“Great Value”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Sevenoaks
“Great Value”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We booked 2 nights short break in January as we had stayed many times in the past with the children and as a couple. The hotel has refurbished to a high standard and we were upgraded to a superior room on arrival. The charge per night was an absolute bargain at £79. The room was huge and immaculate with a 6ft bed and forest views. There was a deal on dinner too however the portions were quite small but a 3 course meal with a drink for under £60 is not bad. Breakfast was relaxing with lovely staff and good food. The pool and spa facilities were good too and due to how quiet the hotel was we had the luxury of the pool to ourselves.
I cannot fault my visit and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Request an upgrade on arrival
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

It is great to hear that you took us up on one of the fantastic deals we are doing at the moment!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

K Birrell - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
London
Reviewed January 28, 2012

My mother and I stayed at this hotel for one night in January with my 2 year old daughter. I always rather dread taking her to hotels as some say that they welcome children but in reality this is not the case. However from the moment we arrived I was comfortable and did not feel like I had to keep my daughter seen but not heard. During meals they brought a highchair and colouring things and they had a children's menu. They provided a cot in the room and the swimming pool is just perfect for small children as it is really warm, clean and safe.
The room was nice and well appointed and when we had a problem with the towel rail (I couldn't see the switch to turn it on) they sent someone up immediately to sort the problem. The only problem i had with the room was the bed; they were very very soft and I did not sleep well.
The service in general was very good but we did have one issue during our lunch. My mothers chicken in her Caesar salad was very over cooked and tough, to the point she couldn't cut it let alone eat it. When the very young waiter asked the obligatory "Was everything ok with your meal?" in a rhetorical fashion my mother told him of the inedible chicken and he seemed bit flustered, didn't even really apologise, let alone inform the Chef and take salad off the bill. I think that there should always be a policy about dealing with this sort of complaint, either offering something else to the customer or at least a sincere apology.
Over all I would highly recommend this hotel and will be going back. I put the issue with our lunch down to an inexperienced staff member and the rest of the service was very good.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

We are one of the most family friendly 4 star hotels in the area with our selection of large family rooms and adjoining family suites. We are also one of the few hotels that have no restrictions for the times that children can use our swimming pools.

I am disappointed to read how poorly your mother's complaint about her chicken was dealt with, please accept my, belated, sincere apologies for this.

I do hope we will get the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Easton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a very enjoyable stay at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. We stayed for two nights and ate in both the restaurant and the lounge bar and both meals were A+. All the staff were friendly and helpful and the room was spotless, the only downside, was we were in room 43 which was opposite the lift and a little noisy when people chatted while waiting for the lift. The location is very good ideal for a bit of retail therapy as Southampton is only 20 minutes drive away and then return to relax at the hotels leisure center. As other people have said not cheap but worth every penny. Would have no problem recommending this hotel to friends and we hope to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn Hotel.

As you say, we are perfectly located for a bit of retail therapy as well as a chance to enjoy the peace and tranquility of our forest setting.

I am sorry there was an element of disturbance with your room being so close to the lift.

I do hope we will get the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I have just returned from the Balmer Lawn 21/01/12 for one night Good Points Excellent food and service in the restaurant Not SO good Points Stayed in room 17 claims to be 4 star standard in fairness did take dog with us Hotel says Dogs more than welcome Room very Sub_Standard damaged open plug socket (A SMALL CHILD COULD HAVE GOT THERE FINGERS IN !!!!!) Informed lady on reception who noted my concerns then other receptionist (could not read name badge bust something like Arga ) butted in and was very rude going on about the experience anyway back to the room bin was disgusting had not been cleaned on the outside for sometime Carpet was a joke no chair at dressing table but must say Bathroom nice This is an Average Hotel nothing specail in fact i would say overpriced they also state to welcome dogs clearley this is NOT the case I have stayed at many Hotels in The New Forest and must have been more welcoming and better value for money will not hurry back

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank garrygo0odman
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am sorry that you thought room 17 to not be of a 4 star standard. We are a family owned hotel and have many rooms that are individually designed, some with a modern, contemporary look and others more classic and traditional. Not every room suits every taste. The maintenance issues that you brought to our attention have now been addressed.

We are, most definitely, a dog friendly hotel. The hotel's proprietors have 2 dogs and I have 3! I am sorry that this didn't come across well.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your meal in the restaurant.

Kent
Reviewed January 22, 2012

The restaurant within this hotel is as good as a London restaurant with service to match. very good indeed and the highlight of our stay.
The hotel is in a great locationand the decor very nice.
However the reception and bar staff are not the most helpful, in stark contrast to restaurant staff. The room wss awful and felt like it was above a sauna even with the heating off and window open & had a great view of a wall.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank sprin23

It is great to hear that you found our restaurant to be of the standard of a London restaurant, praise indeed.

I am sorry that you found our bar and reception staff to not be so helpful. We are usually praised for the friendliness, and helpfulness, of all our staff. I am sorry this wasn't the case during your stay.

We have recently installed new heating boilers, which can be a bit over zealous, and with what has been a considerable mild January, it has been hard to get the temperature just right. My apologies for any discomfort this caused.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. We have plenty of 'forest view' rooms which you might find a better choice should you wish to return.

Essex, UK
Reviewed January 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night only on the 10th January, the occasion was our 15th wedding anniversary.
We wanted to push the boat out a bit and we were not disappointed!!
Its looks quite impressive and the reception staff, on our arrival, and throughout our short stay could not have been more pleasant to deal with.
The room was great, lovely large bed and a settee.
We used the gym, pool, jacuzzi and sauna which were ok and a bit of a bonus.
The evening meal however was the highlight of the stay. A bit surprised to be the only diners but we had the undivided attention of our young French waiter Romain who was very professional and attentive.
I wont bore you with all the meal details as we all have different tastes but suffice to say it was excellent, not cheap but exactly what we wanted / expected for this special occasion, even had a personally decorated sweet with a candle!!
All in all, judging from our, albeit short visit I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. Thank you.

Room Tip: Better view over the front than the back.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

I do hope we will get the pleasure of welcoming you back for your 16th Wedding Anniversary, if not before!

Woodlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I would like to mention that not only does this Hotel serve excellent lunches, but also highly recommend the afternoon tea! What a lovely way to relax with a friend. The friendly service and delicious afternoon tea ( sandwiches, scones and scrumptious home made cakes and biscuits) in very pleasant surroundings. All at a very reasonable price.
A great way to pass a few hours followed by a brisk walk to walk off the calories!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarah B
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, January 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a complimentary review on your recent afternoon tea with us.

We really are the perfect venue for a relaxing afternoon tea and having tasted many of the homemade cakes and biscuits myself, I certainly agree that they are indeed delicious!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

K Birrell - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!