“Wow, amazing weekend”
Review of The Pig

The Pig
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This place is special, we spent a weekend celebrating our birthdays. Fantastic service, great food and our room the en house was wonderful. Split level with roll top bath and log fire! Go and enjoy this amazing hotel

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Pig

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Four of us went to the Pig for dinner last night, having already promised myself that I would not return after several poor experiences I thought I would give it one last chance. Frankly, I should not have bothered;
• Poor and indifferent service, being hurried to have our order taken when we were trying to enjoy a conversation with friends. Don’t bother trying to place your order in the Bar that is not the way they like to do it as I was informed on a previous visit.
• No evidence of anyone being in charge of the “jeans and sneaker” wearing team who look and act like they are on the “catwalk”.
• Perhaps their refrigeration equipment had malfunctioned as none of our bottles of wine, water or beers were anything like cold enough. We were given an apology for this! It’s mildly ironic that they can present you with a frozen glass for beer but not a cold beer! This is totally summed up by the well-worn phrase being applied to this establishment “Style Over Substance”.
• The food is fine – but does not represent good value for money, certainly nothing to complain about in terms of quality but served in a highly amateurish way by inexperienced waiting staff who are not confident about presenting what they have on the plates and being a million miles away from knowing “who ordered what” – remember we were a table of 4!
Why is it so busy – every time I have been it reminds me of a book I loved as a child “The Emperor’s New Clothes”.
To be fair they have created a beautiful atmosphere in terms of the spaces, lighting, decoration, music etc. and the location is lovely, however, they seriously need to address the very real and fundamental service issues and raise the quality of the food offering or lower their prices.
Well the Emperor nearly got away with it – didn’t he? Stop voting with your wallets and vote with your feet – I will not be returning to be disappointed once again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
14  Thank Saab L
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Only stayed for 1 night - sadly. We had a "Snug" room which was more than the web site led me to believe, not the largest of rooms, but quite big enough with a very comfy large bed and the best shower I have evr had. Dinner was everything people had led us to believe. Beautifully cooked, wonderful use of fresh ingredients a real wow. Good wine list, not particularly cheap and could use some better descriptions as lots of unknown bottles here. The only slight niggle would be the service, lots of waiters etc, but quite difficult to get their attention sometimes. Wandered round the Veg garden the next morning which brings the whole ethos into perspective.

had a truly wonderful eveing and will now have to find some feeble excuses to go back

1  Thank FionnSE
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We had lunch at The Pig, love the decor and the relaxed style. It's like having your own country house. The lounges are good for chilling out after eating. Lunch was delicious. We were sat not far from Howard from Take That. The desert was to die for. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jonathan S
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I recently booked and then cancelled at the Pig in the Forest in Brockenhurst for November for 3 nights as when confirmation was received from the hotel, I discovered that breakfast is not included. I have read many good things about this hotel but felt this issue is something that could be rectified easily by the management. At £199 night, it would be nice if they could include this. It is wrong to charge an extra £15 per night on top of your room rate when so many other hotels do include this as standard. Other Trip Advisor members have also noted this. I

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Helena P
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Great location and beautiful interior and cosy rooms. Loads of character. Their recent marketing drive must be paying off as the rooms are getting all booked up in advance and we couldn't get a table in the restaurant until 9pm (on a Tuesday). There are nice lounge areas where you can sit on sofas in front of a wood fire and enjoy a drink while looking over the menu. The food was nice and good portions, but nothing too exciting, mostly lumps of meat (I had the massive pork chop which was nice). Not many vegetarian options either. It was more like good pub food than fancy restaurant (apart from prices). Staff were friendly and well trained (not arrogant at all), but it did feel like they were being pushed too hard to maintain the balance between having a laid back feel to the place and dealing with so many customers at once. Maybe more staff working to stricter process or book less customers in? This was a romantic getaway for us and value for money was not a priority, but they could have thrown in a bowl of cereal and fruit for breakfast at £149 / night (comfy room). They are obviously doing great business, so could afford to tweak things a bit to get some more "excellent" ratings. We did enjoy it but I'll be tempted to try different hotel next time to see how it compares.

3  Thank MrPaulWood
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We have just returned from a weekend at The Pig. Upon arriving, we were blown away by the beautiful house, and grounds. When walking through the front door, we immediately felt at ease, and the receptionist who checked us in was extremely friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Pig Hut. The room was very clean, smelt delicious and was very homely and comforting. It was very close to the main trainline in to London which was pretty noisy but it did not detract from the overall experience.

We went out for a walk in the afternoon, and decided to come back to the hotel to have tea in the drawing room. We had to wait for a very long time for someone to come and take our order, and despite asking more than once for some tap water, it never came. The staff were very keen to get the bill signed off before they finished their shift. This was a shame, as after experiencing fantastic hospitality on check in, we were a little disappointed at the lounge service.

We arrived at the bar for dinner in the evening and were immediately served by the friendly barman. The drinks came quickly, followed by a waitress from the restaurant with a menu for us to look at. Our table was booked at 21.15, however the staff were keen to seat us from about 20.40 which we did not do. We felt rushed through our drinks after finally sitting down to eat at 21.00.

The restaurant manager took our order in the bar, and answered our questions with good knowledge, and suggested that I ordered a portion of chips to accompany my main course, which I did. Upon sitting at the table, our food arrived quickly, but the bottle of wine that we had ordered did not come until after we had started our main courses – the waiter claimed that he did not get the order. No big deal. The chips that I had been upsold, never arrived either, yet did appear on our bill.

Overall, the meal was lovely. The only downside to my meal was the completely overpowering flavour of garlic on my wild mushroom starter ( I could have been eating anything – no mushroom flavour at all). I love garlic, but I could not taste anything else for the next 24 hours which made the rest of the meal slightly unenjoyable. The atmosphere in the restaurant was great, but despite plenty of staff being on duty, we never had our glasses topped up, and it was hard to get someone’s attention. We also felt a little rushed through the meal.

The Pig has got so much potential to be an absolutely first class hotel and restaurant. With a little more attention to detail on the service side, it would be a complete winner. I would definitely go back, but probably just to eat, and not stay. That said, I will recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: The external rooms are stunning. A real home away from home.
3  Thank jemimapuddleduck612
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to The Pig? Share your experiences!