“Great location and lovely atmosphere”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bude
Cerenety Eco Camping
Ranked #6 of 35 Specialty Lodging in Bude
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was sent to Bude for a week on business and, despite, being offered a B&B or Hotel, said that I would rather Camp. Cerenety's rates are very reasonable indeed, prices that you don't often see in the UK anymore. For myself and my small campervan it was just £10 a night which I can't fault. I like the continental style of charging, where you pay per person, per tent and per car - it makes sense. Other UK campsites could learn a lot from this!

On arrival at the site I was struck by the great view. There are two fields, a higher field and a lower field with a fenced track in between that leads to the owner's house down the middle. Access to the site is good, just off the main road to Bude up a pleasant country lane. This lane also needs to the canal, but more on that later...

The owner and her sister offered a warm welcom, welcoming us to the site and letting us pick our pitch. The two fields sit on the sheltered hillside behind mature hedgerows and camping is sensibly restricted to the outer edges of the fields. This means that the ground you camp on is flat and as nobody will camp in front of you, your view is never restricted!

Don't be put off by the composting toilets - the facilities are cleaned everyday and the nature of using the toilet is like any other loo, except you throw sawdust down it rather than wasting water! As a seasoned European camper I always have loo roll with me so take some along. Another great feature of the facilities was the washing up sink, so often overlooked at UK sites. The owners willingness to allow campfires is a bonus and a sheltered picnic area is also available.

The showers are solar showers and rely on energy from the sun to heat the water. The week I spent at the site it was cloudy and wet for about 3 days, yet the sowers never dipped below 28oC and peaked at 41oC. I was pretty impressed by the efficiency of them.

For me, this is camping as it should be: a field and a loo. It's all I really want. The great view was a spectacular bonus, being able to sit on my bed and watch the fireworks at the end of lifeboat week was really special.

Cerenety is a short walk from town - as I say this was a working holiday and my 'commute' to work in Bude everyday was a pleasant twenty minute walk down the canal.

A twenty minute walk from the site will take you to the Quayside and beaches, Sainsbury's and a 40 minute walk in the other direction over the fields takes you to Widemouth. It's the ideal location to explore the area.

I'd happily stay at Cerenety again and would recommend it for back-to-basics camping the way it should be. No fuss, no complications, just great views, a great location and a warm welcome.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Fieldmouse2cv
There are newer reviews for Cerenety Eco Camping

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Lovely little eco campsite, friendly welcome, gorgeous rescue animals, warm solar heated showers, clean compost toilets and great relaxed atmosphere.
This year we stayed in the barn accommodation, which was very cosy and good value for money. Nice to hear our neeeigh-bourly horse munching on hay next door, not so nice to be woken by the cockerel at 5am- but to be expected when sleeping in the country!
Nice scenic walk into town along the canal towpath, and a special mention to the cute little sheep who came trotting up to me like a friendly dog.
Will definitely be staying here again next year.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank veganboarder
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Me and some friends have stayed on this site a couple of times now. It's a cool Eco site with solar showers and there has always been plenty of hot water :-) You can feed the animals and it's in a great location with Bude town centre not too far away. Good value for money and you can purchase fire wood from the site and get a camp fire going. Definitely recommend this site and will be stayin there again next year.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank juicy1453
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Cerenety is an eco campsite about 15-20 minutes walk from Bude center. It's down a narrow muddy lane from the main road. When you first pull into the site you have a choice of two fields, one on the left and one on the right. Members of my group were already in the right field so we drove into this and set up camp next to them.

The site was on quite a slope which isn't ideal for camping, in fact all weekend we struggled with things sliding off tables, sausages rolling off BBQs etc.

Some members of our group didn't fancy camping an arranged separately with the site to rent the barn accommodation on the site. On the first evening of our arrival a number of us walked over to the barn (in the next field near the reception) to check out where our friends were staying. The barn was very close to the animals kept on site and a group of people, a few of us with beer bottle, was a little too much for one of the owners who came out and started telling us off for being there. None of us can really remember exactly how it happened but the lady came out saying how she needed to "protect her animals". I'd like to point out that her animals were in no danger from us and we weren't interfering with them in anyway. This episode, I suspect, started a bad relationship with the owners.

The site is run down, I've been to several eco sites before which were all far better kept than this one. The grass was long. The path to the toilet was made unnecessarily long by the presence of two fences separating the two main fields. Forcing everyone to use this one path also caused it to erode and be much muddier than if we could all have walked in a direct line to the toilets. The toilets themselves were in an old wooden stable set in a small dell. This meant that the immediate approach was again very muddy. There were a few broken paving slabs to use as stepping stones but as there was no lighting it was something of a task to avoid getting muddy on your trip to the loo. This, of course, led to the toilet block being quite muddy. The 'hot' water is provided by solar panels on the roof of the toilet block so you were lucky to get anything better than luke warm. The toilets themselves were standard eco toilet fare although perhaps could've been deeper to avoid you getting quite so close to their contents. The toilet block also had no working light, which is not particularly helpful. On our final night some fault, apparently a flood, although we never saw evidence of this, caused all the water in the toilet block to be switched off. Not great, luckily we had some in a container and were able to clean our teeth and have enough for a drink first think in the morning.

Another downside, and frustratingly one reported on this site two years ago, is that it's still a big effort to get your car out of the field if it has been raining. Immediately before a narrow gateway is a very muddle patch and something of a slope. It's hard enough to get speed up on wet grass on an uphill, but then you have to aim at such a narrow opening before hitting the brakes as it's a blind bend on the other side of the gate! Apparently they have anti slip mats, but they must keep those hidden somewhere. As a veteran of Glastonbury I know that throwing some hay or wood chippings down could easily resolve this problem in the short term (and all the other mud related problems). Alternatively a little drainage, gravel or other solutions could fix it long term.

Most of these short falls could probably have been overlooked if we weren't paying in excess of £20 per night for a tent with 2 adults and a car.

The final insult came when we took to pay. Several of our party had tried to pay, but the owners insisted we pay en mass as that was how we'd booked. So we went to pay and were just about done doing so with one of the owners when the other appeared and she then had a problem with all our party leaving after just two nights. This was the August Bank Holiday and we'd had an email conversation when booking saying that weren't sure exactly of our intentions and some would be staying 3 nights and some 2. In the end we all wanted to leave after 2. She then proceeded to tell us off like we were school children and said how cheeky we were. After hearing this for the second time we pointed out that we'd been disappointed with the site and that it had failed to meet our expectations, at this she wandered off, we paid, and returned to our camp.

As part of our decamping we had to cook and eat. With everything else done (tent downed, and car packed) the final four of our group cook and began to eat. At this point the other owner, the one we'd paid and had so far been polite, decided to come and have another go at us.

"You don't like our site, but you're still here", she said, "Don't you think that's a bit cheeky of us". My usually polite friends then surprised me by returning fire and venting their spleens about all the short comings of the site. What I fail to understand is what she was trying to achieve here and she wasn't asking us to leave. Also their FAQ makes it clear there is no check-out time and you can leave when you wish.

Once she left us alone, we quickly finished and left feeling very angry.

Overall, the friendliness others have reported was missing all weekend. The attitude and manners of bother owners needs some adjustment. Instead of muttering of protecting her animals why hadn't the first own introduced herself acted as the host she claims to be. Instead of telling us off for wanted to leave after two nights, maybe should could remember her website's claims of a relaxed atmosphere. We might even have felt bad about going a day early if we didn't feel that the price they wanted for two days already more than covered the value of the site for three days.

The site isn't all bad. It's close to Bude, close to the canal for nice walks. Apparently they offered food and drinks, although I had no idea of this as it's not advertised onsite. The animals are probably nice for kids too (although personally I could do without a cockerel alarm clock before 7am every morning). You were also allowed camp fires and they sold wood cheaply for this purpose. The flexibility they had initially shown was also welcoming even if it was later replaced with hostility. Recycling facilities were also provided.

With a little effort and love and attention the women who run/own this site could have something very nice. The hill will always be a problem I suppose without major landscaping, but that wasn't our biggest complaint. Personally this is one to avoid, eco doesn't mean ill maintained. Your own experience may prove different.

6  Thank moonpie79
jake m, Co-Owner at Cerenety Eco Camping, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Moonpie79, I’m very sorry to hear about your bad experience. It was truly never our intention. We appreciate your feedback and hope that this will go some way to putting it right.

It is very unusual for owners or employees to be labelled rude at Cerenety and we usually pride ourselves in going out of our way to help our visitors. It was the only time we have had campers drinking unsupervised around our rescue animals in the yard, and so I imagine that some people became slightly overprotective at the sight of this. I apologize for any rudeness displayed during this time. Perhaps if any of your party could remember more of what happened that night we may be able to address the issue properly.

I’m pleased that you liked the location, recycling facilities and the campfires. We generally pitch people at the flat areas at the top of the hill to provide them with a dry site and a great view. I’m sorry that you thought Cerenety run down, we aim for back-to-basics camping with a countryside feel.

I hope that in future you enjoy your holiday and find a campsite more to your liking.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

As much as it pains me to write a bad review, I really do feel that in the case of Cerenety Eco Camping, the public will be better served by my experience and why this campsite (unless it makes drastic improvements) should be avoided.

1) At £10 per person per night, Cerenety Eco Camping is exceptionally poor value for money, it is frustrating when something as simple as camping you end up with charging system that extorts money for every little thing you bring. While I realise that I visited in high season and in a popular part of the country, the charge cannot be justified for the facilities provided, this is a £5 per person per night site at most considering the VERY basic facilities.

2) Very poor facilities. In principle I am all in favour of Eco Camping, being sustainable etc however I do not accept that Eco has to mean putting up with bad facilities, I have stayed at Eco Campsites around the UK (including a week at the Centre for Alternative Energy), most of which have been brilliant, and have not felt like I have had to sacrifice the 'luxury' of a non-eco campsite.
At Cerenety the showers were cold (testimony from my partner), water was turned off at night (we can only presume to save on water rates), and the paths were very muddy.
I appreciate that bad weather does not help with the mud situation, but where you have facilities it would not have taken much thought to have at least put a plank of wood/gravel/paving slabs down next to the showers and toilets. Only 1 toilet roll was provided for the entire site, the pitches were on a muddy slope of uncut grass. For the money I would have expected much more, e.g. better maintained facilities, perhaps a petting zoo, information about what makes the site ecologically sound, and a shop where you could buy produce from the land etc

3) Ok, something positive: Although the Site owners were somewhat cold and unwelcoming the volunteers were friendly and reasonably welcoming. I certainly appreciated being able to have a camp fire and relatively few rules, something that is all too missing in todays paranoid, insurance based society.

4) Conclusion
While I welcome the relaxed attitude to camp fires, and the attempt at ecologically sound practice, I feel the site was very poor value, given that the facilities were so run down, and that the camp owners were unfriendly. £10 pppn for camping on a muddy slope of uncut grass with unfriendly owners and ramshackle facilities is not worth it, Avoid.

3  Thank csduque
jake m, Co-owner at Cerenety Eco Camping, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear csduque I believe you are part of the same group who posted our only other two bad reviews. The same applies to you as I wrote to them. I am sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your time at Cerenety.

As for ‘value for money’. We usually find ourselves quite competitive compared to other campsites in the area. If we are not the very cheapest it is because we never pack people in, hoping to create a more relaxed and uncrowded holiday for our visitors.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

The ground is on a steep angle, so not great for tents and particularly not good for cars trying to get out of the site.

The facilities are basic, no toilet roll etc, we were very disappointed that the water was turned off at night, so we couldn't even wash our hands once it was dark.

Owners made paying very complicated and were very rude right from the beginning of the holiday.

We stuck it out for 3 days but ended up leaving early, even though we were sad to cut a break from work short, we were relived to be away from this campsite.

Our group has camped together for years in places with fewer amenities than this all over the country and the world and have never had an experience like this place. It may have even put some of us off camping altogether!

6  Thank kirsty_macinnes

Dear Kirsty, I believe you are part of the same group who posted our other two bad reviews. The same applies to you as I wrote to them. I am sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your time at Cerenety.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed for just one night after a trip down to St Just. Lovely little camp site, on a slope so get there early to get a flat bit up the top. Although I don't know how many pitches there are so it may be just on the flat anyway. It was such a rainy weekend we had the whole field with just one other camper :)

Warm welcome at the bungalow at the bottom, made all the more special by the lovely dog who likes to play catch.

The compost loos were great, all clean and not smelly (just in case you were wondering) Didn't have a shower but all looked clean and well organised.

Easy walk into Bude along the canal tow path but on our rainy return the road was flooded and we had to wade therough - unusual occurance I think.

The rain stopped in the evening and the lovely campsite lady bought us a barrow load of wood so we could have a fire. We sat in the dark, gazing at the twinkling lights of Bude over our fire with a bottle or two - just perfect.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Indigo16
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bude
The Cliff Hotel at Bude
#1 of 3 in Poughill
Widemouth Fields
Widemouth Fields
#2 of 4 in Widemouth Bay

Been to Cerenety Eco Camping? Share your experiences!