We have been to the Pig many times, but since our last visit, things have changed.
There is still the homely happy feel around the place, but mainly you feel that it is now a well oiled machine rather than the friendly retreat it was when we last went in November. The restaurant/bar in particular now feel devoid of charectars besides the lovely Polish hostess (Barbara) and the South African (?) barman. On previous visits, there were a good few very happy, clever and witty staff, mostly British and french who went out of their way to help us relax. I'm sure other Pig regulars have noticed this... When i asked the straightforward manager he said something muddled about 'people move on'.
What he didn't understand was that this is what we loved most about the place, could they not hire some more charmers? The service seemed fairly regimented and soulless at times, the sommelier had little knowledge of the wine list, and food was slammed down in front of us.
I still love the atmosphere, the food and the location, the reception girls are as delightful as always, and the showers are where i'm happiest!!
Maybe we just had the days when the nice people were off, but couldnt help feeling a little saddened. Hopefully all the staff we loved will appear at the next Pig.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pig is a bang up to date take on a new style of home grown, 26 bedroom country house hotel and what that needs to be today - original, relaxed and sitting comfortably within its environment. It's really a restaurant with rooms. This is a place that is all about the walled garden and everything is driven by the gardener/forager and chef - they grow and find the food - the chef then makes the menu. The style is home grown in every way - breaking the mold of designed hotels, daring to be comfortable in its own skin, working with what it has and recognising what is good about that. It won't be perfect, it will be warm, relaxed, comfy, interesting, and homely with muted colours, a bit shabby chic and evolved rather than interior designed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Pig reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pig Hotel Brockenhurst
- Hotel Whitley Ridge
- Whitley Ridge Brockenhurst
- The Pig Brockenhurst, New Forest National Park Hampshire