“Fabulous”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
london
“Fabulous”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We have now added the Filly to one of our local fav eateries in the forest where many fall well short.The food is of a good standard.The staff attentive and the manager steve goes out of his way to ensure you have a nice meal.I like the wooden boards!! and find it amusing that some dont!..you don't have to eat there !..we like the quality..the attention to service ..they were so busy today but the food was delivered in good time and we were kept well informed with attentive staff.
so in summary..go there ..its a nice family pub and the food quality is excellent

Berkshire
“Looking forward to a return visit”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

What a lovely find the Filly Inn was. The staff are friendly, welcoming and attentive with speedy service, even though it was very busy as it was a Sunday lunchtime. The food was good quality, hot & tasty. We were given a 10% off loyalty card which we plan to use often as we visit the New Forest at least twice a month. We'll done for getting it so right!!

Roscrea
“Ask for a plate...”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Wooden chopping boards might look great for fancy (some may say pretentious?) food photography, but in my opinion they are totally impractical for eating a meal from. The edges of a plate curve upwards for a reason. So my biggest piece of advice for eating here would be to check that your meal will be served on a plate. Not the type of question normally needed, I know, but there you have it.
I gave up trying to keep my food on the chopping board, and resigned myself to the fact that some of my meal may as well be eaten off the table too, as that is where it ended up. I am normally quite capable of eating my food in a perfectly civilised fashion. All I can say is thank goodness I wasn't served peas or a dish with gravy :-)
I can be a bit of clean freak when it comes to food, and in addition to the practicality of eating off a flat wooden chopping board, I would wonder just how well it can be cleaned in between meals/customers?

I used to live in the forest, and up until I moved away 10 or so years ago I would have been a reasonably regular visitor to the Filly, both for food and also just for social drinks. It always used to be a good, honest forest pub, serving good, honest food...and doing it well. This was my first visit in years and I felt overwhelmingly that the Filly is no longer quite sure what it is? Its not quite a forest/country pub anymore, and its not quite a gastro pub (if that IS what it is trying to be?)

The staff were friendly, the drinks were ok, and the food was OK....the chopping board was an annoyance, and when I mentioned it to the waitress, she told me that some people like it, and some people don't and just suggested I make sure to ask for a plate next time. Here's another suggestion - listen to the customers who have gone to the bother of expressing to you the fact that fact that they DON'T like it, (I would imagine that many others will likely have just kept quiet) and serve the dish on a plate!

We probably would stop in again if we were passing, or walking nearby, and wanted a bite to eat, but if the food came out of the kitchen on a wooden chopping board it would be sent straight back!

chandlers ford
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Best Roast Beef”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We reserved the Garden Room for a large party and had a wonderful time. The service was excellent and the food fantastic. My husband reckons it was some of the best roast beef he'd ever eaten at a pub for sunday lunch. We were a mixed group of all ages and everyone was catered for and considered, even so much as drawing for the kids without us asking and a water bowl available for dogs. Thank you Steve and team for all your help it was greatly appreciated, we'll be back Cheers The New Forest Dub Club :-)

1 Thank sue_ramage
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Good food??”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I had often passed The Filly and thought I looked nice and it is ideal in situation but sadly lacking in quality of service and food.

I arranged to meet a friend for lunch having booked a table. The staff were attentive enough but at the time the Inn was virtually empty so there was little else for them to do. we ordered drinks and food which arrived promptly enough, my 'Chilli' was OK but not a chilli in the sense that it should be spicy and it was accompanied by gristly meat. I didn't complain at the time, as I am not one to cause a fuss I just ate it, it being palatable but far from being a 'chilli'. This really is incidental to my main concern that after the meal and having paid the bill my friend and I sat and talked awhile, when we got up to leave we were confronted by a member of staff who accused me of trying to 'do a runner' i.e. leave without paying, I was embarrassed by this but was offered no apology after it was proved that I had paid. Surely such an establishment should be able to keep track of these things and illustrates a certain regretable incompetence. Needless to say I wont be visiting again!

• Visited December 2013