“Mid Week Break”

Rhinefield House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Had a three day mid week break in March at The Rhinefield House where we have stayed quite a few times before. We always book a up graded room as they are newer and modern and well worth the extra cost. We dined in the conservatory restaurant the food was good but would have liked a little more selection also afternoon tea if you did not want the full tea they did not seem to have any nice cake on offer. Breakfast was good. All in all a nice hotel for visiting the New Forest area but food was a bit disappointing. Had a lovely manicure in the spa centre one of the best I have had very nice staff.

Room Tip: The newer rooms which cost a bit more but well worth the extra
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear Shenfield186338
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review of Rhinefield House to Trip Advisor and I was very pleased to read you had enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your kind words about your treatment in our Health Suite to the team. I have also discussed your comments about our food offering with our Head Chef.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

My parents have had a timeshare at Rhinefield House hotel for many years and we usually join them for the end of their week. This year there were too many of us to accomodate us all in the apartment so my husband & I stayed in one of the hotel rooms. The room was large and beautifully decorated (the curtains were gorgeous!) and there was even a television in the bathroom - what luxury! I couldn't fault the room.
However, we ate in the Grill Room on the first night & thought it was very expensive for what we got. For some reason (we hadn't learnt our lesson) we ate in the lounge on Saturday lunchtime. £8.50 for a beef sandwich with a bit of salad & a few crisps. There was just about enough beef to cover the bread in 1 layer....
We'll obviously be back but don't think we'll be eating "in-house" again....

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the new bit.....
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank 1927Pippa
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Pippa
Thank you for taking the time to post your review to Trip Advisor on your latest stay with us here in the Forest. I was really pleased that you had enjoyed the size and appointment of the bedrooms in the Hotel. I am sorry that on this occasion our food offering did not match its usual standards. Please do let me know the next time the family are staying in the apartments so that I can come and say hello.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I was delighted to get a Rhinefield house spa voucher from a friend as a gift. However I must say this is the worst 'spa' I have ever been to. Where to start:

It's tiny, I mean silly tiny. The guests in the spa had no room at all to relax... Or to even sit!
The changing room was filthy, sand, dirt, hair, mould all over the floor. This never was cleaned.
The showers were filthy and one was even blocked full of water.
The steam room was broken and smelt like feet, the 'crystal' steam room was also in need of repair ( see image)
The sauna was filthy the vent was covered in grime.
There was two loungers and four plastic chairs . My friend and I ended up sitting by the noisy reception as nowhere to relax in the tiny spa.
I slipped over in the changing room and also nearly fell over near the pool because floor was so wet.
Even the treatment room was dirty.
Other guests were also complaining at the time to one another and the manager.

I actually felt like I needed a wash after using the spa facilities.

On a positive note my friend and I did have a lovely massage, shame the facilities are not as good as the therapist, it's a shame as the hotel itself looks beautiful and location is fabulous.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Georginatravel

Dear GHurcombe
Firstly I would like to apologies for your far from successful day with us at Rhinefield. Our Health Suite is compact as you have mentioned but the facilities clearly did not live up to your expectations. I have taken on board your comments and will put an action plan in place to deal with your points. I also noted that you had enjoyed your treatments and I have passed that on to the therapists.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed for one night over a Saturday when there was a lot of people in the Lounge Bar having afternoon tea and a large wedding party on too. Due to these two functions we were not able to use the relaxing facilities as it was still a little cold to be sitting Al Fresco.
Our meal in their resturant was very nice and a good price but the room seemed a little over the top in cost taking into account the above.
We did speak to the hotel however who took all points raised on board and could not have been more helpful towards us. I would suggest maybe a Friday or Sunday when a wedding is not on and book an afternoon tea or go in the summer to enjoy the amazing garden/surroundings.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kenravers

Dear Kenravers
Thank you for your recent posting to Trip Advisor and I was sorry to read that your stay had been marred by the Wedding that was held that day. Usually our Weddings do not over take our leisure guests areas and I am sorry that on this occasion this has happened. I was glad to read that you had enjoyed the food during your stay and that the team dealt with your concerns in a professional manor.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

And no, there's no Molton Brown in a jacuzzi bath either!

We stopped for a night at Rhinefield House with our 6 month old baby on our way back from Devon to London to break up the trip.

The location is perfect - right in the heart of the New Forest. The grounds and hotel are nice enough but the main pond was full of debris from the previous nights wedding and it looked like no effort had been made to clean it from the wedding before that.

The tables around the koi pond were littered with cigarettes butts and the occasional piece of broken glass. The gardens lacked any colour and would benefit from a few flowers being planted.

We ate lunch and dinner at The Grill and whilst the waitrons were efficient the food lacked any sort of refinement. The value for money was terrible. The Jumbo Shrimp Pilpil at £12.50 consisted of 3 supermarket bought shrimp with raw garlic and chili. The 12 oz Angus Rib eye Steak at £29.50 was 8 oz at best and very average. Thankfully the "fine dining" restaurant was fully booked but after eating at The Grill we were glad we didn't waste any more money on distinctly average food.

The worst part of the stay was there was a wedding party on in the room next to The Grill Room so the music was very loud for dinner and I'm guessing resources directed to the wedding thus making our meals at The Grill so ordinary.

The hotel is "accessible" in that there is wheelchair lifts but it's pretty painful going through 2 of these to get from the room to the dining room every time.

On the plus side most the staff were friendly (although I did overhear at least 3 occasions of them bickering amongst themselves) and children were welcome in the restaurants and pools.

The spa treatments were enjoyable and good value for money.

The room was large enough and the bed was comfortable. There was what looked to be boot marks on the ceiling, popcorn under the chair and the grouting could have been redone in the bathroom (as it had the start of mould forming) but other than that was clean enough.

We told ourselves on the way there if it was nice enough we would stay an extra night - needless to say we didn't.

Unfortunately can't recommend and definitely won't be going back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank LondonRhino

Dear LondonRhino
Thank you for taking the time to post your review to Trip Advisor and my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us here at Rhinefield and that unlike the previous posting we are not your Narnia. I found your review to be very helpful and detailed and as a team we are always striving to improve our offering and service and have taken your comments in the constructive manner they were given and will hopefully improve having reviewed them.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

My partner and I booked a last minute afternoon tea spa package and couldn't have had a better time. We had the spa facilities and gym pretty much to ourselves all day with maximum of 2 others at anytime. The treatments were high quality and the staff were extremely friendly. We were shown to the area for afternoon tea where we overlooked the most beautiful view! The staff yet again were incredibly polite, friendly and delivered high standards of customer service. The food and tea was very good and finished off a fantastic day. I would recommend this experience to anyone! If you get a chance, have a walk around the grounds too...absolutely beautiful setting!

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear SKerry
Thank you for your glowing review posted to Trip Advisor and I was so pleased to read you had enjoyed one of our relaxation days in our Health Suite and then taken advantage of the wonderful outlook over our pond whilst having afternoon tea. I am always really pleased when the team get special mentions so thank you for your kind words about the quality of the treatments you received.

Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Step through the door into another world.. My son and I enjoyed a wonderful short break at Rhinefield House a couple of days ago. The place is magical, the formal gardens are exquisite and Handpicked Hotels have evidently done their utmost to both restore and update the hotel itself- our bedroom was glorious and the dining/ reception rooms were a treat; the staff fell over backwards to help us and we will certainly be back. It is not, to put it bluntly, a family hotel (tiny but luxurious indoor pool, no kids' club etc etc) and is all the better for it. There were other children there- all, it should be said, well behaved and within arms length of their parents. They also knocked up children's meals, dairy- free alternatives etc etc with no problem whatsoever. I was impressed (having forewarned them of son's dairy issues) to arrive to a large
jug of soya milk in the mini- bar fridge. I had a wonderful massage/ salt scrub (the best since a million years ago in Thailand) and we left sorry to go but looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Verytired Mummy
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review of Rhinefield House on Trip Advisor. I was so pleased to read all of your comments and especially the ones about the team. We are all looking forward to welcoming you and your Son back to Rhinefield in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Burley
Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Rhinefield House Hotel? Share your experiences!