“FANTASTIC ANNIVERSARY GETAWAY... Take me back!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Callander
Forest Holidays Strathyre, Scotland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in cabin 16 to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary. Was worried prior to our trip having read a few bad reviews... Oh my goodness I was blown away. The road was badly in need of repair on the way in but well worth the extra time it took to drive down it. The area is beautiful, the walks magical, the cabin (Golden Oak) luxurious and clean with all neccesary equipment, hot tub a dream and staff happy to help and friendly. The local village is also a delight to visit.
I cannot wait to book again and hopefully for a longer stay next time.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank FrankieSellars
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Strathyre, Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for your review following your recent Forest Holidays break at Strathyre. I am so pleased that we exceeded your expectations and that the forest worked its magic for you. The road will be upgraded soon and then I do hope you manage to come and stay for a longer break with us.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was my first time staying at strathyre cabins and I had a really good time the staff were really friendly and helpful, it was very peaceful and relaxing just the break we needed we stayed in cabin 4 and it was very luxurious and the hot tub was excellent and just the way to end a relaxing day.

The General Manager of the Site Emma was very friendly and helpful as were the rest of the staff. I would highly recommend Strathyre for a relaxing break.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review following your recent break at Strathyre. I am pleased to hear that you had a peaceful and relaxing time and that you feel that the team at Strathyre looked after you well. I do hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We had our honeymoon in the Golden Oak cabin at Strathyre at the beginning of May 2013. Firstly THAT road on the way in is unbelievably bad. I was very worried as we had a hire car for the trip and was concerned about damage. For this reason we will not be going back to Strathyre for our anniversary. However we will book another Forest Holidays resort as I have had heard many good reviews from friends.

The cabin was lovely, quite roomy, and the log burner and hot tub were excellent. The place was very clean when we arrived and I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We booked number 16 which overlooks the road, this isn't very private and quite often we ended up chatting to people walking by so if you want privacy book further up the park.

We booked some activities which due to the weather we had to cancel but the refund was quick and Bill who led the activities was a great host, great sense of humour and a fab instructor.

Strathyre Cabins loses a point because of that road, when we phoned a local taxi company they refused to come pick us up because one of the cabs had received too much damage in the past. But gains a point back when sitting outdoors having breakfast you're entertained by deer and in the evening we had a visit from a pine martin (we called him Percy, say hi for us) not counting the numerous birds and other wildlife.

All in all a good stay but Forest Holidays you NEED to fix that road!!!

Room Tip: For privacy choose a cabin at the back, away from the road.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Strathyre, Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

We’re fixing it! Thank you for your kind review and congratulations on your marriage; I am delighted that you chose Forest Holidays for your honeymoon and that you enjoyed your stay with us. The road will be sorted well before your anniversary so you are safe to come back…

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a lovely week in May. We stayed in cabin 33, which was a silver birch cabin. It was probably one of the more secluded cabins so the hot tub overlooked the forest and loch rather than the road. The cabin was finished to a really nice standard and even had a wood burning stove, which was an unexpected delight. The staff all very friendly.

The surrounding area was delightful. With stunning scenery and well marked out walks. We also managed to find some great places to eat. Eat Mohr Fish, is a simply stunning fish and chip shop in the near by town with the fresh fish I have ever tasted. Also The Crags Hotel had very friendly staff, interesting decor with quirky bits like old fashioned scales on the table. We had a wonderful venison tagine there and would highly recommend it to others visiting the area.

So the road leading up to the site is not great, there are pot holes and it does take a little careful driving. But don't let that put you off or overly concern. It is well worth the drive.

We loved it so much we will definitely book with Forest Holidays again.

Room Tip: We found it worthwhile booking the cabin we wanted off the map as recommended by another trip adviso...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fi929
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Strathyre, Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thank you for your review following your recent break with Forest Holidays at Strathyre. It’s great to hear that you were pleased with your cabin and that you enjoyed the setting at Strathyre. There are some good local eateries and pubs and it sounds as if you had no trouble searching them out. Come again soon – the road is being resurfaced shortly so you will notice an improvement.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have been here a number of times, think this is our fifth visit.

Pot holes seem to be getting worse, it takes roughly ten minutes to drive the 1 mile from the end of the road to the centre. Please Forest holidays can you at least try to sort this out, it's getting to the point where if it gets much worse you will start to lose custom as it will be practically impassible.

This time we were in cabin 5 a silver birch.It's a central one so not very private but it's up at the top so you get a nice view of the hlls from the hot tub. It is a bit of a trek to bring up bags and bicycles though.

Cabins are showing their age somewhat. Overall it was fine, but the downstairs bathroom and bedroom had peeling paint and needed redone. Good to see workmen refurbing some of the cabins - did not disturb us at all with their work.

The cabins are spacious enough but don't expect luxury unless you go for a Golden Oak (and even then it's a bit hit or miss on the quality). The key reason to go is for the incredible scenery, walking, cycling and fishing. It is an amazing location yet only an hour or so outside Edinburgh.

As usual we had a great time and it's a wonderful location for families, particularly once the children are in bed and you can relax in the hot tub.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Strathyre, Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you for your review following your recent break at Strathyre. I am pleased that you enjoyed your break, particularly the views from your cabin. Thank you for your feedback and suggestions which we will take on board. As you noticed we are currently refurbishing the cabins and we are keeping a close eye on the road now - it's going to be permanently resurfaced soon. It is always a pleasure to welcome our regular guests and I do hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed in a Silver Birch cabin for a midweek break with my boyfriend to celebrate the end of term at university. Staff were welcoming and friendly, especially forest ranger Jamie, who took us on a fantastic dusk walk. Activities were pre-scheduled which gave the holiday more structure as we could plan around them. The cabins are quite close together but still feel private. Some things to remember: not all cabins have freezers (we brought a ton of icecream only to have to throw most away), bring spare towels as there aren't many there and bring washing up liquid if you don't like to use dishwashers. Overall, a really good trip with loads of great trails for walking and biking.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review following your recent holiday with us at Strathyre. I am pleased you enjoyed your break, I am sure it was well deserved after your studies. The Dusk Walk is a great activity isn’t it and it allows you to see the forest completely differently. Sorry to hear about the ice cream, I hope it didn’t dampen your spirits too much!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Was treated to a cabin break for my birthday by my very thoughtful partner...... Strathyre was chosen as I had never visited Scotland and the area has to now be on my top list of places I love.... It is gorgeous..
We had cabin 9, well positioned and in great repair, clean, tidy and comfortable oh yes so so peaceful.. We had four days here and if I'm honest I could have stayed four weeks I felt terribly relaxed.
The team at Forest Holidays couldn't have been more pleasant all creating the relaxed atmosphere one expects from a break away and such a beautiful location.. Whilst I understand the comments from other reviewers about the road it's not that bad and to be fair putting a new Tarmac through there would spoil the natural countryside... My advice drive very slow after all what's the rush !!
Having the hot tub on the decking of the cabin is a brilliant touch and a treat to while away the evening with a glass of champagne in.. To sum up my first visit and will most definitely not be the last. EXCELLENT....

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul B

Thank you for your kind review following your recent break at Strathyre. What a great birthday present! Clearly the forest has worked its magic on you, you sound very chilled. I’m delighted that you’ve discovered Scotland and Forest Holidays all together and I hope that we will be welcoming you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Callander
Roman Camp Hotel
Drimsynie Estate Holiday Village
Trossachs Holiday Park
Trossachs Holiday Park
#1 of 1 in Aberfoyle

Been to Forest Holidays Strathyre, Scotland? Share your experiences!