“CB”
Review of Forest Park Hotel

Forest Park Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Having just spent a very pleasant couple of days at the Forest Park Hotel I would say that it is a shame that so many people find fault. Yes there were things that needed attention but to be fair the new owners have taken on a very run down property and are working very hard to improve things. The room we had had been refurbished and overlooked the garden which was very nice. The armchairs were a bit shabby and the shower hose did not fit into the holder so it had to be a hand held one and the taps on the wash basin would not fully turn off which meant quite a wastage of water. All that said the staff were very pleasant and helpful and the meals were good. There were no tea making facilities in the room but on request a tray was brought up at no extra charge. It is a place that I would return to give it a year for refurbishment to be completed as the location is ideal for the 'Forest' feel and only a 10-15 minute walk to Brockenhurst Village.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the garden
1  Thank Betty R
There are newer reviews for Forest Park Hotel

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Due to the nature of recent reviews, I was on the point of cancelling the three rooms I had booked for the family. However, as nothing else was available, I decided to phone and discuss my needs / concerns (in particular, dust allergies and the requirements of a toddler). After a long conversation, I felt somewhat reassured and impressed with the thoughtfulness of the receptionist in choosing our rooms.
On arrival, we were glad we hadn't cancelled. The hotel is a "work in progress" but that didn't affect us at all. The young man who showed us to our rooms told all about recent improvements and those planned.
To be completely honest, although the cleaning could have been more thorough and there were signs of damp, all three room were basically clean, spacious and airy with everything we needed for a comfortable stay.
We all dined in the restaurant where the food was delicious and the service exceptional. The restaurant manager was attentive to our every need. My granddaughter, hungry after a long day at Peppa Pig World, was served early and great consideration was shown to our special dietary requirements.
Afterwards we would have liked to have gone to the bar to have enjoyed the entertainment, but having a young child asleep, we (6 adults) decided to sit in one of the rooms and continue relaxing together. There was plenty of room and suitable chairs to do this comfortably.
We all had a good night's sleep which set us up nicely for a walk in the New Forest the next day. We were happy to have a continental breakfast as we were planning to lunch later. However, we would have liked to have seen some cold meats and cheese included.

All in all, we had a good time and would come back again.

Room Tip: Our rooms 12,14 and 17 were on the quiet side overlooking the garden. I asked not to have the room...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank essexlady12
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed 1 night in room 30. The hotel is quite interesting and probably a property of some statue many years ago, however, it would appear that many years of underinvestment have taken there toll.
The potential of this hotel is huge, but what greets you is threadbare carpets, missing light fitting in the bathroom and a shower that couldn't be regulated. Strangely, in our bedroom it's had a trouser press but no tea and coffee making facilities. The door to the bathroom was of a sliding type which wasn't fixed at the bottom, so consequently it flapped about when in use. The extractor fan was very loud and other guests extractor fans could be heard in use, which made a considerable background din.
The car park was the old tennis court as a lot of building work was being carried out.
The hotel was nicely positioned with a ten min walk into the high street.
Summing up, it is a hotel of old world charm, however, it is a work in progress, with time and money needing to be spent to bring it back to its former glory. If you are going to stay don't pay anymore than £75-85 a night.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner last night! This hotel has recently been taken over and the new owner is starting many upgrades and redecoration! I have to say though although it is obviously undergoing transformations you can absolutely see how fantastic it will be when finished! That aside it's a very welcoming hotel with fantastic staff in a great location! We had dinner in the restaurant which was excellent, the starters we chose were cauliflower soup,chicken liver parfait and prawn cocktail!for mains we had sea bass and chicken ballottine! Pudd were banana bread and butter pudding,Eton mess and great selection of cheese! Really really good good! Looking forward to going back!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed for three nights booking online B&B. Sited beautifully right in the forest it has a newly painted outside but building work to the side where they are erecting two houses. The inside is dated but being renovated. The dining room,breakfast room are all new painted and refloored. Our room was newly renovated with a re paint, new carpet but with old furniture. The outside of the bathroom door had been painted but not the inside. The bathroom was clean and looked like new fittings but the light pull was an old dirty affair.

There were no tea making facilities and when we asked about it were told that they had just been withdrawn, obviously because of the new carpet. How can any hotel not offer this facility?

Dinner in the pub part of the hotel was a wonderful experience the ambience was lovely with visitors bringing in their dogs ( the hotel is dog friendly) The food is superb, excellent choice, well cooked and really tasty. The two course menu for £15 was good value for money and their game terrine was a taste treat.

The main issue with this hotel is breakfast. Badly organised and ill thought out. We assumed that having booked bed and breakfast that we would have a full breakfast but no. It was just continental. A cooked breakfast was another £10. Very poor show. One day the croissant were warm the one it was cold. One day we had Milk in a jug, the next no milk jugs at all. It took three to four goes to get the toast brown and although there was tea in a flask there was no hot water for the other teas available and we had to ask it each day.

Overall the hotel is obviously a work in progress and the end result will be a very good hotel but they need to get their facilities and restaurant running efficiently. September 2013

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here for one night. The receptionist booking us in was very good and pleasant, but the hotel is rather tired looking but I understand from previous comments that it has new owners so it may take time for the updating of the décor etc.

The room was adequate, the bed was a small double bed, very soft and saggy so not very comfortable. The bathroom had what it needed, and the water in the shower was hot which was good. The TV was annoying, every time you switched it on it rescanned for new channels.

The location was excellent, we had a room in the front facing the woods. It also has a wonderful garden to sit in.

We booked through Booking.com and it stated that it has tea & coffee making facilities in the room - there were NONE. We did not bother complaining as it was only for one night.

Also when having breakfast the menu stated that a English Breakfast was an additional cost, I think it was £9 each and the room only comes with a continental breakfast. I had to approach the waitress stating we paid for an English Breakfast as well as part of the package; then she said some bookings do have this - but it should be clearer in the menu stating that the English Breakfast is chargeable unless pre-booked.

The hotel has a nice character but it does need a lot of work especially to the upstairs and bedrooms; but hopefully this will be looked at by the new owners in time.

The added bonus is that the hotel is only about 15 minutes to the Brockenhurst village.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a pre-review really, as we booked SIX days ago, direct through the hotel's website, for next weekend and we have just received an email (not even a personalised email, just a "good evening" non-addressed one) saying that due to an overbooking situation through late rooms (I did not book through late rooms, I booked DIRECT with the hotel, and have received a reservation confirmation DIRECT from the hotel six days ago), they have had to cancel my booking and "out book" me to another venue. Apparently I have been booked at an alternative hotel "of the same standard". It is not in their T&Cs that they will out book guests if they can't honour the booking. I was not consulted if I wanted an alternative venue, nor consulted as to the choice of alternative venue. I was told my booking with the other hotel was "confirmed" but when I called to cancel the booking (it was not a hotel I would have chosen to stay at) they had no knowledge of my booking. I am waiting for confirmation in writing from this disorganised and very badly-run Forest Park Hotel (I am still waiting for a reply to my email, 24 hours later) as I presume that I am now bound under the cancellation policy for the new venue, and I can only assume that they have passed my credit card details to another venue without my authorisation. But I can't cancel the new venue as they have advised me that they don't have my booking ..... I don't necessarily expect a telephone call to cancel my booking, but it is very discourteous to not even have the email message personalised, nor to be given any choices in the matter. As it was a "blanket" cancellation message, I dread to think how many other guests have been cancelled. These things happen, and that's understandable, but this Hotel needs to seriously look at the way they process their admin. I doubt they would want me as a guest now anyway, but I certainly would not even consider this place again. I would not feel confident that my booking would not be cancelled again at short notice, and with a very poor explanation of the reason ...... I want to make it clear that I am not reviewing a stay at the hotel, as I won't actually be staying there now, but I am writing a review about their admin procedures, and their treatment of guests. It's clear that possibly a block booking has come in and they have had to juggle existing bookings, and I completely understand that this happens from time to time, but have the courtesy of personalising messages to prospective guests, and giving guests choices of what they want. Don't just make a booking elsewhere that a guest has to then decide whether they want or not, and then have to struggle to cancel because the new hotel can't find the booking! Very poor first impressions .... and after reading some of the other guests' reviews about lack of cleanliness, outdated décor, waiting times for service then, if those reviews are a true reflection of the hotel, maybe this has all been for the good. Yes, I am a bit miffed, but this could have been handled so much better by the Hotel if they had only taken a bit more time and effort.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Rhinefield House Hotel
Rhinefield House Hotel
#7 of 10 in Brockenhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel

Been to Forest Park Hotel? Share your experiences!