As first time visitors we loved almost everything about The Pig apart from the cost, which was pretty eye-watering. Luckily we were partially subsidised by gift vouchers from a family member. The location and setting would be hard to beat, although as others have noted there's a railway line one field away from the house. We didn't find this intrusive.
The "shabby chic" style works well. I can understand if some guests don't take to it, although it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who researches before booking. The informality of the staff fits the image.
Our room in what I took to be a converted stable block was clean and well presented.
The restaurant appears to be fully booked for lunch and dinner every day, attracting large numbers of non-residents. The menu is fairly short, as previously noted. However, unlike the reviewer who had difficulty finding anything he or she wanted, we wished to stay longer so we could try everything. A good and generous breakfast buffet is augmented by several cooked options at extra cost, although frankly for these room prices the basic breakfast might well be included, rather than adding £10 per person.
Our only small problem was with the timing of our evening meals. Taking advice from the hotel because of the restaurant's popularity, we reserved tables for both of our nights at the time of booking the room. Without going through all the details of what followed, we eventually sat down at our preferred time and there didn't seem to be a problem, so the whole saga was a bit of a mystery.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pig is a bang up to date take on a new style of home grown, 26 bedroom country house hotel and what that needs to be today - original, relaxed and sitting comfortably within its environment. It's really a restaurant with rooms. This is a place that is all about the walled garden and everything is driven by the gardener/forager and chef - they grow and find the food - the chef then makes the menu. The style is home grown in every way - breaking the mold of designed hotels, daring to be comfortable in its own skin, working with what it has and recognising what is good about that. It won't be perfect, it will be warm, relaxed, comfy, interesting, and homely with muted colours, a bit shabby chic and evolved rather than interior designed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Pig reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pig Hotel Brockenhurst
- Hotel Whitley Ridge
- Whitley Ridge Brockenhurst
- The Pig Brockenhurst, New Forest National Park Hampshire