“Anniversary stay”

Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our wedding anniversary. We liked the entrance and hallway for the hotel, but found the photos certainly made the place look better than it was. The hallways lacked any personality. The staff at the hotel were lovely. We were upgraded but for the price we paid would have been surprised not to have received the room we did. The room was nice, although the bathroom functioned poorly, with the shower only being suitable for those under 5"6.
We specifically booked this hotel as it had access to a pool however, this was overcrowded and did not have a decent amount of chairs (although you couldn't fit anymore) around the pool. It felt uncomfortably full and not what I would state as relaxing. We dined at the Brasserie in the evening, where the staff were very attentive (maybe a little too attentive with someone coming to you every 5 mins).
This hotel is 'nice', we have stayed at a lot better places for less and certainly wouldn't say we have come away feeling refreshed which was our intention. We will not be visiting again nor would we recommend.

2  Thank Travelbugs2210
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

I am saddened to learn that we have failed to exceed expectations for you and your husband, however thank you for taking the time to leave us your constructive feedback. Thomas & the Team.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,596)

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I wanted a relaxing spa weekend away and that is exactly what we got from Careys Manor.

The spa facilities are excellent and incredibly relaxing. There are not too many other people in the spa at the same time so you do get a real feeling of relaxation. I would recommend the showers, with sound effects and lighting, and the sauna.

The food was good too, with a particularly good menu in the Zen garden. The waiting staff in the main restaurant were very attentive and a joy to be served by.

If you are looking for a lovely spa weekend away in a beautiful setting of the New Forest, then this is ideal for you. We have visited twice and look forward to our next trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

I am delighted you and your husband enjoyed your second stay with us, it is certainly always pleasing to hear of our guests returning. We look forward to welcoming you both back for visit number 3! Thomas & the Team.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I returned to Careys Manor for our one year wedding anniversary. We visited the hotel six years ago and I have always looked for an excuse to return. In that first experience I felt that Careys Manor was by far one of the best spa hotels we have been to in the UK. This time round however I was a little disappointed. The main plus points are definitely based around the quality of attention-to-detail service by the staff, and the quality of food. The main points I was frustrated by however were the dated decor in both the corridors and rooms, and the fact that you don't receive the Senspa as part of the price. You have to pay £35 a person extra for the privilege of a hydro pool, a range of themed steam rooms, and the experience showers. Given all other fine spa hotels we have stayed at, we have never had to pay a premium for such facilities. It was £10 six years ago. To conclude I would return to the hotel for sentimental reasons but only by obtaining a good deal (£150/room inc dinner b&b) as I feel that the hotel is very over-priced for what you get.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

It is always a pleasure to hear of our guests returning, however I am saddened to learn that you felt some what let down by this stay not presenting value for money compared to your previous stay 6 years ago. We are naturally having increased operating costs enforced onto us but are always focussed on enhancing the hotel, Spa, and guest experience at every opportunity. Regarding our 'dated decor', I am pleased to report that we have already undergone refurbishment in certain areas of the hotel and will continue to do so as and when feasible. Thomas & the Team.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed overnight for a spa break. Enjoyed the spa but sadly the crystal steam room was unavailable, the staff seemed some what disorganised on arrival, didn't show us around and had difficulty finding slippers for use in the spa. The spa itself was very relaxing and left to our own devices we did enjoy ourselves.
The service within the hotel was very good and the staff were happy to rectify problems, we had a broken lamp in the room and needed to swap the pillows due to an allergy to feathers. The beds were very comfortable and the room was clean.
We ate in the Manor restaurant, the service in the evening was excellent, the food tasted delicious but was somewhat overpriced especially the deserts. It would have been helpful to have a map, a sign or been informed where the restaurant was, as we wandered around to the bar trying to find it.
Breakfast was disappointing, the service was poor,with no small plates available for toast or small serving dishes for marmalade/jam, the cooked breakfast was lukewarm and the eggs were hard and overcooked. The hotel seemed very busy so maybe we were just unlucky!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jacky D

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I was saddened to learn that you were disappointed by aspects of your stay, in particular breakfast which is a meal we pride ourselves on. I will be following up the points you have raised and I thank you for highlighting them. I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future, confident that you would enjoy the relaxing spa break you were hoping for. Thomas & the Team.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Thank you so much for making our stay at careys manor extremely enjoyable and problem free!! We were pleased to have found such a perfectly situated hotel and it ticked all our boxes.

A big thank you to the reception team for helping my new fiancé organise his surprise for me, much appreciated!!

Thank you again!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Jnimavat

Congratulations to you both on your engagement! I am delighted we were able to help create this special memory for you, and look forward to welcoming you both back again. Good luck with the wedding plans! Thomas & the Team.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have just returned from a three night break with my partner staying at the Carey's Manor for the first time looking for a complete relaxing break. First impressions were very good, reception staff helpful and friendly with a added bonus of an surprise upgrade. Our room was on the ground floor overlooking the garden with a small outside area which I thought would be perfect to have a peaceful sit outside before breakfast, however this was not to be the case, building works on the adjacent house started before nine in the morning and was intermittent during the day. I mentioned to the duty Manager on the third day (Saturday) about my disappointment with the noise and would have appreciated to be told on arrival about the building works. The Duty Manager was very apologetic and must have dealt with it as the afternoon was relatively noise free. One other minor complaint was the quality of the breakfast, bacon was tasteless, eggs were left to go hard - Tip, order poached if you like your eggs runny or freshly cooked - I would have expected a much higher standard for the price. On a more positive side, could not fault the staff, amenities or location - perfect. Although this review contains a few complaints it would not put me off staying at the Careys again. I'm sure without the building works I would have had the complete relaxing break I was looking forward to.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms looking out over the garden comes with patio furniture for two
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay with us. I am very sorry that you were disturbed by our renovation work taking place at the hotel, and that you were not made aware of this upon your arrival. I am however, glad that you were still able to enjoy your overall stay with us, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future. The Kitchen Garden that we were developing during your stay is now complete and I hope you will be able to enjoy this on your next visit. Thomas & the Team.

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from careys manor where I stayed overnight for a spa package break - the hotel was gorgeous we had a ground floor room which I would recommend asking for - it faced onto garden and had patio furniture for 2 outside our door and as we had lovely weather this was great. The room was clean and beds very comfortable, we had everything we needed really only thing extra could do with is a fridge. But had tv with good choice of channels and bath/shower etc, toiletries, kettle with good quality tea/coffee selection, safe, good lighting, and good wardrobe space :-)
We ate our dinner in the manor restaurant which was nice our waitress Anna was lovely couldnt have had better service- the food was ok but for the price could be definately improved especially desserts.
For breakfast we ate in the zen garden had a lovely full English- good choice of hot food and also had nice variety of pastry/cereals/fruit/yoghurts/juices only comment would be the youngish lad who seated us was pretty dismissive when we were waiting to be seated and ignored us while he went around collecting menus from empty tables?? Also after ordering drinks with him we had to re-order with another staff as they never arrived
At our table (in fairness he was the only member of staff we didn't receive excellent service from)
For lunch we also ate in the zen garden which was including In our package - nice food options the older gentlemen that served us was lovely as were the ladies and the food was gorgeous.
The spa itself was great there was a variety of areas to use - swimming pool- jacuzzi - steam and sauna (open to all hotel guests) oh and a nice gym.
Then spa guests have use of crystal stea room- herbal sauna (although didnt notice any differenc to regular one?) - 3 different experience showers (these are definitely worth a go as quite strange and amusing)- hydrotherapy pool - and a good variety of relaxation areas which are all different- there is also a mud rasul which is extra but we had a peek in room and looked pretty cool will try this next time.
I have been to other spa's including chewton glen, new park manor, Christchurch harbour hotel and think this is definitely one of my favourite 2.
Overall I really enjoyed my stay and would certainly return - I can see why others may say the decor is dated but it is an old building so in a way is very fitting. I didn't have a problem with the decor as the good points fair out way this a
Thousand to one.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank dizzyd1984

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, making full use of the facilities in SenSpa for a bit of R&R. My sincere apologies for the lapse in service you received in the Zen Garden, as you are aware from the rest of your stay, this is not our usual standard, however I am glad this didn't mar the overall enjoyment of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again. Thomas & the Team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#4 of 10 in Brockenhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel

Been to Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa? Share your experiences!