“Lunch and breakfast visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Buttery
Ranked #27 of 58 Restaurants in Brockenhurst
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A spacious Cafe Tearoom with seating for 60 people on Large round TablesOpen 7 days a week from 9am - 5pm, we proudly produce and cook all our extensive range of breakfasts using local sausages free range eggs, all our homemade cakes bakes and scones, on display in our cake Cabinet, Hot lunches, baguettes sandwiches,toasted paninis Chefs daily Specials Board, Homemade shortcrust pies, homecooked Ham freerange eggs and chips. Hand battered fish and chips,traditional english dishes changing Daily.Homemade pancakes new forest ice cream and sauces, ie butterscotch or chocolate. Dorset apple cake and cream, and of course our wonderful Clotted cream Teas available all day, we are licensed, air conditioned and have a very professional and friendly team of staff who will welcome you.A few free car parking spaces available,family friendly. Walkers and cyclists welcome.
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Lunch and breakfast visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Excellent lunch, fresh food. Breakfast the next day was good, worth the wait. Staff very friendly. And yes we ended up buying a cuddly toy.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

“Used to be Great but not now!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Oh dear. What a terrible disappointment again. We used to frequent the Brock and Bruin and it was one of our favourite tea shops but since it became The Buttery and obviously changed hands it has now sunk to our least favourite. After our recent visit I would not set foot in the place again.
The very expensive cream tea came with a stingey portion of cream that was never going to be enough for two scones. I asked for more cream to finish the scones but was very surprised to be charged for it! A very unpleasant member of staff who I presumed to be the manager was not interested in my feedback. I'm afraid his attitude was what really did it for me. I was so upset I could never recommend the place to anyone.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GRAHAM S, General Manager at The Buttery, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Hello, I am sorry you were upset at being charged for extra clotted cream, we do not charge extra if one person has the 2 scone cream tea but do if 2 people are sharing as they tend to eat more . They are priced per person and not really for 2 people but we do offer if requested, I only remember charging a group of 4 people with two cream teas who shared teas and scones really for one and requested extra jam and cream and I only charged for one cream, about 2 weeks ago,
you did mention to me that you thought it was stingy and I did explain they were for one person ,
We will give extra jam / cream to customers who have a 2 scone cream tea for one and request extra with no charge
I am sorry you were upset. I assumed you enjoyed the scones and tea apart from the extra charge. Our prices are in line with other tearooms in the forest and are not overly expensive, we bake our own scones daily and offer a quality strawberry jam , not the hotel mini pots that so many places offer, we serve many happy customers daily and receive many favourable comments, but obviously cannot please everyone. I will look at this situation and see where we can perhaps address it in a favourable way.
kent
“Lovely place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My partner and I had breakfast here before we went walking in the New Forest. Lovely food, good service and staff. Well worth a visit.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thankyou for recomending the buttery, the walk in the forest would have been ideal after a full english. the staff are always happy to read positive reviews and thank you for yours
Fordingbridge
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A lovely experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I recently went to the Buttery at the Brock and Bruin with my Mum. My Mum visits here regularly and she loves their cream teas. I enjoyed the overall experience and found the food very tasty. My Mum told me of the somewhat grumpy manager here but that he had recently left. Personally I found that the staff were relaxed, friendly and most helpful. It was a real pleasure and I look forward to my return to this little gem in Brockenhurst.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Tim O
I hope you and your mum enjoyed your visit and cream teas and am pleased to hear she is a regular visitor, we have some new members of staff and management and are working hard to improve and maintain customers visits, we look forward to seeing you again very soon
“Decent Coffee and Snack Stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Went in for a mid morning cafe stop with family. Had a mixture of hot and cold food which following our order was quickly delivered. Cafe was quite busy. Food and drinks were very good and reasonable value.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thankyou for your review , I am happy you received fast service and that you found the food and service good and reasonable value