“Lovely place but a little expensive for what you get”
Review of The Pig

The Pig
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed March 30, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here for a celebration. The location is very picturesque and the hotel is stunning both outside and inside.
Great parking facilities, lovely bar and restaurant set-up and the room was beautiful. Fabulous big comfortable bed and lovely big shower. Wooden floor boards in the room and bathroom whilst looking well lived in were gorgeous. The room is designed with beautiful colours and matching furniture.
The first night was extremely hot and e wet a little frustrated that the air conditioner wouldn't go below 19 degrees nod ended up having to have that on and the window open to get a breeze.
The same happened the following night. This is a place to go for pure relaxation.
For he cost though, it is expensive as it does not include breakfast, which must be one of the minority of places hat don't include breakfast. Once you add in breakfast it does become an expensive weekend. Whilst he breakfast is probably the best meal to have there, it is a shame in this day and age it isn't inc
Luddite in the cost.
Free wifi is great and he towels are lovely and hick.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the top floor as otherwise ou hear people using their bathroom.
1  Thank CondeTraveller

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Went for lunch while staying in Lymington for a few days as everybody I spoke to said it was a must. The restaurant food and service was perfect. I loved the setting and relaxed atmosphere! Will definitely be back and hopefully stay in the hotel next time.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jojo H
Reviewed March 24, 2014

No welcome, slow service in bar despite staff standing around.
Tripple cooked chips were soggy potato wedges.
The food in general was just ok.
Disappointing overall, as this did not live up to its reputation nor our previous experience.
We left after the main course and went elsewhere for dessert and coffee.
We won't be rushing back.

1  Thank Tracey M
Reviewed March 23, 2014

It was my step-niece-in-law's 21st birthday bash, and The Pig looked after 12 of us royally. Starting with glasses of fizz and an amazingly presented smorgasbord of nibbly canapes (a big slice of polished oak covered artistically with things like quail scotch eggs, roast belly pork, kabanos, pickled veggies, black pudding croquets and chunks of pork crackling, all with lovely dressings and apple sauce), we were then led through to a private dining room where we had a lovely sit-down table d'hote meal; I had more lovely cured meats to start, then an amazing grilled brill with sorrel sauce and new potatoes, others had a coppa risotto, and pork faggots, all of them reported as being gorgeous. The wines were lovely, snd served at just the right speed. A milk blancmange I now desperately want to try to recreate at home finished the meal beautifully, then we had a slow walk around the extensive kitchen gardens and said hello to the pigs and chickens and bees.

It really is quite an operation, The Pig; as far as we could tell, all its veg comes from its gardens, a lot of its pork and eggs too, and the fish comes up from Southampton. So in terms of sustainability, it is at the forefront of this kind of catering operation. In terms of cooking, it's nonpareil too; we were blown away by the quality of the cooking, it's imaginative, careful and executed perfectly. The place itself has a nicely done worn, shabby chic feel to it; comfy, funny (loved the alleged pigs' heads mounted on the walls in our dining room!) and the staff are kind, knowledgeable and very professional indeed.

All in all, a very pleasant 3 or 4 hours indeed. We will most definitely be back; we might even stay in one of their rooms next time...

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Heard so much about this place thought it was about time i checked it out.
Took a friend to the restaurant. Had a drink in the bar first, Very friendly staff with very informal uniform. Log fires and a cozy feel. Menu you was extensive. Started with nibbles from the "Piggy Bites" Pork crackling & brock eggs. Both were very nice. It was a bit dark in the bar area so had trouble reading the menu..
The restaurant was a great natural earthy feel. I had the venison sausages which wasn't as good as it could've been. A bit dry and overcooked. But my partner had the mussels which she raved about. My main was lamb which was served in a bowl. I found it hard to eat with my steak knife and fork as it had a lot of sauce & peas but nothing to scoop it up with. My partner had the suckling pig which was cooked to perfection. The Waitress was called Morgan, just
adorable & very knowledgeable of the menu when questioned.. All in all had a very pleasant evening.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ian B
Reviewed March 19, 2014

4 of us had dinner at the Pig last night and what a great place. We loved the whole evening. The house is beautifully decorated in a shabby chic manner. This sets a wonderful tone. All the staff were amazing - friendly and knowledgeable. We loved the menu and the 25 mile rule. Importantly, the food itself was very good. We had a variety of starters and mains. Without exception, everything was delicious. We then retired to comfortable sofas for coffee and "pigy fours". A perfect end to a very good evening. When we arrived, we were surprised to see how busy the restaurant was, but when we left we completely understood why. Book ahead and enjoy...

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Roger S
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We stayed for a night to celebrate my birthday. Greeting was warm and welcoming. We were shown to our room (number 8) by the helpful receptionist. The room wasn't vast but it had everything we needed and it was quiet with no noise from neighbours and it overlooked the gardens. Fabulous bathroom - roll top bath, huge waterfall shower, lovely great big fluffy towels and gallons of piping hot water. The public rooms are lovely - very "country house". We went down to dinner, had a drink in the bar and then were shown to our table. Now, I had been really looking forward to this meal - I'd read all the rave reviews and was quite excited but it was a bit of a let down. Firstly the restaurant area. Well, I'm all for mood lighting but we were actually sitting in virtual darkness - the only light was coming from a tea candle on the table. I had always thought that sight was an important sense with food - that's why presentation is so important but this was more like those trendy "blind" restaurants (where you sit on purpose in a pitch black room). It wasn't just us - the couple of the table next to us kept tipping their plates towards their candle to see what they were eating!

I'd ordered the lamb tortellini for starters. 3 tortellini turned up - one was crispy where it had been kept under the passe lamp too long and the other 2 the wrong side of al dente. I'd completely forgotten that there was speck drapped over them only remebering when I tasted it (couldn't see it because of lack of light). Mains were plaice (covered with capers - a problem as I hate them and they weren't mentioned on the menu - had to ask for another candle so I could pick them off - and there were a lot of them. Came with 3 halves of new potato which when we'd been advised not to order a side was a bit annoying). and the short ribs (dry and chewy - very disappointing chips were good though). Desserts passed muster (although so unmemerable I can't remember what I had). So all in all not the best gastronomic experience. Breakfast (which is charged extra to the room rate - bit naughty), was OK. There was lots of choice but my tea came in a pot with held barely a mug full and the coffee wasn't much better. My husband had a bacon sandwich - came with the rinds still attached which had they been crispy wouldn't have been too bad but they were flacid so not nice.

All in all, I found it over priced and came away feeling a bit let down. The restaurant appears to be riding on the coat tails of it's reputation - it needs to be careful and buck up it's ideas, the public are fickle and they won't get away with it for long.

Room Tip: No 8 was good
1  Thank MarianW123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst
Beaulieu Hotel
Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to The Pig? Share your experiences!