Rhinefield House Hotel
$141
$135
Travelocity
$215
Cottage Lodge Hotel(Brockenhurst)(Great Value!)
$66
Forest Park Hotel(Brockenhurst)
Passford House(Lymington)
  • Breakfast included
1,871 results
All reviewsthe grillarmada restaurantexecutive roomafternoon teaalhambra roomwalker suitehandpicked hotelshand picked hotelstimeshare apartmentsgrand hallheron suitenew forestlounge barornamental drivehealth clubclassic roomstunning grounds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The setting of Rhinefield House is stunning - it is surrounded by the New Forest, so you're in woodland within a few hundred yards of leaving the hotel. And the hotel itself looks fabulous - like something out of a gothic mystery.

Our room was large, with a wonderful Art Deco-style bathroom. There were some very nice touches, such as the jug of fresh milk on the tea tray and the armchairs beneath the window. The TV set (which we didn't use) was huge. Although the hotel says you can use wifi in your room, you can't if you're trying to connect with a Mac. One of the staff came up to the room to try to help, and he did his best but couldn't make it work. He said the hotel will soon be upgrading their Internet access for the rooms. I must admit I was a bit surprised that the wifi in the hotel rooms wasn't compatible with Macs, as this is clearly a hotel that caters for business people and surely they can't all use solely PCs. Anyway, we took the MacBook downstairs and were able to use it with no problems.

We stayed on a Sunday night, which meant we were eligible for a special Sunday deal that gave us a cream tea, dinner and breakfast. This sounded great. The cream tea was perfectly OK although the scones were a bit doughy. But it was the dinner that was the big disappointment. The Armada restaurant was fully booked so we ate in the Grill Room. And here we hit the snag of non-meat eaters trying to find something veggie in a menu that consists almost exclusively of meat and over-elaborate fish dishes. We eventually settled on macaroni with a blue cheese sauce, served with chestnut mushrooms and asparagus. It turned out that the mushrooms and asparagus were a modest garnish on top of the macaroni. And looking round at the other diners' plates, it seemed that vegetables rarely make an appearance in the Grill Room unless they are forming the frilly green bits around a steak. This was also rather disappointing. It would have been nice to order a green salad, or possibly even a plate of broccoli, to go with the macaroni.

Breakfast was also a bit of a let-down, unfortunately. The setting was fantastic, being in a manorial dining room, so it promised great things. There were several waiters and waitresses, but they often had to be asked two or three times to bring us something - such as more butter or another jug of milk - before it finally arrived. I had the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, which came mixed up together in what I found a rather unappetising way. Personally, I would rather have them served separately on the plate, but maybe that's just me.

I can see that this is the sort of hotel that is perfect for some guests, and clearly many of the other reviewers adore it, but it didn't really work for me because of what I found to be the disappointing food. I've given the hotel four stars because of the quality of the accommodation and the glorious setting. And also because the majority of the staff were very attentive and helpful, although a couple of the waiters did seem to be half-asleep.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jonathan_Owen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor after your stay at Rhinefield House Hotel.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be comfortable. As stated in a few reviews we are reviewing the provision of WIFI throughout our bedrooms as currently we have cabled fast broadband.

I have passed on your comments with regards to food, highlighting your vegetarian impression to my head chef Norman. This dish has been subsequently removed from our menu.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and one that I am keen to maintain our usual high standards. Both William my deputy and I will be taking breakfast unannounced to ensure such feedback has been reacted too.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield House in the near future when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had a lovely rexlaxing spa day with afternoon tea. Faultless! All the staff were friendly, facilities were fantastic and food lovely... thank you!

Only 1 thing, maybe better signage to the spa so its eaiser to find!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I have already passed your kind words to Phil our new Health Club manager so he can praise his team. It is always a pleasure to read when guest have an enjoyable relaxing spa day in the forest.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Great service, relaxed atmosphere, facilities are good... Cannot fault at all!
The restaurant ambiance was very tranquil and the setting is beautiful. The food was also good and well served.
The gardens are a delight to wander around and feeding the fish in the pond is fun ;)

We stayed in an apartment which was nicely decorated and spacious with everything we could need to make our stay pleasurable! Would recommend this to everyone!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Jonathan_Owen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay at Rhinefield House Hotel.

I will certainly pass on your kind words to all the team about your great stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the New Forest and Rhinefield House in the near future.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Having stayed at the Rhinefield House Hotel 13 years ago and had a truely pleasurable stay we had very high expectations for our recent stay. We were not disappointed! All staff were wonderfully attentive and made sure we had everything we needed to enjoy our stay. The steaks my wife and I had for our evening meal were the best we have ever had!! We would recommend this hotel to anyone considering it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jonathan_Owen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

I was so pleased to note your experience reflected that of 13 years ago and that the team looked after you ensuring you had everything you needed. Our Dexter steaks are truly amazing, the local heard actually graze on the forest.

Thank you for your recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield House in the near future.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband took me away for my 40th birthday to rhinefield house in July, we stayed for 2 nights.
I could not fault this hotel in anyway, the food was outstanding and the staff could not do enough for you, if there was something you wanted then they would get it or do it.The room and views were stunning. I am looking forward to our next stay there.

Thankyou Rhinefield.

Room Tip: We stayed in Goldcrest, stunning room, beautifull veiw of the forest.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

It is always a pleasure to read a review when guests have thoroughly enjoyed their stay. I was pleased to note you found the food to be Outstanding and that the team could not do enough for you during your 2 nights away.

On behalf of everyone at Rhinefield House I look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield House when I can assure you of our very best attention.