“Afternoon Geological delight.”
Review of Geoclastica

Geoclastica
Ranked #17 of 43 things to do in Bude
More attraction details
Owner description: Bude Geological Walks are led by Dr Roger Higgs (DPhil Oxon 1986), a consulting geologist who has travelled the world for 25 years (and continues to do so) as a consultant for oil companies. In the 1980s Roger studied the spectacular Bude cliffs for his doctoral thesis, and now chooses to live here, 300 yards from the Atlantic surf, running his one-man consultancy 'Geoclastica Ltd'. Bude Geo-Walks operate all year (except when Roger is called overseas), currently departing on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10am from Bude Tourist Information Centre. These fascinating 2-hour guided strolls along the beach examine Bude’s dramatic cliffs, made of hard sandstone and mudstone beds, zig-zag folded by England colliding with France 300 million years ago, long before dinosaurs existed. Geo-Walkers learn how these beds were first deposited as soft sand and mud in tropical “Lake Bude”, home to Bude’s own unique fossil fish, Cornuboniscus budensis, unique in the world and now on display in Bude Castle Heritage Centre.
Reviewed September 15, 2013

D r. Higgs gave us a super geological experience... 2 hours which flew by! A fantastic condensed history of the world in rocks, their type and structure, grain size., and smell!.. He talked about his finds, and encouraged us to think about the conditions such creatures might be at home in.
The walk itself was not difficult, and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. If you're curious about Geology and why the coast looks as it does, this walk may be for you.

3  Thank Mel D
in 4 reviews
"budding"
"scenery"

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I attended this walk with my 9 year old son. We spent a thoroughly absorbing two hours and learnt so much. Roger is very knowledgeable, engaging and enthusiastic. My son's verdict: the tour was awesome and Roger is cool! I'd recommend this walk to anyone who loves the coast and would like to learn more about their surroundings. You'll never look at rocks in the same way again.

1  Thank Diane906
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Roger Higgs is a great teacher: very knowledgeable, enthusiastic and welcoming of questions. He has the perfect background to introduce people to the geology of Bude, having studied the area in depth for his PhD. I can thoroughly recommend him to anyone who'd like to see the fantastic costal scenery around Bude in a new light.

1  Thank Kevin H
Reviewed June 22, 2013

To be truthfull I am not that interested in Geology - they only reason I was on the Geo-tour was because my Dad had come to visit us in Bude and he really wanted to go. However I throughly enjoyed the tour. Dr Roger Higgs is so passionate and knowledgable about the geology of Bude he can not fail to get your interest. My Dad absolutely loved it too in fact both my husband and Mum did also. We are lucky to have him in Bude and I would recommend the tour to anyone local or visitor and to anyone interested in geology and to those who are not! Thanks Roger for a great morning.

2  Thank AnnieO6