Brendon Arms
  • Restaurant
An Mor(Bude)
Hebasca(Bude)
View Hotel
Beach House B&B(Widemouth Bay)
Widemouth Manor(Widemouth Bay)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe publifeboat housefriday night dinnermackerel saladsteak and ale pieminute walk to the towngenerous portionsbude canalideal locationfront facingthe south west coast pathkipperstwin roomlovely mealout of seasonstayed nightsself catering
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed saturday night. Friendly welcome, had booked a twin room at the back ( quieter) when we booked in we were given a room at the front. not too happy with that, although the room was nice and a lovely view. The en suite was great, plenty of space and really good( although small) shower. One quibble.... no hooks to hang anything on.

Unfortunately when the couple next door booked in we could hear everything, the walls are so thin they could have been in the room with us. Not their fault, purely down to poor soundproofing. I did mention this to a member of staff and she was very good and did offer to move us, but as this was 9pm and we had already used shower etc I didnt think it worth it.

We had a meal in the restaurant , had to wait 50 mins but to be fair we had been warned of a long wait so were prepared. The food when it came was delicious,I had a steak and it was perfect. On quite a few meals you had the option of a smaller portion, brilliant idea for those with smaller appetites.
The whole pub has a really good atmosphere.

Breakfast was ok, I think most of it had been pre cooked and wasnt very hot, but plenty of it and I'm sure they would have blitzed it in the microwave if I had asked. No marmalade. but plenty of jams and butter. Good coffee.

Overall not a bad stay, but would not stay again just because of the noise issue A shame as the staff are great, but next time will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TSalisbury
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Very friendly Staff and Management.

After a while and several stays you'll find you will be treated like a local'ish by those that frequent the bar. I was lucky to stay at this establishment on a regular basis over a two year period.

The quality of the rooms and facilities is rather good for the prices charged.

I cannot comment on the breakfast as I've never partaken, not because of the quality but I just don't eat breakfast.

Richard

Room Tip: Whilst on business try to secure a room over the wifi server as there are rather thick walls through the premises which will block the signal.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Great little hotel/pub, excellent value for money rooms, shower was superb (power), room was very clean and tidy, although the tv was a tad on the small side. breakfast was amazing all from local sourced produced, i did feel the evening meals were a little over priced. Free wi-fi a bonus.
Staff were very courteious and polite at all times.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Good food swiftly served and reasonable priced what more can you want.Lovely traditional pub atmosphere,good range of specials on the blackboard in addition to regular menu,well worth a visit.Would imagine it gets busy in the season but they are happy to take reservations.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2012

On a lovely sunny Saturday evening, during a short stay in Bude, we strolled through the very charming town and came upon The Brendon Arms. Really well postioned, with great views from the sunny front garden down the river/canal that hallmarks this town, plus the sunset - due in a few hours.We got drinks and decided to have some food. We were tired and hungry after setting off from the East Midlands at 4am, and spending the day fishing in Port Gaverne. As soon as I had queued, ordered, and paid for, our meal (burgers, nothing special) a notice was put up saying there was a 45 minute wait for service. Not happy about this, I said so, but was nonetheless reluctant to cancel and start looking again. I rather hoped they were being over generous in their estimate.
They were not being over generous. In fact, our food eventually arrived an hour later. By this time the sun HAD set, and it was cold in the garden. We had been able to find a table inside and the waitress efficiently told the kitchens of the change, without fuss. After a few more drinks to pass the time we were feeling very tired and hungry, as well as a tad woozy!
However, when the food did finally turn up it really was very good. Given we did have just burgers, we were not expecting anything particularly special but, they were delicious. It is rare to say a plain old burger is very tasty but, this one was. My husband also enjoyed his spicy veg burger. Generous portions, freshly cooked (I should think so!), and quality ingredients. The waitress was very good, even though clearly run off her feet.
I accept the pub was very busy, the tables were constantly full and there must have been a few hundred covers done that night. But, an hours wait, without so much as even a bowl of olives to stave off hunger is a bit much. The meals are not especially cheap, either, so I would think the manager could afford to draft in a few extra hands on busy nights - which, given a sunny Saturday in one of the prime locations in Cornwall could be expected.
All in all, not bad. A traditional inn, with above average food, I have to mark it down for the slow service.
I did offer an apology for my grumpy response to the FOH girl, by the way. It was kindly acknowledged, too!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple