“Just changing hands so watch this space” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Forest Park Hotel

Forest Park Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Lyon, France
“Just changing hands so watch this space”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just returned (March) from a 4 night stay. We had been a year before, and found it warm, friendly, and , if a little shabby, very comfortable and clean. In particular it is very dog friendly.
This time we found the (still friendly and helpful) staff working against the odds. The chain that owns it (Akkeron) have just sold it to an individual owner, the sale is not yet completed and Akkeron is not letting them spend any money at all, so they were running out of everything, for example, no whiskey at all in the bar. They werec so short handed that they had to close the resteraunt for one night.
Despite the problems, the staff were superb, the hotel clean, breakfast excellent, and the position in the Forest but a few minutes walk from Brockenhurst centre is unbeatable.
We look forward to visiting when the new owner is in charge , some updating of the hotel, and I do hope the same welcome.
Akkeron group took our money and did not provide the basics. I will be very careful to ensure they are not intending to sell the hotel before visiting that groups hotels again.

Room Tip: Premium rooms are a superb size. Forest facing rooms look on to a road, (quiet at night) but garden...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kathy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The Hotels website promotes ‘a warm welcome awaits you’, which to be honest is about as good as it gets. We stayed at the Hotel late in February, and were left extremely disappointed by the service considering the £100 per night rate.

For anyone considering a night’s stay here, we would have found the following information useful prior to booking;
- Décor and furniture of the hotel is very dated, unfortunately leaving a tired feel about the place which is in desperate need of rejuvenation.
- The standard double room is actually a twin room with beds pushed together.
- The room does not come with basic complimentary toiletries, toothpaste and soap are absent and shower gel, shampoo and conditioner can be purchased for £5.95.
- Breakfast was included in the booking, however often arrived cold and the continental breakfast seemed bare. Certainly not worth the £15 price! If there is an option to exclude it from the price, there are plenty of local bistros and cafés within walking distance which have more on offer at a more reasonable price.

We also found certain aspects of our room to be unclean, such as used tea cups and stains on the carpet and in the bathroom, which appears to be prevalent amongst reviews of the hotel.

The management/check out staff had an awful attitude, and as well as managing to be as rude as possible they also succeeding in showing how completely incompetent they were when establishing whether we had already been charged for the room or not was left to us checking our online banking account.

Despite the above, we found both the waiting staff at Breakfast and the night porter were extremely friendly and the area is beautiful with lovely local restaurants and pubs.

2 Thank James82575

Travelers are raving about these Brockenhurst hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband myself and our dog recentley stayed at the Forest Park Hotel at Brockenhurst we had a lovely stay ,the staff were very helpful although the room needed some jobs done it was warm and comfortable.Our dog was made welcome, as expected she was not aloud in the dining room but a table was set up in another room so our dog could breakfast with us.In all a very nice stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Doreen D
Burton On Trent
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights (22 & 23 Feb) with Buy a gift. When i booked I was a little worried on what it would be like after reading some of the reviews. However I always like to give a hotel the benefit of the doubt and decide for myself. Sadly most of the reviews are true.
When we arrived I went to check in and make sure the room was suitable for my husband to access and he is recovering from bilateral knee replacements and is about to undergo bilateral hip replacements. So walking and climbing stairs is a hugh problem. I was told that there were no lifts so I had requested a ground floor room as close to the hotel entrance and dining room as possible. The guy on reception told me the room allocated for us was on the 2nd floor which was up 4 flights of stairs. I explained there was no way my husband could get to the room and we really needed a ground floor room as requested. He told me the hotel was fully booked and that everyone had already checked in. I apologised and said that I hated to appear to be complaining but if they could not give us a ground floor room we would have to leave. At that point the manager took over and found us a room (102) on the ground floor. I did ask him if we could have room 3 as this was closer and easier for my husband to get to, which I had requested but he said the people had already checked in. I later found this to be a lie as on my second trip collecting our luggage from the car (no offer of help was given from the staff) I saw the poeple checking in and then going into room 3!!
On entering room 102 the smell of dogs and the heat hit us. The room was boiling. I immediately turned the radiator off and opened the door, which opened out onto the back gardens. The carpet was stained and there was paper and a bottle top left on the floor. The room was not very clean whatsoever. It is in badly need of refurbishment. The bed was 2 single beds pushed together. My half of the bed was comfortable but my husbands bed was in need of being replaced as the springs had gone in it. The room was very basic. There was no biscuits provided and very limited tea/coffee/sugar. The bathroom was very dated with only a bottle of soap/shampoo on the side and half a roll of toilet roll. We had been left only one towel with no bath mat. When I called reception they did send housekeeping with another towel immediately. The bed sheets did look clean - if they had not have been, I would have checked out immediately. On a plus side the water was boiling hot and the televison was a small flat screen but had all the free view channels and it had a good picture. At least our room was warm, as after reading some of the reviews I noted that people have compained being cold.
My husband and I were going to book and have dinner, but we decided against doing so as we were worried about the cleanliness after seeing the room. Not only that, the menu was limited and overpriced. However our breakfast was not bad. It was served up on a very hot plate and even though the waitress brought our cooked breakfast before we had finished eating our cereal, there were no real issues. The staff were friendly and helpful , just very young and inexperienced.
The hotel is in a wonderful location and could be made to be lovely. The log fire as you walk through the door is very welcoming however reception is not easily established so at first you walk to the lounge area and even though many people do this and the reception staff can see you, they do not make an effort to greet you. However when I spoke to the guy on reception and asked if he could ask the housekeeping to make sure our room was given an extra clean they had tried to do so.
Another plus side is that if you want a very, very basic hotel, with a room on the gound floor that opens up onto peaceful, quiet gardens and to be able to take dogs and love walking, you cannot go wrong so long as you get a good rate. If we had paid anymore then what we had, then we would have been more dissapointed then we were. Luckily we had another stay booked at another hotel in the New Forest on the same Buy a Gift deal which was absolutely faboulous. It was chalk and cheese for the same money.
My husband and I wont be staying again at this hotel unless of course it is refurbished.

Room Tip: Not sure what to say but if you have a dog or diasabled choose a ground floor room and make sure it...
3 Thank Julie081
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Staff were initially helpful but on checkout we had one lady in the office who would act as if we went there making rude remarks.

On arrival our room was not a standard double as promised. Just two beds in a shoddy attempt to be one. The carpet was stained , cups dirty and no soap. To buy soap you had to pay 5.95 for a toiletry set.

Breakfast is cold and cheap. The mushrooms swam in grease, a poached egg sat in a pool of water and the sausage was like something you would pick up at a newsagents.

Staff were great, perhaps compensating for the tired interior. Forest Park is certainly not worth the price they ask.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank ellis77manior
Maidstone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Staff were very helpful,but most other things were well below average,dirty cups at breakfast twice,stone cold breakfast on day of departure,27/02/13 sent it back.Had room no1 a disabled room as I had damaged my knee and was not able to climb the stairs,walk in shower all rusty and tatty,net curtains a disgrace,no central heating,water tepid,large sash window left open by cleaning staff,wifes jewellery box in drobe,so anyone could have climbed in and helped themselves,manager was put out that I even mentioned it.What a shame the owners are too blinkered to realise that knocking £25 off the bill is not what guests want, we were visiting an ill relative,really needed to be warm and cosy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS TO THE STAFF FOR TRYING TO DO THEIR JOB WITH NO HELP FROM THE PARENT COMPANY.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank stephen L
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Spent 2 nights at this hotel from 22-24.2.13. Great location in the heart of the new forest. 15 minute walk to the centre of Brockenhurst. Booked via the web site – paid in advance for bed breakfast & two course dinner. Arrived at around 2.00 p.m. on Friday. Given key to room. On enquiring about booking for dinner were advised to book a time as the hotel was busy. Room functional. Old furnishings, carpets etc, but clean. Room was lit by 6 wall lights – no central ceiling light. Two of the light bulbs were not working, further reducing lighting in room. A lack of basic housekeeping on the part of the person making up the rooms. Went straight out after dropping bags to take advantage of dry weather to walk in the new forest. Returned to hotel to find that room was very cold and the tiny radiator was barely warm. Went to report this at reception to find another couple complaining that their room was also cold. Was told by the young man on the front desk that they were having problems with the boiler and someone was trying to repair it. We were not informed of this on check in, as we really should have been. I therefore asked to be provided with a heater and blankets (there were no spare blankets or pillows in the room). A small fan heater and three blankets were eventually provided. My partner was brave enough to try and have a shower only to find that the water was only tepid.

We had booked for dinner @ 8.00 and went down to the bar to have drinks before dinner. I ordered a vodka but was told there was no vodka. A lack of basic stock management on behalf of bar manager. I asked for a bottle of white wine and was presented with a bottle of wine from behind the bar. On enquiring if this was the only white wine available was told that this was the only full bottle available as all the other bottles had some poured out of them. I then asked if there was a wine list. The barmaid had to go to the office to ask as she did not know what I meant by wine list. She returned with a list containing two choices of bottles of white wine. I chose the viognier @ a very expensive £21.95.

We then went in for dinner. There were four other diners, six diners in total. (Three couples). Limited menu - 3 starters / 3 mains (one with a £5 supplement) / 3 puddings.Our orders were taken and after nearly 40 minutes, and after the couple who arrived after us had been served, I went to ask where our meals were. I was eventually given the explanation that our food was being prepared, but had been delayed because ‘chef had to cook rice’ as if cooking rice was out of the ordinary and required some considerable cooking time. I spoke to someone in the hotel office who, when asked, confirmed that he ran the hotel. I raised the matters of the lack of heat, lack of information about the boiler being broken, etc. with this person who responded by advising me ‘I’ve only been here three days’ as if this excused his responsibility for the bad service etc. We had not ordered, but were eventually presented with two places of chilli con carne and rice! These were not our meals so were taken away and I assume given to the correct diners who i assume were sitting in the bar. Our food eventually arrived after a wait of nearly an hour. It had taken this long to prepare a meal of meat & two veg with gravy. The food on both nights was very average. A typical week-night family meal. Not the sort of food one hopes to have in a hotel on a weekend away from home! Puddings were of the ‘mum’s been to Iceland’ variety. Service in the dining room on the 2nd evening was better. There were only four people eating as opposed to the six the night before.

On checking out we were presented with a bill for the accommodation, meals & bar bill. We had to remind reception staff that we had already pre-paid for the accommodation and meals. This was checked and confirmed. Our bill was recalculated but contained a charge for an additional meal which we had not had. The bill had to be prepared three times before it was correct. The lady on the front desk apologised but the lady preparing the bills did not, in fact she seemed quite annoyed that we were querying the bill!

I would recommend staying in Brockenhurst, a great location for the new forest and the keyhaven nature reserve, but would not recommend the Forest Park Hotel. Basil Fawlty is alive and well and running the Forest Park Hotel.

4 Thank Dawn A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley
4.5 of 5 stars 138 reviews

Been to Forest Park Hotel? Share your experiences!