“Peaceful and Relaxing”

Rhinefield House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Good one-night stay in advance of a party booking planned for next year. This is a very comfortable hotel, extremely quiet and peaceful with well trained, friendly staff. Our room was a good size with a big, comfortable bed and quality furniture. The evening meal was superbly cooked and well presented. No complaints except, perhaps astronomical prices for wine and spirits which, at a guess, suggests a 400% mark-up on costs. I don't stay in many UK hotels - perhaps I have been spoilt by experiences overseas.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Dear GerryW1952
Thank you for taking the time to post your review to Trip Advisor. We are all really pleased that you enjoyed the accommodation and food here at Rhienfield. I will also pass on you kind comments about the team.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,798)

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We had ourselves a fantastic night's stay, with a spa treatment, to help us recover from a very hectic weekend of celebrating my husbands 50th!! The hotel staff were wonderful (friendly,helpful and knowledgeable about the house and local area), the food exceptional, the room was peaceful with no noise from other guests (like doors slamming early morning as you find in some hotels) overlooking some forest area and bunny rabbits! We were fortunate enough to be upgraded and stayed in the 'gorse' suite, which was modern in a contemporary way and roomy... the most comfiest hotel bed we have ever slept in with pillows to die for! Lovely fluffy towels in bathroom with a tv above the bath what more could you want?! The air con wasn't very powerful but as it wasn't the middle of summer we were comfortable enough. My only disappointment from a disabled persons point of view is that there are a lot of stairs to deal with (there are some stair lifts if you're wheelchair bound) and I found the spa was a particular problem; the pool ladder wasn't accessible without assistance from my hubby and the step into the Jacuzzi a worry but worth the risk once you were in! They do have a disabled changing room down in the spa but don't understand the point of that when you cant actually get into the pool?! The sauna and steam room where lovely. There is also a lot of gravel to negotiate from the carparks and when walking around the grounds so it would be quite bumpy in a wheelchair! Bar prices are what you would expect from a decent hotel in the forest but not outrageous. Our lunch in the lounge was delicious, lovely ham and fresh bread. Overall we would recommend this place if you're looking for some real peace and quiet and old fashioned romance (without the kids!).

Room Tip: go for an executive suite rather than the classic bedrooms, as it seems some of the classic bedrooms...

Dear BernadineA
Thank you for taking the time to write your glowing review of us here at Rhinefield. I hope you have both recovered now and a belated Happy Birthday from us all here to your husband. I will pass on you comments about the quality of the food to the Chef and I will most certainly be thanking the team as well for making your stay so enjoyable. I have noted your other comments and will have a look into those.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I booked a spa day for my mums 60th birthday we didn't stay in the hotel but wish we had, we stayed somewhere else which was a great disappointment. If driving through the heart of the new forest wasn't impressive enough we come to the hotel we had our mouths open it looks amazing! I couldn't stop taking pictures. The staff were very professional and directed us to the spa. We were supplied with slipper, robes etc. pool a little small but big enough for what it's ment for just swimming, was all very clean everywhere. After our treatments which were also lovely we dicided to stay for lunch I could not fault it one little bit food was amazing I had the duck which was cooked perfectly, it was quite expensive but didn't mind I would have actually paid more for such a nice meal. Our waiter was very helpful I'm sure he was busy but had time to stop for a chat and he even showed us around the hotel, I should have taken his name as he went out of his way to show us everything about the hotel he even printed off some history for us! so thanks to rhinefield my mum had a lovely day and we are going to book over night after Christmas. For people thinking of booking it has the wow factor And we can't wait to go back and stay. The food does fall into the expensive bracket but what I had was worth the money, after all you get what you pay for. I think some reviews are far too picky.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear LaceyC
Firstly happy 60th Birthday to your Mum and secondly thank you for choosing to spend the day here with us at Rhinefield. The team in the Health Suite will be delighted to know what a wonderful day you had with us and I will make sure I let Nimrod know how good your lunch was(he was the gentleman that showed you around). We look forward to seeing you in the New Year.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night break at Rhinefield House which was very restful and peaceful. The grounds of the hotel are impressive, mostly woodland on the approach, and very nicely manicured gardens nearer to the house. The building itself is old and beautiful with many rooms with impressive features such as stunning fireplaces.

We stayed in an Executive room which had a nice view into the forest, which was lovely to watch deers walking past in the early morning. Very relaxing and calm. The room itself was nice enough - a big comfy bed, nice bathroom with TV at the end of the bath - although the sound kept cutting out which would require a reboot each time. Slightly annoying.

The food was mostly average. The cooked breakfast on the first morning of full english was almost cold and I had the feeling that all of the ingredients had been pre-cooked then kept semi warm and served up 20 minutes later for the convienience of the kitchen staff. My hashbrown was vertially stone cold and it was obvious too that the poached eggs were precooked and only dipped in warm water before serving.

Dinner the first night in the Grill restaurant was overpriced. My steak cost £28 which is similar to a high end steak restaurant in London. But the quality was a lot poorer, it was chewy and overcooked, the only redeeming feature being the accompanying bearnaise sauce, and chips which despite the fact i was told were made on the premises, they had a very distinct shop bought quality, but were nice enough. My starter of smoked salmon was actually a mousse presumably to make it go further - this was a little disappointing.

The dinner the following night in the fine dining restaurant was delicious. Portions are on the small side for those with bigger appetites but they love to fill you up with bread so my advice is take it or you'll go to bed still hungry.

The deal i booked with the Hand Picked Hotels website tricked me into thinking that dinner the first night is included. The fact is, you will get an allowance of £37 per person, which only just covered a main course in the Grill restaurant, not the 3 course inclusive meal i was expecting. Also the website indicates that internet access is available in the Executive rooms. This is NOT the case - there is a cable available for wired broadband but don't expect to take an iphone or ipad and use this in the room. The wireless internet in the lounge allows your device to connect, but not actually access the internet which was irritating.

There was a wedding both nights we were there, and clearly one for the day we left so it feels a bit like a revolving door for couples and their boisterous guests, and the noise of their soppy music and racaous laughing from the no doubt risque best man speeches in the grand hall spill over into the tranquility of the fine dining restaurant next door, despite the restaurants choice of cheesy 80's ballads that they insist in playing to mask the noise.

Overall, we had a great stay. The staff are friendly and genuine and the rooms nice enough. I have stayed at the nearby Pig at Brockenhurst before and my view is that the rooms and food are better at the Pig, but the settings and tranquility and friendliness of staff are better at Rhinefield but the constant stream of wedding paraphenalia would become tiresome if my stay had been any longer.

Room Tip: Peeking in the standard rooms while they were being cleaned, i have no idea what more we got in an E...

Dear Leggs77
Thank you for your recent posting to Trip Advisor and the constructive comment it had. It’s always refreshing to read such a balanced review. Lots of positives for us and some things to work on. Most pleasing for us, your comments on the team. Thank you.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Had a lovely one night stay here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The room was very nice, quite modern which disappointed us slightly as we expected a bit more character, however it was a nice room. The evening meal was fantastic, as was the breakfast, delicious. The staff were all very pleasant amd helpful. The grounds of the hotel were lovely and we enjoyed a nice stroll. The swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi were all spotlessly clean and we had them all to ourself too which was great. All round, a very nice mini break.

Dear JodiePodie
Congratulations on your recent Wedding Anniversary and thank you for choosing to spend it here with us in the Forest. The team are thrilled with your comments with regard to service and the food and we are very lucky to be set right in the heart of the New Forest for all of guests to enjoy.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We recently got married at Rhinefield House in Brockenhurst. The hotel itself is beautiful and set in spectacular surroundings that make this the perfect venue for what is the most important day in any girls life! The service and quality that we all received on our wedding day was faultless. Absolutely fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the team and they worked brilliantly together to bring the whole day together for us. It went like clock work. All the recommended suppliers were excellent and individually they went the extra mile to give us the most amazing day. The venue beautifully dressed thanks to Exclusively Weddings flowers, photographer Richard Lines amazing work got everyone involved. Inspirations Cakes, perfect! Hair and Make up what can I say. They were all simply amazing. Anyone thinking of Rhinefield House for their wedding venue, do not hesitate! All our dreams came true and more because they made it just perfect for us on the day. I cannot thank them all enough.

Room Tip: The Walker Suite of course for your wedding night. Fantastic and champagne to welcome you after yo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear MariC
Congratulations on your recent Wedding with us here at Rhinefield. I am so pleased it went really well and met your expectations. Hopefully you can send us some photos when they are ready for us all to have a look at.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#3 of 7 in Lymington
Beaulieu Hotel
Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Rhinefield House Hotel? Share your experiences!