“Five-star Fabulous”

Ranked #4 of 34 Callander B&B and Inns
New Hartford, Connecticut
“Five-star Fabulous”
Reviewed September 29, 2008

We selected the area of Callander because an earlier inquiry on Trip Advisor suggested that would be a reasonable first day’s drive for us from Birmingham Airport in England. We knew nothing of Callander and had read only a little bit about the Trossachs. The only thing we knew about Westerton was that they had earned 4 stars according to the Scottish Tourist Board. It was to be a resting place for two nights with a day of exploring the area in between. The highlight of this particular short holiday would be the Isle of Skye and a coastal town of Struan where we would stay at a Scottish Tourist Board 5-star “country lodge.”

According to Westerton’s website, we had three rooms from which to choose - blue, green or gold. The gold room looked a bit formal for the tone of this trip and while the green room did look attractive, I liked the looks of the huge windows in blue room as it was pictured on the website, so we selected that room and made our reservations to stay there. We felt that the rate was not over-the-top which it could have been, based simply on their rating.

From the moment we drove into the driveway, when Mike came outdoors to offer his directions for parking and help with our bags, we were made to feel very welcome. The door of their renovated early 19th century Scottish Victorian home opened to warmly restored and finished honey-colored wooden floors and a sweeping staircase that led past a beautiful stained glass window to the guest rooms upstairs. Mike opened the door to the blue room and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Lush carpeting, rich window treatments, a fabulous king-sized bed, antique armoire and dresser and two comfortable upholstered chairs. While I lingered in the HUGE bathroom, I heard that we also had a flat-screen television with DVD player and DVD’s. There was a hair dryer in the drawer and the makings for tea with wonderful china cups. We were also shown a book that Mike had compiled detailing places to visit, to dine and to explore while in the Trossachs. It must have taken him HOURS to do this. There were driving routes with times and his offer to provide copies of anything we’d like to take with us while we set out to explore.

I mentioned lingering in the bathroom because I really did do that! The lush carpeting did not stop at the bedroom. In fact, it was wall-to-wall, right up to the edge of the bathtub which did have a glass partition and shower. There was a wonderful vanity with lavender soap and bath gel. A Victorian side chair was placed next to one of the two huge windows in the room. The chair was painted white and it was upholstered with blue (of course) and white fabric. On the seat of the chair, there was a lovely bundle of soft, fluffy white towels. They were tied, as a gift would be, with a blue ribbon! Imagine!

The breakfast room doubles as a lounge where there are three round tables draped to the floor with crisp, white linen. (This beautiful room could have been a picture in a magazine.) We were fortunate enough to have taken breakfast at a time when a table that overlooked the fabulous gardens (the same ones we could see from our room above) was available. Even at breakfast time, candles were lit. At this point, I would have been very surprised if there were not fresh flowers on each of the tables!

There is simply not adequate time and space here to go on and on but I must conclude by saying that breakfast was over the top! The previous day I mentioned that I was disappointed to see that porridge was not printed on the menu. In spite of that, a hearty bowl of it appeared before me at breakfast. We had their house specialty – scrambled eggs with Scottish salmon (you need to see this to believe it) and it was so nice to see that they took vegetarians into consideration with an offering of vegetarian sausages! Fresh fruit, fresh yogurt, cereal, toast, coffee – it’s making me hungry to recall all of this. Breakfast was delivered each day by the sweet smiling Lesley who was happy to tell us tales of the restorations to their beautiful home.

Little did we know that the ambiance and charm of our stay at Westerton was not to be surpassed on this trip. In truth, we were disappointed with the 5-star lodging in Struan (we’re still scratching our heads trying to figure out where the 5 stars came from) so we’re taking it upon ourselves to add our own 5th star to the 4 stars given to Westerton by the Scottish Tourist Board. Lesley and Mike’s Westerton B&B is romantic, in a prime location for touring the area, offers antiquity and charm, and hospitality that feels genuine and sincere. Five-star fabulous.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Half Moon Island
Reviewed July 23, 2008

On our tour through Scotland, we chose Westerton based on Tripadvisor reviews and ended up finding the nicest bed&breakfast we ever visited:

- Arrival: we were received by both Mike and Lesley in a very friendly and efficient way. Parking is available just in front of the house. 10' after arrival we were all set, installed in the very cosy "gold room". Mike and Lesley have been incredible guests, being at the same time extremely helpful, willing to share tips and still not intrusive, letting us enjoy the calm of their wonderful house.

- The house: Westerton is a fairly large and very charming house, built decades ago as a "holiday house" - rather a small manor actually!

- The "Gold room": nice decoration and furniture, well in line with the rest of the house, a very fluffy bed, lots of space in the room, a flat screen and DVD player with a couple of movies to choose from, tea&coffee in the room, a nice view overlooking the beautiful garden and an ensuite bathroom with bath. The room is located on the garden side, meaning it is very silent even though the house lies nearby the road crossing Callander.

- Breakfast: this finished convincing us that Westerton was a special gem. The breakfast room is a beautiful "salon", at the ground floor of the house, with open windows over the garden. You are sitting at one of the three round tables, set as for a fancy dinner with white cloth and fine cutlery. Next to the table a small buffet starts the show with cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruits (ohhh the raspberries...), juice. A couple of minutes later, second round where Mike or Lesley proposes tea/coffee and warm toasts. Finally you can pick a "main course" for your breakfast: traditional scottish breakfast or different types of eggs (poached, fried, scrambled) and sides (mushrooms, tomatoes,...), hot croissants with jam, ... I recommend the scrambled eggs with scottish smoked salmon. In any case you don't go hungry and quality is high!

- What to see: a very complete leaflet with tips is available in the room, including walks, scenic drives, restaurant tips. We drove around the Trossachs and climbed up to Ben A'an. This walk is accessible for people in fair condition and offers outstanding views over a couple of Lochs and the surrounding mountains.

- Restaurants: We tried the first two restaurants of Mike and Lesley's leaflet: Poppies and Meadows - both were excellent places, which we also warmly recommend. Make sure to reserve in advance though. For Meadows, do not miss in particular the venison (best ever...) and their dessert tasting plate called "the wave". A dream for a dessert addicts!

Overall, no doubt we will stay at Westerton again next time we visit Scotland. Actually Westerton itself might even be one of the things that will bring us back to Scotland!

• Liked — The excellent breakfast and the very helpful and discrete hosts
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Dorset, UK
Reviewed June 30, 2008

I was treated to a stay in the Westerton B&b as part of a suprise birthday present.

This could have been all I got for my birthday and it would have been the best I have ever had.

The B&B is wonderful, Mike and Lesleys attention to detail is absolutely second to none, they should be very proud of themselves as all their hard effort has paid dividends.

We stayed in the Green Room, from our understanding, the Blue Room is the best on the place, but the Green Room was absolutely faultless, with one of the most amazingly comfortable beds I have ever laid my limbs in.

I honestly cannot describe how perfect our time was, you should all just go and find out for yourselves.

• Liked — The friendliness and attention to detail
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We booked the gold and blue rooms for a two night break in late June. Whilst it looks gorgeous in the web-site pictures it is even more amazing in real life!

The blue room is bright, HUGE and luxurious with a fabulous view of the gardens and a king-size bed. Whilst slightly smaller, the gold room is also beautifully decorated and has the same lovely view. Bathrooms have windows and are immaculate with the added luxury of Arran Aromatics toiletries.

Your hosts are friendly and helpful with local maps which can be borrowed for sight-seeing trips. Breakfast continues the luxury theme with polished silver tea pots, fresh fruit and a very well cooked Scottish breakfast. There are even alternatives such as toasted bagels and cream cheese.

This B&B is way better than any four (and many five star) hotels you will come across. I would have no hesitation in staying there again! Absolutely fantastic!

• Liked — Luxury bedrooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Aberdeen
Reviewed June 16, 2008

We booked our stay in their pricey blue room which looked good from the pictures on their website. When we checked in we were offered afternoon tea on the terrace which set the tone for our entire stay.

The blue room is not your standard B&B room and could quite happily be considered a suite at the most expensive luxury hotels. The decor was immaculate, our hosts were incredibly welcoming, and the food was great.

For a luxury weekend away I would not hesitate to recommend the Westerton to even the most picky traveller.

We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay and are looking for an excuse to go back.

• Liked — Luxury setting
  • Disliked — The sausages at breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2008

Stayed at Westerton in the gold room for 2 nights. I have nothing bad to say- the owners were friendly and helpful, room was well equipped and the breakfast was great. Would definately stay here again!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2008

I planned the honeymoon accommodation for my wife and I. While I had some hits and misses in Scotland, my masterstroke came with the Westerton and Callander!
I try to think about things critically, but it is almost impossible to say a bad word about our stay at the Westerton. The accommodation was amazing (the patterns on the Quilt even matched the wall paper), our hosts were attentive and very informative, and the 'house specialty" of Smoked Salmon scrambled eggs was unforgettable.
I was so impressed that I insisted my sister visit there when she too makes the trip all the way from Australia.
I don't always like to retrace my steps, but if ever I make it to Scotland again, I will be sure to visit the Westerton!

• Liked — The amazing rooms and awesome breakfasts
  • Disliked — Driving out of the driveway was a little dicey.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple