“wonderful location, charming staff”

Rhinefield House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reading, United Kingdom
“wonderful location, charming staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

A very enjoyable stay. Wonderful location, lovely house and grounds (helped by the first sunny weekend for months), excellent food, and above all unfailingly charming, friendly and helpful staff.

Particular highlights were the afternoon tea which was superb and the very comfy beds. We stayed in an exec room in the extension which lacked the character of the main house but was spacious, spotless and very comfortable. Dinner on both nights (Hampshire menu in Armada restaurant) was very good.

I was intrigued as to how breakfast would be as a number of reviewers had marked them down relative to rest of their stay. Our breakfast on Saturday was as good as I've had anywhere, terrific selection, excellently cooked. Very different on Sunday, perhaps because of the large wedding the previous afternoon. Buffet was not restocked despite prompting from a succession of guests, wrong drinks brought, cooked breakfast took 30+ mins to arrive (45 mins apparently for table next to us) and was a mixture of undercooked eggs, dry bacon, burnt muffins etc. Staff were doing their best and charming as ever but completely understaffed which is not acceptable at these prices.

We had such a lovely time otherwise, and were in no hurry, so happy to let it go and focus on what was otherwise a wonderful weekend. We'd definitely come again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Kim
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay. I was very pleased to read you had enjoyed a great night’s sleep in one of our very comfortable executive beds. I will make sure the team hear about your wonderful praise about them and the quality of the food. My apologies if Breakfast took longer that it should have and I hope that this did not mar your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

We were a party of nine - three generations to celebrate grandad's birthday. Firstly the building and grounds are beautiful set in a lovely part of the New Forest. The hotel was very busy in mid-Feb - half-term week, but overall the service was very pleasant. We booked the Armada for dinner, and perhaps as we were nine, celebrating a birthday, we were given the Alhambra private dining room - delightful room inspired by it's namesake. The dinner took a long time but we were in no hurry - the food was good although the portions quite nouvelle-sized. Breakfast again in the Alhambra was bit chaotic - took 90 minutes - about 70 mins more than needed - partly as a result of a full hotel, but a minor quibble. Overall a very nice luxury experience without but retaining a sense of informality. Would definitely return, preferably in the summer to make use of the gardens and countryside.

Room Tip: We chose an executive room in the new annexe - bigger rooms which can fit two kids if required. Requ...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear PabloBrussels
Thank you so much for choosing to celebrate your Granddads Birthday with us here at Rhinefield and I was really pleased you got to experience the stunning Alhambra private dinning room. One of the many exciting features of the House, a room that was built as a Birthday present, so very fitting that many chose to celebrate Birthdays in there.
Wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

We'd stopped doing English Country House weekends many years ago, after a run of disappointing and expensive experiences. Our daughter, son-in-law and grand-daughter spent a weekend in January, at Rhinefield House and recommended that we try it. We were not disappointed this time! We booked an overnight stay with evening meal, breakfast, a bottle of house champagne in the room and a bottle of house wine, at a reasonable, pre-paid rate. The house is impressive and well-situated in the New Forest. We arrived in late afternoon and the check-in was efficient and friendly. Friendly staff are a hallmark of this hotel.Our room was pleasant and had a view straight into the forest, via the huge window.
After a stroll in the formal garden, which would be better in the Summer of course, we had a swim in the small inside pool. We took advantage of the child-free period, which starts at 1800hrs. We've had children and grand children and love them to bits. Other peoples' offspring have no interest for us now. We ate in the Armada restaurant. A really good table d'hote menu which we enjoyed with our house wine, a very good Sauvignon Blanc.. The waiting staff were efficient and informative. After a comfortable and quiet night we enjoyed one of the best 'full English' breakfasts we've had in years. Check-out was straightforward and efficient. We didn't use the Spa, other than the pool. This is an hotel which we'll definitely visit again. The Forest surrounds the place and the coast is close to hand. A good advertisement for the English Tourism Industry! Well done!

Room Tip: We used 'Wagtail'. Great if you want a great and close view of the New Forest wildlife.
Dera PeeBeeWiltshire
I’m not sure where to start so perhaps a very big thank you for your glowing review. I am so glad that we have enticed you back into the Country House getaway and have introduced you to Hand Picked Hotels. I will make sure the team are aware of your review and pass your praise onto them. We are very lucky to be in the beautiful New Forest and it is so worth visiting at different stages of the year. Today the Sun is shining and the magnolias at the front of the house are full of bud and waiting to explode into colour. We very much look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Rhinefield.
Frimley Green, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

The grounds of this hotel were lovely even in mid-winter. We stayed for our wedding anniversary and were not disappointed with the setting. The arrangement of rooms inside is rather odd and guest rooms are not in the main house. Quality of accommodation was fine. It was a very busy weekend and had to wait until 8.45pm for a dinner slot. I thought the Taste of Hampshire menu would be good old fashioned well cooked food with reasonable portions. In reality it was 'chefie' type food with very merge portions. Rather disappointing as I usually try to avoid booking these type of hotels. Breakfast was fine but a long wait due to one cook and lots of guests!

Dear PompyRog
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review and post it to Trip Advisor. I was sad to read that you had not enjoyed your stay with us here at Rhinefield and that the food served in our fine dinning restaurant was not to your taste. if you should return to us then perhaps you could try our Grill Room restaurant which has more robust style of food. Please do call me if you are thinking of returning as I would like to make any arrangements for you personally.
Tournon-d'Agenais, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Most people staying at Rhinefield are in hotel rooms, but what if I were to tell you that the accommodation is even better in the apartments on the eastern side of the building? We stayed in a one bedroomed apartment over Valentine's week - complete with its own, private and authentic looking, 'Romeo and Juliet' balcony! (along with the less romantic, but highly practical, fully equipped kitchen...) Being retired we had a bit more time to spend than just a night, and found that great deals can be had by investigating the apartment opportunities at less than £100 a night. We had so much more space and character than just a hotel room. AND we could eat in and curl up on the sofa in front of the fire (even if it was just an electric glow...). This was such a wonderfully relaxing place to be.

Even in the wettest February for donkeys years, we were able to enjoy long walks in the New Forest, followed by warm soaks and steams in the spa. Others say the pool is small - but we often found ourselves the only people there! It was like having our own private club.

Beautiful grounds, splendid views, friendly and thoughtful staff - this was an excellent place to stay - I bet it won't stay a secret for long.

Room Tip: The apartments on the eastern side of the building are brilliant!
1 Thank LaTuque51
Dear LaTuque51
Thank you for sharing the secret of our Apartments at Rhinefield House and as you say they are beautifully decorated and furnished and you still get the full use of all of the Hotels facilities. I am really glad that you had a relaxing Valentines Weekend and I just hope you didn’t have to do too much cooking and washing up!!
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Arrival

I recently visited the hotel for a weekend break to celebrate my girlfriends birthday. Upon arrival we was greeted with a friendly and informative welcoming which immediately made us feel relaxed and open to asking questions.

The Staff

The staff made our stay 10 times better due to there professionalism and kindness, most of the staff where friendly and usually sparked a conversation with you, which was a nice touch. The staff in the restaurant and reception was especially good.

Facilities

The facilities consisted of a spa, gym, pool, sauna and steam room. The facilities where good and we enjoyed both the pool and the sauna, however the steam room was closed, which was a bit disappointing, but understandable. The cleanliness of the changing rooms however was somewhat bad, the floors where very filthy and consisted of a combination of dirt and wee, however i blame this on disrespectful dirty guests rather than the hotel, the rest of the hotel though was very clean. The hotel also had lovely grounds to explore which made for a nice evening stroll.

Room

The room was the only part of my stay which i was disappointed in. Although i know i only paid for a standard hotel room, i was expecting something a bit more than a bog standard room with little style and quirkiness. It almost felt like i was dumped into a premier inn. The room was also a little dirty in places but the bed was very very comfortable. I normally find sleeping in hotels difficult however due to the singing birds and the sound of trickling water i had one of the best night sleeps i have ever had. The room had all the usual standardised essentials, however the hairdryer did not work at times. The room also had a huge TV which was a plus.

WOW! the food was absolutely incredible, i could not fault anything, i would even go as far as saying, it was the best food i have had in england, especially the dessert (can i grab the recipe?). We also had afternoon tea which was £20 each which was well worth it, i would recommend it to anyone. Breakfast was also top of the range with multiple selections and cooked to perfection. The hotel also had a number of different dinner options for guests in 3 different restaurants. This was nice as you was able to choose where you wanted to eat. Although we only eat in the fine dining restaurant i saw some food getting served in the lounge and it looked incredible.

Value for money

This hotel is great value for money and i would go back for sure if they upgraded the rooms. The food alone would draw me back.

General comments

This hotel is awesome and incredibly good value for money. There is lots to do round the area like bike rides, walks, wildlife parks, or visiting the local areas; i would recommend beaulie(unsure on spelling). I did feel that there was some mismatching of styles though around the hotel, each room did not meet a certain household style, but each individual room on there own was nice.

Overall we had a great time and would like to than the staff for a great birthday weekend.

Room Tip: get a suite if you want a nice room
Dear H0telins
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us here at Rhinefield. I was really pleased to read your comments about the Service and the especially about the food. I have passed them onto Chef and his team. I have noted your comments about the rooms and will discuss these with the team as well. I think your have posted the best balanced review this year so please do let me know if you are returning as I would like to over see your booking personally.
Surrey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

I visited Rhinefield with a friend for a Spa Day. It was a leaving gift from ex colleagues via the Handpicked Hotels voucher scheme. The booking was simple but the staff on the booking line (not run by the hotel itself) omitted to mention the required arrival time. The spa ladies were excellent though when we were 'late' and rescheduled our treatments and food.

The food first - we had 'elevenses' which was fairly substantial and very pleasant. Not really outstanding but nice. It was served in the lounge/bar area and we had been reserved a table with a lovely view of the gardens and waters.

The treatments - I had a facial, my friend a massage. Both were great!

The spa - quite small but should give you everything you need. There's a small pool which is 1.2m all around so no deep bits for nervous swimmers. Also a jacuzzi pool which was toasty warm. To complement these there's also a sauna and a steam room. We tried the sauna but it was roasting and bailed out after less than 5 mins! (We're wimps). Sadly the steam room (which is my favourite) was not working... It would have been nice to know this in advance when we arrived...

The staff - all, without exception, were excellent. The bar staff managed the right level of attention, but were not intrusive. The Spa ladies where calm and professional.

The hotel itself is really beautiful, I would love to spend a short break here. It's right inside the New Forest so I imagine there's plenty of nature right on your doorstep just waiting for you to stumble across it.

I obviously can't comment in the rooms but the whole place had a great atmosphere.

Will I return - yes, I'd love to. Maybe next time with my husband for a romantic break...

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear ppply
Thank you for your recent posting to Trip Advisor. I was really pleased that you enjoyed your day relaxing in our Health Suite and enjoying the Hotel and its surroundings. Thank you for your kind words about our therapists and the team in the Lounge bar. We all look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield hopefully on that short break with your husband.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 3 in Beaulieu

Been to Rhinefield House Hotel? Share your experiences!