WINNER WONDERLAND

Rhinefield House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
“Ignore negative reviews!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

After reading many negative reviews my husband and I were very apprehensive about our one night stay. We had nothing to worry about though. Check in was quick and simple, room was clean, tidy and warm, staff were attentive and polite, food was very good and our overall experience was lovely. We are very well travelled and in our opinion Rhinefield is as good as any other hotel we've stayed in. (we usually stay in 4* or 5*) We spent most of our time in the lounge area due to the fact we were so relaxed and felt right at home especially as we sat in front of the fire sipping on our favourite tipples. In the evening we chose to dine at the grill restaurant which is located in what can only be described as a large conservatory (that we thought would be cold) but don't be disheartened by this as the food was excellent and it wasn't cold like people have suggested in previous reviews. We read about the limitations on wifi service and yes it's true, you don't get a signal anywhere in the hotel other than the lounge and even then it's limited but so what?... what do you expect when you're in the middle of a forest in an old manor house?! We were overjoyed to escape the rat race for a night and enjoy the wonderful tranquil setting of this hotel. We took a stroll around the grounds and My one and only criticism is that I wish it had been summer when we stayed because I would have loved to have seen the gardens in full bloom and to have possibly killed a few hours around the outdoor pool! To all staff at Rhinefield, thank you for a lovely relaxing stay and we very much look forward to enjoying it all over again in the very near future!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Kaybee88
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Kaybee88
Thank you for your recent posting to Trip Advisor. I was so pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us here at Rhinefield and had felt so relaxed in the Lounge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Ringwood, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

After a wedding service where the food was very good we then experienced the room quality and service - which was atrocious. Unable to sleep due to a noisy air conditioner - at 3am we finally tried to call reception (no response). Then on deciding that we might as well go home as it was impossible to get to sleep we went to settle our bill. We eventually found the overnight staff who were Eastern European. Their lack of language skills and condescending attitude was astonishing. They were extremely rude - not exactly what you need at 3am. Even dealing with the management on the following day proved very unsatisfactory. We missed the breakfast with friends and family and I have no desire to repeat the experience at Rhinefield House.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Sean B
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Sean B
Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. I was very sorry to learn that our air-conditioning unit kept you awake. As we have already spoken about this matter it is now fixed and I have already discussed your concerns with the team here at Rhinefield. I was glad that you had enjoyed the food that was served at the wedding you attended.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

A special birthday lunch for two was a very disappointing experience. Poor reception service; no chance to relax in lounge area to view menu and have a drink; taken straight to Grill room - no atmosphere; funereal music; wrong menu presented...we overheard chef having words with waiter. My reply to my letter of complaint was explained as being 'a blip in service'! More than one blip in my opinion!

Room Tip: Not recommended for a special lunchtime meal.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jaguars30
Dear Guest
Thank you for your Trip Advisor posting. I was sorry to read that you had not enjoyed our informal Grill Room on your recent visit. I will discuss your comments with the team to see if there is anything we can improve on.
winchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed overnight on a 'package' including dinner and breakfast. Nice location, although may be a little remote for some. Accommodation was in the new 'executive' wing, rooms very well equipped, especially liked the wet TV in the bathroom. Ate in the a la carte restaurant and food was of excellent quality, although a bit disappointed with the menu which was quite a limited selection. Would probable eat in the grill if returned, for this reason. Nice wine list and pretty reasonable for a hotel of this type. Only things that made me rate this down one notch are: (1) no wifi in the rooms, as you can imagine phone reception is limited so no 3G (2) some of the public areas in the lounge are a bit dated (3) the piped music in the lounge and at dinner was a bit bizarre. Overall still very good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive posting on Trip Advisor. I was really pleased you enjoyed your stay. We are always trying to find ways to improve Wi-Fi in the Forest and we are definitely taking a look at the music.
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

First impression are very good the house looks splendid at a glance, nice surroundings,good location & courteous reception staff.not the same for the lounge bar staff,too many dirty tables around, we had to ask our to be wiped quickly before our food arrived, it was not busy,chef could have picked out the floppy & old salad leaves if cared enough and the sandwich would have been ok ( ok at £8.50. ??).
Although the public rooms may have looked grand it all seamed very tired & uncared for,like the gardens dead plant that should have been replaced years ago perhaps.
The room was in good shape, we were upgraded to an executive room because our reservation could not be found at checking time so the staff quickly put that right, thank God or really it wouldn't been worth the money paid.
Breakfast was good with efficient staff & good food.
Could I recommend it to my friends???

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Vinumest
Dear Guest
Thank you for your balanced review that you posted on Trip Advisor. We will be sure to look into the bits that we did not get right and I will certainly pass on the praise to the team for all the bits we did get right.
New forest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel is located in wonderland forest setting, in a stone manor house. The bedrooms are very pleasant, although mine had no real view.The dinning hall was also very good, and the service was excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I shall be sure to pass on your praise to the teams in the kitchen and the restaurant.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

When I first drove up our first impression was Superb!! And then it fell apart...Amidst one of the most splendid settings imaginable lies a gem that has been left to fend for itself. On the outside all was well, especially for the time of year...but inside I found the service, the general maintenace of the building and the spa very depressing and not worth a fraction of the money. First off no concierge to help with bags...secondly, if you dont have a main hotel room and are in the 'wings'...then you have to travel thru a labrynth of twists and turns to reach your room. Room was clean but Grubby...everything tired and worn out or awkward to operate. Staff were un-attentive...spent my time in the lounge breaking my neck trying to get a waiters attention...not good and not relaxing. A great wedding venue you might think but if you are not a wedding guest it would seem pre-booking the fine-dining restaurant must be done weeks in advance of your stay as I was turned away...yes all dressed up with nowhere to go but the well overpriced Grill room (sorry cold conservatory). I have one of those at home!
But the spa is where they really let themselves down. Poorly informed staff, impossible to get a massage or facial therapy without prior booking, the spa was awfull, the pool COLD, the Jacuzzi COLD, No Sauna, and get this I was told I needed a £1 coin for the locker (no, not a token) so had to travel all the way back to the other side of the hotel to retrieve £2!...moronic in my book. The showers were, to my standards, discusting. a truly awful experience. So, to the Breakfast. It was superb, fine cutlery, napkins and china...in a beautiful grand dining hall....look closer? this is one of the Grubbiest places ive ever eaten. I dared not drop a fork! Im sorry to have to say the Graded listing of the property probably prohibits a lot of remedial work but the lack of investment here for its star rating beggars belief. What could be is not folks...perhaps in summer the House will have a mellow glow but in the winter Nothing is what it seems. My advice....just say no thanks until someone in its managaement decides to invest and heavily. And how likely is that...?

Room Tip: You must VIEW before you book I'm afraid ...I didnt have the choice to change as Hotel was fully...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Brad C
Dear Brad C
Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor and your detailed critique of Rhinefield. Please be assured that we have taken on board all of your comments and will use them to ever improve our guest journey and levels of service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Balmer Lawn
#1 of 3 in Beaulieu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,051 reviews
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort

Been to Rhinefield House Hotel? Share your experiences!