hotel all round and worth coming to again.

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a room facing the forest which are the larger rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed at The Cloud for one night as was in Brockenhurst for a conference with work.

By far the best feature here is the the team who work here = fantastic!!

A lovely warm, friendly welcome. My room wasnt ready when i arrived, I wasnt expecting it to be as it was 9am! So i was taken to a quiet lounge and served a complimentary pot of coffee while I waited.

I was escorted to my room and had it explained to me, it was a good size and had everything I needed - they even asked if i wanted fresh milk for tea or coffee. My only suggestion would be to have duvet's and not blankets, but the bed was comfortable, I slept very well.

Breakfast was very good quality and there was plenty of choice. Plated cooked instead of buffet, which I prefer. Again, it was the people who made it such a nice experience. I stay in a lot of big, international branded hotels because of my job and I think you just get used to cold, bland service at breakfast. But at The Cloud it was genuine and enthusiastic - a great way to start the day!

On check out, I was given a little bottle of water and a short bread biscuit to see me on my way. Such a simple thing, but what a difference it makes. Spent the rest of the day bragging to the other 100+ conference delegates who were staying at more expensive hotels with more stars in their quality ratings! They were very jealous and no one could say they had recieved similar service!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel is very good at what it does, but it is definitely aimed at an older clientele (the average age in the hotel took a fair dent when we walked in the door) and it's important to realise this. The above rating is for us, if this hotel suits your needs it could be a five star! Clearly they have a lot of dedicated repeat business but The Cloud is not suited to everyone.

First the good - staff are friendly and helpful, hotel is very clean and well kept, nice garden, lots of living room space in the main section with comfy chairs and a no phones policy (yay!) Good breakfast (although stops at 9.30am so no lie ins!) and the mattress is comfortable but blanket and sheets instead of duvet.

You will most appreciate this hotel if you want to sit in the gardens and classically furnished lounge areas in the main section with dignified older guests, eating a civilised dinner to quiet classical music before retiring early to bed. For those people it looked like a home away from home - Lots of care and attention has been put into the needs of older travelers, little touches like the decor, trouser presses, shower-mats and extra handrails at the top of stairs.

If you're looking for a place to crash out at the end of the day and have a nice lie in in the morning with a decent sized room and a late breakfast, you probably won't get good value for money.

We paid £140 per night for a front facing rather small double with a tiny attached bathroom. Poor noise insulation between rooms but it's unlikely the other guests will make much of a disturbance. Pretty much the only room available in town when we went and while it was worth it to visit Brockenhurst on our one free weekend but for us it was staggeringly expensive for such a small room. Not worth it even to see wild horses out your window in the morning. We've stayed in much better places for half the price I'm afraid :(

That said, many of the negative reviews here sound a bit petty and don't quite ring true with us. I doubt the staff are ever rude and the road outside is definitely not noisy and not an issue if you're coming from London. For us, it just didn't quite suit our requirements (30 yr old couple)

Understand what sort of traveler you are and hopefully this review will help you decide whether The Cloud is for you!

Room Tip: Our front facing room was very small and expensive. If you can get a cheaper more spacious room that...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MisterMooLondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to The Cloud Hotel? Share your experiences!