“Cosy and comfy”
Review of Atlantic Surf Pods

Atlantic Surf Pods
Ranked #25 of 35 Specialty Lodging in Bude
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Booked a pod as a way to extend a trip for work near Exeter at the start of October. My teenage daughter & I loved it, it really was like being on the Telly Tubby set! Our pod was spacious and clean, the underfloor heating kept it very cosy (until my daughter plugged in her phone charger) and we loved the luxury touches like having proper china plates. We were blessed with fantastic weather and walked down into Bude to stretch our legs on the beach. As Joanna T found, it was quiet but having said that it was out of season so to be honest we didn't expect anyone there at all. There was one other group in the pods and some people camping. We saw the owner briefly when he walked round to ask how we were getting on and he was very helpful when our gas cannister ran out on the BBQ. I would agree with the reviewer who suggested that a book of helpful information would be handy and perhaps a map or directions to walk into Bude as we were unsure of the way and ended up on the main road whereas the Tourist Info Centre gave us great directions for a more rural way back. Would love to come back again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank orangeblossom_8

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The camping pods are lovely, a real novelty - like staying in Hobbiton with round huts and rolling landscaped hills. My friends and I especially enjoyed the big beanbags which you could drag out onto the grass and laze about on and the barbecues that worked were great.

However the overall atmosphere of the place was rather creepy - deserted when we arrived with definite horror movie vibe. There is a strange garden centre graveyard and lots of disused farm equipment lying about.

We booked of course but it felt like we weren't expected as the owner was awol and the assistant who we eventually found, although friendly, didn't seem to know anything about our booking. The pod I was in didn't seem as clean as I would expect and a few things were missing that were said to be provided. The communal seating area was covered in cobwebs and cat hair which was a bit of a shame. I would have appreciated the under floor heating being switched on after my friend and I requested it but unfortunately the owner failed to do this.

That being said, the positives far outweighed the negatives! The pods really were unique, with mega comfy beds and attractive wood art. More than enough room for 2 in a pod, very luxurious especially with hot showers. The place already looks lovely but in a few years will be even more special when the saplings start to grow into trees, it'll be like a magical woodland.

My only gripe is the service - I expect a certain level when I pay to stay somewhere and it's not like this is your bog-standard campsite, it's a step up from that. Greeting your guests and making them feel welcome on arrival is surely a basic in hospitality! And the owner didn't really redeem himself after that failure. Perhaps teething problems but it would be great if the look and feel of the pods could be matched in all areas of this site.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We had a brilliant stay at the Surf Pods earlier this week. The owners were most accommodating to our toddler and we felt welcomed. The pod was gorgous – like a sylish hotel room really with everything you needed - including a USB port to charge your iPhone! The bed was super comfy (and it even had a pull out toddler bed which was underneath and perfect for my little girl) and it was great fun to be woken up by sheep, donkeys and cockerels the next morning! The BBQ was first class and my husband now wants one. The place is just great and exactly how it looks on the website – like Telly Tubby land! We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights from the 9th September during part of our engagement holiday of the South West. The pods are in a great location. 5 mins from Bude, 10 mins or so from Widemouth Bay. We loved that the only electricity was usb plugs to charge your phone etc. We the lantern provided enough light inside the pod in the evening. The pod was lovely and cosy underflour heating to keep it warm. Cosy comfortable double bed. Big bean bags to laze about outside and table and chairs just outside the pod along with gas bbq. All the crockery provided was good quality no need to take your own. Communal shower/bath and toilet hut was modern and lovely if you couldnt bare to brave the wet room/toilet next to yout own pod. My fiancé did and said he had warm water. You are on a farm so dont be surprised by animal noises in the morning! Honesty farm shop stocked a variety of things and food. We had been to the morrisions in Bude for a few bits...try the butchers in Bude - lovely meat from there as well as veg, cheese and other cornish local foods. I would recommend to the owners to provide a welcome book with a bit of information in like; if the usb is on the under floor heating isnt vice versa and how to change it around?? Also a few hooks and shelves in the pods. Theres washing machines near the communal bathroom if staying for longer and communal sink and big dining area if you feel like chatting to the other glampers! We would recommend to head to Widemouth Bay to a fish and chip eat in or takeaway called Beach House. Fresh caught fish that day is the special if you dont stick to cod and chips! Lovely watching the sunset and the surfers. Finally friendly helpful staff.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We have just come back from a weekend here and I would reccommend it to all! The Pods are great, really warm and cozy, location stunning, service really attentive and even though it rained most of our stay we had a brilliant time! Will be back next year for sure!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights in these gorgeous pods! They have everything you need for a short break, comfortable bed, two towels, all the utensils needed to cook and have meals from the bbq, quality crockery. All the staff were helpful and friendly. The location is perfect 5 min drive from Bude, we took our bikes which took max 15 min ride to the beach a slight incline on the way back but doable. Will be thinking of our next stay and hopefully will bring a few friends!!! Highly recommended!!!!!
One recommendation for the owner is to have a two hooks in the pod to hang the towels

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank T S
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My boyfriend booked these pods as a surprise for my birthday, what a lovely surprise they were! The little hobbit houses are so cute and the landscaped gardens are lovely. We were very lucky with the weather and had the opportunity to enjoy the landscaped gardens and Alfresco dining on the large BBQ.The pod has everything you need with a really comfy memory foam matress bed for a good nights sleep. All the staff were friendly and helpful too. We would love to go back again soon.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple