“Charming”

and 1 more site!
The Pig
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Decided to take my husband as a surprise for his birthday, surprise it was not!! A phone call the day before told him of the reservation............hey ho. My fault for not giving my mobile no. It sort of spoiled it, but having arrived, we were taken to a lounge with a roaring fire, then complimentary champagne arrived, followed by canapés of miniature scotch eggs and the best crackling ever! Our food order taken, with no sense of rush. I opted for fresh tagliatelle , my husband had a black pudding tartlet. Absolutely delicious. A superbly cooked steak followed and the same can be said for a moist pork chop. The service was faultless and the setting was too. At the end of the meal, we were presented with a little pig cookie, with happy birthday pipped on. The reason for me being so impressed, as I did on the phone call let them know of my disappointment. Charming attentiveness, with nothing being said, but very thoughtful . Definitely will go back. Well worth a visit.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have visited The Pig many times and it never let's you down....the best Bloody Mary's, great staff, beautiful setting, comfortable dining room, excellent food. We have taken many a friend there, who request to go back time and time again....you can't say better than that. Last time, I had a superb bottle of Portugese wine.......when I contacted them asking for the name of it, they couldn't have been more helpful..it is now in my wine rack!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I had wanted to stay and eat here for a while and we chose my birthday week. We upgraded from a cosy to comfortable room and whilst the bed was very comfortable it was strange to have rickety floorboards in the bedroom and bathroom. A real plus was the coffee maker, first time i have seen in a room. Not a place that you would dress up for as you may feel out of place but this made for a comfortable and relaxing stay. Food was very good and they had a good choice of wines at reasonable prices. Restaurant was a mix of wooden tables and patio chairs in the conservatory. It was very warm so wear light clothing. Food was good, service nothing out of ordinary. Need to book well in advance, not even taking a room guarantees a decent reservation time, we had only 9pm or 9.30 to choose from. We didn't stay for breakfast as this was not included but it should have been for the room rate and particularly if you are eating at The Pig as well

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My family and I had high hopes of The Pig after reading the reviews, we were greeted by a nice enough waitress who took our coat and led us to our table, I was the only one that ordered a starter which was Onion tart with black pudding, I expected to see pieces of onion, however, it was like a paste which was not nice on the palate. We then had our mains which were nice enough but nowhere near good enough to warrant the cost, we decided against a dessert. When we received the bill, there was a service charge of 12.5%, we did not want to make a scene in front of our Mother as she was already concerned about the cost of the meal, therefore, we paid it. As we left there was nobody to see us out or get our coats, so we got them ourselves. The prices of the meals is far to high for what you get. Not value for money.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank KarenJoyce_12
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Wow! Just wow!!! I have stayed in posher, cleaner, fancier and more sophisticated hotels, but none of them made me smile like the Pig. Perfect decor, friendly staff and great food.

Downsides? Access road was blocked, but that is hardly the fault of the hotel. Crying baby at neighbouring table was very annoying until the staff told the parents to up their parenting skills and take care of it. All in all as near to perfection as possible,

Room Tip: We had a "bottom of the range" comfy room. Based on this the top of the range rooms must...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

On arrival for lunch, very impressed by the look and feel of the place. They are trying really hard to make this hotel the ultimate in trendiness....and it really works!
However, there are a few things that need more attention...such as the seating layout in the delightful conservatory/restaurant. The smaller tables are so close together, you can smell the food from the next table and hear it being eaten! The food is very well presented with some "Faux Trendies" even taking photographs of their food and Twittering I expect.
I had the black pudding scotch egg which looked really cool man but was bland. Overall, the meal and the experience was enjoyable albeit the friendly young staff were so busy that they didn't really have time to make you feel welcome.
We will come back again but probably on a week day when it should be more welcoming and relaxed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FlyingScotsman150
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I took my wife to The Pig for a few days in late October. I have to say the setting is very nice and the house is delightful. If is very well done inside and loved the bar area and general feel of the place. There were however a few things that we really did not like.

We had Room 6 and there was a very strong smell of sewage coming from the bathroom. We had to leave the window open when we left in order to keep the smell under control. On our departure I also heard another couple complaining about the smell in their room. Apparently it was because of the rain. Sorry guys i dont buy that. I know lots of people who live in old houses and they do not have that problem. At night after we had gone to bed at 11.00 ish we could still hear the noise down stairs going on till 2.30 in the morning. Both heavy sleepers so wasnt too bad but if you are a light sleeper you would struggle. The decor in the room was very nice and done well.

I was especially excited about the food and i must say i was a little let down by this. The first night was average at best. The second night a little better and the pork belly starter was very good. Generally not hugely impressed by the standard of the food.

Breakfast is not included and they charge a huge amount for a fry up or posh 'continental'. Surely this should be included in the price of the room.

It really is a lovely looking place and has been done very well internally and externally. I just couldnt help however leaving feeling a little dissapointed. There must be better places in the New Forest to spend that kind of money. Sad to say i wouldnt go again and I really wanted to like it.

Room Tip: Dont book room 6 unless the sort out the smell.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to The Pig? Share your experiences!