“Great Family Holiday”

Widemouth Bay Caravan Park
Ranked #23 of 35 Specialty Lodging in Bude
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We have just returned from Widemouth Bay today after 4 nights at the park! We had a great time we are a family of four with both kids under 6! We booked the caravan last month and couldnt complain at all everything was as we would have wanted! On arrival our DVD player wouldnt work & the milk holder on the fridge door was broken! On phoning reception we were quickly attended on and we had brand new replacements straight out of the box within 10 minutes!
The park was great the kids loved the swimming pool, play area, arcade & crazy golf! The foxy club was perfect and they loved the kids meals!

All in all very happy and will look to return for another short break next year! Just got to hope for some Sun!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jamie E
Patrick J, Guest Relations Manager at Widemouth Bay Caravan Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review.

Your comments have been passed on to all departments, especially the housekeeping team, who will be delighted to hear your thoughts.

We really hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had for the first time a 'Sun holiday' and stayed in the caravan park from Friday to Monday. We found the caravan nice and clean with somewhat gaudy bed linen. Everything we needed for a cheap break. There was a camp shop, which was pretty expensive but not so different to a corner shop back home, for forgotten items. The entertainment was as expected for a seaside camp site, we enjoyed it as it was only for a few nights and we had no intention of travelling far for entertainment as it was a relaxing break. The staff were extremely friendly and it was lovely to see staff cleaning the areas around the site of any rubbish, on a regular basis. We loved Bude and Widemouth bay beaches and found the camp site in a very good location for lovely coastal walks.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathleen D
Patrick J, Guest Relations Manager at Widemouth Bay Caravan Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review.

We really hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Booked through The Sun voucher scheme, total cost was £39 + an added later fee of £22 Summer booking fee !!! & also a £23 service charge !! so total cost = £84 for 3 nights for 2 people... without linen or entertainment passes. Added supplements were a bit iffy but there you go, they always claw a bit back. Gold Caravan was very nice, swimming pool basic, entertainment a bit dodgy.. why is the music always stuck in the 80/90's?? Didn't eat on-site, looked ok tho, if you like that sort of thing. Car needed. Bar person poured a wrong drink and wouldn't take it back, cost me £3.30ish.. left a bit of a bad taste but just meant we didn't use club house again.. their loss.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Patrick J, Guest Relations Manager at Widemouth Bay Caravan Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such a fair review.

Your comments have been passed on to all departments and our housekeeping team will be especially delighted to read your comments.

We really hope to see you again in the near future

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We booked to go here after staying at the John Fowler caravan park in Looe in May. The caravan we had in Looe was a 3 bedroom Poppy bronze. It was old but very clean and very well looked after. Following this we decided to book aoppy bronze caravan in Widemouth Bay as the brochure said "overlooking the sea".

I have to say I was very dissapointed. On arrival the caravan was very dirty on the outside and very rundown on the inside. I decided to overlook this and enjoy my holiday as this would only be a base. When I tried to light the cooker there was no ignition button but I thought a quick visit to reception and they would provide me with an ignitor and also part of the door on the fridge was missing where I would normally keep my milk. Again, I chose to overlook this minor detail. Then I went to make the beds to discover there was blood all over one of the single duvets. At this point I could no longer overlook the cleanliness of this caravan. I went to complain and to be fair I was provided with a new duvet and a new fridge very quickly but I think these things, especially the duvet should have been spotted before we were given the keys. I was also told I would need to buy a box of matches to light my cooker. Considering I had paid £650 for the privelage of staying in this shabby caravan I was not happy. The man who I spoke to was very nice but he had limited resources to work with.

The entertainment area was light and airy although we didnt take a lot of notice of the entertainment. The bar prices were very high in my opinion, £17 for 2 vodkas and 2 lagers.

The pool was lovely although the changing rooms were tiny and there were no showers. The Celtic supporting lifeguard was brilliant.

Widemouth bay and bude were lovely.

Then we get to the "overlooking the sea" description. I think this is possibly a case for the trading standards as this is definately misleading to consumers. We could see no sea from our caravan of from anywhere on site. Had they advertised it saying overlooking beautiful rolling hills that would have been correct, but there was no "overlooking the sea". If you want to overlook the sea as I did, try Widemouth bay holiday village, the scenery there is beautiful. The accomodation is in chalets and it is a very friendly park and the bar prices are a lot cheaper.

We were in caravans 107 & 108 and I would not recommend them. They were very shabby. They were also some of the urthest away from all the entertainment and park although this wasnt really an issue as the kids enjoyed the freedom of being able to go the park.

Room Tip: Dont choose 107 or 108.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank gwenu21
Patrick J, Guest Relations Manager at Widemouth Bay Caravan Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

I was saddened to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park. However, we do not ignore negative reviews and your remarks are being passed on to the park manager so that improvements may be made in the interest of future guests.

I find your observations about "overlooking the sea" rather odd. The upper reaches of the park certainly have glorious views. Admittedly not all caravans have a sea view, but many do.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We booked through hoseasons a primula silver caravan. We went from the 13 th August for 7 nights. Widemouth Bay is beautitul and we shall go back to the area but not this site. On arrival we were given our keys to number 71, the site is well maintained, the staff fairly friendly. The caravan itself was awful, it was so outdated and extremely tatty. It smelt musty, the seating area ripped, carpet ripped and lino in kitchen ripped. Every time you pulled the curtains they fell off and the bathroom, even after cleaning from myself, smelt of urine. The grill didn't work but after reporting this twice it was eventually fixed. The best thing about this site it the pool and the lifegaurds, this was well maintained and the lifegaurds very friendly. Will not be going back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Kate H

It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park when most reviews paint a totally different picture.

I feel sure that many people reading your review would find it difficult to believe you did not tell the management of your displeasure while you were there and insist to be moved elsewhere.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Last minute stay. Booked through hoseasons. Caravan was spotless and spacious. The pool is basic as are the changing rooms but the lifeguard was lovely, giving us surfing tips! The entertainment team work hard with the space and facilities they have, our kids liked them. The adult entertainment we saw was <<ok>>. The place is hilly, no two ways about it. We were so worn out we took the car to the shop on site! Eating out? Book the widemouth manor or essentials Italian. Both beautiful. Bodyboarding? Black rock cafe hires suits and boards by the hour (most others half day minimum) surf when the tides out otherwise very stoney.

• Stayed: August 2012
Patrick J, Guest Relations Manager at Widemouth Bay Caravan Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such a fair review.

Naturally, wherever there is wonderful scenery, there are hills. The two are inseparable, I'm afraid. I am sorry you experienced the negative side of that

We really hope to see you again in the near future

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed here in July 2012 weather was not the best but the very clean gold caravan an site more than made up for it the location is key if you looking to get out an about in north Cornwall. Only had one issue which we couldn't fix up the baby travel cot (are own doing) this was IMMEDIATELY delt with by the staff who as I remember where very polite an helpfull will return. Another top John fowler holiday(discount on next one please) ;-)

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Michael E
Patrick J, Guest Relations Manager at Widemouth Bay Caravan Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

What a wonderful review, thank you, we really appreciate it.

Your praise will mean so much to the management and staff at the park. They all work extremely hard to make everyone’s stay enjoyable.

We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bude
Tommy Jacks Beach Hotel
Sandymouth Holiday Resort
Hebasca
Hebasca
#1 of 9 in Bude

Been to Widemouth Bay Caravan Park? Share your experiences!