“Just what the doctor ordered!”

Brig o' Turk Tearoom and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 45 Restaurants in Callander
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish, Hungarian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are re-opening for the 2017 season on Friday 24th February at 10am. Our opening hours will be 10-5, every day except Wednesday. Pop in for a lovely bowl of warming soup or Hungarian Goulash for lunch or enjoy a cuppa with some homemade cake. If you prefer to dine in the evening please reserve a table at our newly opened Poppy Seed Restaurant in Poppies Hotel in Callander. Please see our Facebook pages for up to date information.
Alloa
“Just what the doctor ordered!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here on the way to QE Forest park as we knew we could get a cooked breakfast having been a few months prior. The breakfast was excellent and although it took a while to be served we didn't mind as we knew it would be good value and made to order. The black pudding was exceptional, very light and moist and upon enquiring we were told it was Stornoway black pudding. The breakfast was very 'clean' or not too greasy or fatty. It's a cosy tearoom with a nice atmosphere. Very tempted to dine here in the evening given the menus dotted around the walls! We will definitely be back to sample more. Nice sitting outside also but the weather didn't permit on this occasion

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Simply the Best!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had invited the sister-in-law and her family to join us for lunch during our holiday in the Trossachs. With an age range from 4 to 60+, we had to find a versatile and friendly venue. The Tearoom doesn't disappoint. I called by in the morning before they were even open to book a table and was offered a large one beside a vast selection of kids' books, games and toys. Just what was needed to keep two lively girls quiet for the duration!

We enjoyed a super fresh cooked meal with friendly, attentive service throughout. Prices were reasonable and the evening menu looks interesting too. Our schedule prevented us returning but we would most certainly visit again, not least after a disastrous visit to the Venachar Lochside Café (See Review). Encouragingly, they also recommended the Wee Blether at KInlochard (see review) which was of a similarly high standard.

• Visited June 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Brig O'Turk Tea Rooms, simply a wonderful hidden gem”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I can not believe this quirky, cute and cosy yet exquisite, professional little tea room has so few reviews. (there are actually two listings of this venue in Trip Advisor that they need to addressed , Brig O' Turk tearooms & Brig o'Turk)

We discovered this gem on the rebound from an awful experience eating at a local restaurant on the Trossachs Pier of Loch Katrine.

The Brig O'Turk is an amazing find. I believe built in the 1920's (correct me if I have my facts wrong). This little timber building reminiscent of so many Icelandic and Nordic cabins I have seen built for similar climates, possess great charm and character.

The welcome began as we stepped out of our car with a warm greening from an owner. As we entered the charming panelled cabin the Maître D' / Host, cheerfully seated and served us lovely coffee and the best cake plus an apple pie to die for. Nothing was too much trouble for her. With meticulous attention to detail and conversation that was as easy a bumping into an old acquaintance, she is a great asset to the business. We did not even need to consult each other my husband and I simulatneously asked if they we open in the evenings and booked a table, meaning an 80km round trip for us but worth every minute.

Our little one asked if she could bring her new toy otter and was told he would have his own special seat when he arrived. And he did.

The owner/chef is Hungarian and included some wonderful Hungarian dishes in the menu. Our picky little one devoured a fabulous Hortobágyi palacsinta starter (Hungarian meat filled pancake smothered in a rich creamy paprika sauce). I have even been offered the recipe! She also ordered fish fingers offered as a child's option which I swear turned out to be freshly made Monk Fish Goujons! irresistible. My husband ordered haggis balls as a starter and they were unique and addictive. His Monk fish main was tasty perfectly cooked and a sizeable portion. My Hungarian Goulash with home-made bread was perfect.

I can not recommend this venue highly enough. I hope it never changes it's identity ethos or formulae.

The Brig O'Turks has a big heart with a soul, character, pride, and professionalism, that Scotland should be proud of. I was tempted to tell the world about it so I could keep it for myself.

We will be back! Thank you Brig O'Turks Tea Rooms.

1 Thank travelmuch_11
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent value”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

For a 'wee' tearoom, they do an amazing job. It might not have the views or subtleties of a more up-market venue but what they do is done well and at good prices. Service was pleasant and helpful. A kids menu is available which was good with the grandchildren. There is a small but acceptable wine list and a cosy atmosphere. Many years ago, this place had a good reputation and then went downhill, eventually closing for quite a time. The new owners have invested in an upgrade and it has worked well. if you have not tried it yet, do so.

Glasgow
“Little gem tucked away, that's well worth finding”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Visited this place a couple of times now. We were so impressed with the tea and cakes that we returned for a meal and we were not disappointed. Great service and food to match. Proper home made burgers that I've never tasted an equal to. Great prices and very family friendly.

• Visited July 2013