“Location and hot tub made the holiday.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Callander
Forest Holidays Strathyre, Scotland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“Location and hot tub made the holiday.”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location, hot tub was amazing. I felt our cabin was "a bit tired" could do with re-vamp. For 6 people we only had 2x2seater couches, there was dining room chairs but they're not for relaxing on. We only had a 3night stay, but we all had a good time. All in all only a few wee moans, but it didn't spoil our fun.

• Stayed March 2013
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Strathyre, Scotland, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Strathyre. I am pleased that you enjoyed your break and we have noted your feedback with regard to the cabin. I hope you will return again soon.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We visited here for the long weekend over Easter, just as we did last year. We stayed in cabin 28 which is the last one in the row, at the end of the site. You have to park on the road below and then carry your stuff up the wooden stairs, so bear this in mind if you have any mobility issues or lots of luggage.

The road, of which much as been said, is worse than last year. I can appreciate all sides of the argument about not driving over quickly and about it being not really that bad, but it is worse than last year and it will never get any better. Given the price you may to stay, it would be nice to think that something could be done to improve it.

The cabin was exactly the same as the one we stayed in last year, but the decor and fittings were slightly more tired. The floor is showing the wear and tear and we didn't feel keen walking about in anything other than shoes - the floor varnish is wearing out and the wood feels very rough in places. The leather sofas were filthy on on one side of the cushion and were also showing a lot of wear and tear. The bedrooms were fine, although the mattresses were rather thin and not very comfortable. The showers and toilet were clean enough, although we struggled with water pressure and temperature in the shower at times.

The cabin was warm enough and you do need the fan to move heat down from the upstairs area, where it can become very hot. The kitchen was clean and well equipped and the cooker in this cabin was at least marked properly, unlike last years, where we had to guess the dials.

I think that this is the sort of place you will love or hate. We like staying in log cabins amidst the woods, but I think we need a better standard of accommodation. The staff seem to try very hard and the Retreat has some good offers on food, which would be worth it, but they seem to have spent money getting that all nice without spending anything on the cabins.

I think if you like being out all day, then you wouldn't mind the state of the cabins so much. However, if you spend more time in there, relaxing, watching the birds and reading the Sunday papers, then you start to notice how tired they are. It's still a lovely place and I think we'll go back, but you have to accept that it's just not the best advert for the Forest Holidays experience.

Room Tip: stayed in 28 (and 25 lst year), think 25 is better option, as it has better access from the car to t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank madamedefarge
Thank you for your review following your Easter break with us. It is always a pleasure to welcome back returning guests and your feedback is very important to us. You will be relieved to hear that we are investing heavily in our cabins this year to improve and upgrade them. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back next year.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Strathyre in December. Really lovely part of the country.

We booked a Silver Birch and it was perfect for what we wanted. The cabin was clean, toasty warm and very well equipped - especially the kitchen.
The bedroom in the loft area was wonderful - lovely comfy bed, nice en-suite bathroom and a great view of the forest.
The hot tub was just perfect and well worth spending the little extra money to have one. It was absolutely lovely to sit in it on a freezing winters evening with the disco lights on and a glass of bubbly in hand!
We didn't sit out on the deck due to the weather but I'm sure it'd be great in the summer months, we'd like to get a few friends together and fire up the BBQ next time.
We didn't order any food so can't comment on that. Instead, we did the short drive into Callander to pick up fresh meat from the local butcher and prepared our own meals.

The only small gripe I have is that when we return, I would pay the extra charge to pick my own cabin. The one we had was over-looking the car park and I did feel a little bit exposed. One night I left the bedroom door open after my shower and realised I could see the man in the cabin opposite getting ready for bed so maybe he could see me?? The glass front on the cabins is amazing for the views of the loch and the mountains but don't go walking around in the nuddy!!
It didn't really affect our stay though..although I can't speak for the man in the other cabin ha ha ha!!

The staff were very friendly and kind to us. They even gave us a special treat since it was xmas and we'd travelled through the night to reach the cabin..I won't mention what it was incase I get someone into trouble ;) but we were extremely grateful!

The road! Everyone mentions the road! We were absolutely dreading it in our little Punto and even considered hiring a 4x4 because of the reviews on here but it was fine..no damage to our tyres. The scenery is beautiful on the way to the cabins so just go very slow, take it all in and you should be okay!

Thank you..we'll hopefully see you again in the summer :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review after your December break at Strathyr, it did make us laugh! I am sure you made a certain gentleman’s holiday. It is fair to say that some cabins are bit more private than others and it is possible, for a small additional charge, to reserve a cabin of your choice, subject of course to it being available. Other than “nuddygate” as we’re now calling it here, I am pleased to hear that the holiday lived up to your expectations and that the team looked after you well too. We look forward to seeing you again in the warmer weather.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed in one of the Silver Birch carbins (no.14) that came with a hot tub. The cabin looks amazing from the outside and is huge on the inside. its labelled to sleep 4 people (1 double bed and 2 single beds) and comes with ensuite bathroom for the master bedroom and seperate downtsairs toilet and bathroom as well. Its a combined kitchen/diner/living room at the front of the cabin that opens up onto a patio with outside bench/BBQ and hot tub. it was really clean and tidy when we got there with plenty of pots/pans/plates etc to do your own cooking no problem, they even provided a dish cloth, tea towel and dishwasher tablet as well, but you need to bring your own fairy liquid, pot scrubber etc. Plenty of light in the cabin, bit natural and from the plenty of energy saving light fitting around, the only downside to having a huge window/patio doors at the front of the cabbin is its quite hard to keep it warm and found ourselves snuggled under a spare duvet when relaxing on the couch. You only get the basic 5 channels (although itv is stv and some stuff on bbc 2 is different in scotland compared to england i.e. no top gear on sunday night!) but you do get a dvd player and scrabble to keep you entertained :-)

There's plenty of little walks around the camp site itself, you can see them at the entrance to the camp site behind reception, which can break you in before you go conquering the slightly bigger hill the camp site is based at :-)

the reception is set at the entrance to the camp and comes complete with ranger station, laundrette and cycle hire (including those 'tow my kid behind me trailers'. the people at reception are a good source of information and provide you with a welcome pack which tells you whats around and place they recommend. They can also provide breakfast if you fancy a bacon butty and they also cook pizza's in the evening which they can bring to your cabin. These are brilliant and i thouroughly recommend you get the garlic bread! its to die for! they also do other special offers to help make your stay more personal.

Room Tip: just get one with a hot tub. there's nothing better than sitting in one after a long hike, drink...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bs2mar
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Strathyre, Scotland, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent break at Strathyre. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, staying in one of our Silver Birch cabins. I am sorry to hear you weren’t quite warm enough; you should have been as warm as toast inside your cabin. If this should happen next time have a word up at the Retreat and they will help you adjust the thermostat on the heating.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

we stayed at golden oak cabin 19 at the beginning of march log cabin was stunning it was clean and very spacious,perfect! was a bit worried over peoples comments on ere but dont listen judge for urself just people picking silly things nothing is perfect,the road is not that bad either and it has speed limit signs so no problem if u go at the right speed afterall its not a main road its in the forest so that is the experience.hot tub was fantastic especially at night with a glass off wine,pure bliss! definatly go for a golden oak with hottub tho was amazing so as i said dont bother listening to the silly comments go judge urself.will definatly go back absolutly loved it the whole experience.

Room Tip: golden oak are definatly worth that little extra.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review after your recent stay with us at Forest Holidays in Strathyre. I am delighted that you found everything to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed the location and your cabin. It is difficult to imagine a more decadent experience than soaking in the hot tub, under a starry sky, glass in hand! I hope you’ll be back for more.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The brochure of Forest Holidays looks very promising, luxury cabins in stunning locations, the location was stunning but the cabin was all but luxury, a lack of maintenance combined with a lack of spending is more like it. I have stayed in luxury lodges with Natural Retreats and I expected Forest Holidays to be of the same calibre, big mistake!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank coalaa
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at Strathyre. I am sorry to hear that it did not live up to your expectations. We listen to all the feedback we receive and we are currently undertaking a major refurbishment programme. The driveway at Strathyre is also being improved too.
Bo'ness, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed in a Silver Birch cabin at Strathyre with my wife and young son for four days at the beginning for March.

The Cabin

As always with Forest Holidays the cabin was of a high standard and we pretty much had everything we needed. The cabin itself was clean and tidy upon our arrival. The furnishings were of decent quality and comfortable. The kitchen was well equipped with various utensils, pots and pans etc… The cabin also had two bedrooms and bathrooms. Again both of these were spot on. On the downside the cabin did feel as if it could do with a little TLC as there was a few things not quite up to standard – loose socket in the kitchen, low pressure in the showers, no floor mats for getting out the shower, no toilet roll holders. That said none of these little problems would spoil any stay.

The Retreat & Staff

The retreat / reception building had a good selection of necessities as well as a nice selection of local produce to choose from. There was also a small coffee shop which was reasonably priced. The staff were excellent on all fronts. Always friendly, happy to help and if ever you needed anything it would be done pretty much at the time of asking.

Strathyre Forest Cabins Site

The site itself was well set out and ideally located for walking or driving to any of the nearby towns and attractions. The road that leads up to the site is in pretty bad condition but as long as you take your time you should be ok. Although we were there in fine weather I could see the road being a bit of a problem if a covering of snow was on it as you would be unable to see a lot of the larger potholes and this could cause damage to your car. Having spoken to staff on site it appears to be a case of cost that this road is not being repaired. They would need to shut the site for four days and pay out £120k for these repairs. I guess at the end of the day Forest Holidays are more interested in taking your money than repairing this road.

Activities & Costs

Whilst we were happy with the price we paid for our cabin it would appear that Forest Holidays then try to charge you for everything on top. If we wanted to hire a travel cot and high chair it for our four day break it would have been and extra £40. I could buy these two items for less that this and throw them away at the end of the trip. Whilst I don't have a dog myself those of you wanting to take a dog with you will be charged an extra £10 per day. I accept the cabins may need extra cleaning after a dog has stayed there but this also seems too expensive.

Those of you planning on doing any of the advertised activites or hiring a bike etc will need to be aware that this is also expensive. All of the activities have to be paid for, even the ranger lead walks. These are not cheap especially if you are there as a family. We looked into hiring two bikes and a tag along. For a single day (minimum rental period) this would have cost us upwards of £40, which is ridiculous. I would recommend heading into Callander and renting bikes from Scottish Cycle Hire who are a lot cheaper and give the option of hiring for a half day or 2 hours as well.

Room Tip: The low numbered cabins are located in an arc around the retreat and car park. If you don't want...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Travelling_Macca
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at Strathyre. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your cabin and delighted that you found the facilities good and the team friendly and helpful. As you rightly point out we do charge for extras and activities and we try to make these prices fair and clear at the time of booking. Please don’t feel that you must take any extras, many of our guests do, but many don’t, simply enjoying the comfort of their cabin and its surroundings. We hope you will come and stay with us at Strathyre, or one of our other locations again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Callander
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port of Menteith
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Forest Holidays Strathyre, Scotland? Share your experiences!