“Great Location; basic, but good value for money. Would stay again!”
Review of Dreadnought Hotel

Dreadnought Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Callander
UK
“Great Location; basic, but good value for money. Would stay again!”
Reviewed May 1, 2009

We had read trip advisor reviews on this hotel after we had booked & were prepared to be horrified; BUT we were pleasantly surprised! On arrival at the hotel, parking was a bit of a squeak & might be problematic in peak periods. The hotel itself looks quite grand (in a traditional manner) & appeared very clean from the moment we stepped through the door. The duty manager greeted us & informed us of the dining arrangements (we had booked dinner plus B&B). To our surprise there was also "big" bands booked for the two nights we were staying.

Our room was incredibly spacious & had a view out on to the high street & the river beyond. Everything was clean & tidy & well furnished. Our mattress was a bit soft & elderly, but I did get a good night's sleep despite this. My only complaint about the room is that there was no shower in the bathroom which made it quite difficult to wash my hair!

A good choice of food was on offer in the evening with a three-course meal available. Yes, some things had a surcharge (steak, for instance) but this was clearly mentioned on the menu. I found the food quality perfectly adequate for what we had paid & would describe it as traditional Scottish fare.

Our fellow guests were mainly elderly, but this made for a warm & friendly atmosphere during the evening's entertainment (a select trio from the Frank Curran "Big Band"). The staff were perfectly agreeable & always seemed happy to help.

Breakfast was simple (again traditional Scottish fare) & my partner found the Scottish cooked breakfast filling & delicious (I had toast & cereal).

The second night provided a four course menu for dinner, accompanied by the full strength Frank Curran "Big Band" this time. Space was made for dancing & I think everybody had a good time.

Overall, I think you have to read some of the more negative reviews with a pinch of salt. If you want carbon copy rooms with predictable facilities, go & stay at a Travelodge (or better still stay at home & leave the rest of us to enjoy life). I found very little to fault at the Dreadnought hotel for the price & star rating. Give it a try.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
aberdeen
Reviewed April 23, 2009

This could be a lovely hotel but needs much spent on it. Granted we stumbled upon the hotel late on a Friday night and were allocated a "double" room on the first floor, the room was tiny, a portable sized TV in the top corner of the room (bearning in mind the cealings are so high we could hardly see it), the room was tiny to say the least and the bathroom, well the shower worked just about and you were unable to turn around in the bathroom. How much does it take to do general cleaning? The whole place needs a complete overhaul and the oxford Hotel chain must spend money on this establishment quickly, I couldnt believe how run down and dirty this place was. We didnt use the breakfast room so I cant comment on the breakfast content or service.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank abz101

Travelers are raving about these Callander hotels

Northumberland
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Thanks to the lovely staff at this hotel we enjoyed a fantastic Easter walking break in the Trossachs.

Check in was friendly and efficient.

We found our room to be a good size and very clean with views over the river.
Tea and coffee tray provided and nice and warm.
The room and public area's appear to be newly decorated with some new furnishings.

Food at dinner was very nice with a good choice of menu well served.The soups were divine.Jugs of water provided and if you want wine or beer with your meal just get it from the bar.
Breakfast was of a good standard.

We did not sample the evening entertainment but it seemed to be very popular.
Live sports on the big screen was available in the bar which we did sample.

Yes the reception staff do sometimes double up with bar duties and while all staff were multi-tasking they were always cheerful.

This hotel does not pretend to be the Hilton and does not charge Hilton prices.
For the price we paid we have no complaints and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Stayed 2 nights and got a great deal including dinner and breakfast for £66.00 per night. I Was obviously concerned about the reviews and on arrival the hotel didn't look too pretty but it's clean, and did just the job. Yes it needs a refurb, the rooms are tired but they are clean. Anyway, we didn't go away to spend the weekend sitting in the bedroom. It's the perfect base to explore the surrounding area. Food is good, staff are friendly. Didn't have high expectation but they were certainly met and then some. Would suggest if you are looking for a romantic, luxurious gettaway you stay elsewhere but if your visiting friends/family or need a base to visit the local area you won't get better value elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ScotsLass6
UK
Reviewed March 7, 2009

What a shame, this hotel could be beautiful but the overall feeling was of total neglect. The food was quite nasty, overcooked veg and some very strange concoctions. (Stir fry with roast potatoes!!)
The room had filthy walls, why on earth they couldn't have been wiped down I'll never know. No shower just a very old bathroom suite, ancient blankets and the worst bed we have EVER slept in. Not that I slept in it, I had to sleep with my young daughter in her single bed. I invited some of our travelling companions in to try the bed and it caused great hilarity. It was similiar to a board, with lumps! When I reported this to the general manager he said he knew already. NOT a great help to me.
Also on the Saturday night my whole family were kept awake till 2.30am by some extremely drunk people (around 20 of them) having a sing a long in a bedroom along the corridor. No member of staff could be found in the hotel to report this to.
All in all it was a disasterous stay and we would never go back. The free bar is obviously an attraction to people who don't particularly care about the quality of the hotel and just go there to get drunk but for families this hotel is an absolute NO GO.
Fair enough it's 2 star and budget but standards were still very very poor.
It needs a good clean and some staff that actually look like they are interested in the guests.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
OHIML, General Manager at Dreadnought Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2009
"Thank you for taking the time to write. I will ensure the comments' you have made will be investigated and addressed in due course both with our Housekeeping and Kitchen Brigade. I am very sorry to hear you were disturbed during the night. It was unfortunate on this occasion' that the behaviour of some of our guests' has managed to spoil the enjoyment for others' as this would certainly not be our intention."
Bellshill, Lanarkshire
Reviewed February 10, 2009

OMG, this hotel was dreadful. The only good part was the free bar and let me tell you, you would need to comsume a great deal of alcohol to think this hotel was OK. The cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired, , the mildew on the windows and the dead blue bottles had obviously not been cleaned for a few years, maybe since the hotel had been built, who knows? The dinner, well having ordered pakora which was brought out within 2 seconds and venison with blackcurrant sauce (which tasted more like orange sauce, maybe the "chef" can't tell the difference and I use the word chef lightly, Gordon Ramsay would have a field day!!! Microwaved veg, yuk everything about it was disgusting. The cheesecake was warm having just been defrosted in the micro 5 minutes before and ice cream well, you can't really go wrong with that or can you - the fact that it had probably been in the freezer since last summer and was like powder may be slightly off putting. Never have I tasted anything so awful in my life. They do say you get what you pay for and that was the case with this hotel. I would have much preferred a pot noodle for dinner!! Couldn't face the breakfast so can't comment as the dinner was bad enough. I stayed in this hotel a good number of years ago and it was never as bad as this. My advice, book the Waverley @ £60 per room B&B, you get clean immaculate rooms and home cooked food and I'm sure no flies or mildew in sight. Dreadnought, get your act together!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
OHIML, General Manager at Dreadnought Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2009
Thankyou for taking the time to comment. I was disappointed to note the problems you experienced during your stay. Now that I am aware of these I will ensure that these are looked into and we can at least make the necessary changes to ensure future guests' enjoy our hospitality more.
scotland
Reviewed January 11, 2009

Just returned from a 2 night bargain break with easy breaks...£59 each for DBB and all inc bar between 7 and 10pm....we always make up our own minds after reading the reviews....yes there are minor issues with the rooms like windows rattling with the wind and the rain but we use our rooms to get our heads down after exploring a place..Breakfast was excellent, evening meals good homecooked food....hotel did feel cold was hoping for a burning hearth and not a convector heater in its place..didnt want to complain about the rattly window or the bathroom tumbler which was dirty. But did complain that when we returned from our breakfast to bathe and pack our bags the towels had been romoved from the room... considering this was at 9 am on a SUNDAY morning we didnt feel that we should be pressured to have had a bath before breakfast...the staff must surely have seen we were still occupying the room with our bags lying around..Response from reception was they have a limited supply of towels and they take the towels for the laundry my arguement was that we werent even finished with them....Would return but would take the towels to breakfast next time.....

• Liked — value for money
  • Disliked — response to complaint
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Callander
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ardeonaig
Dalgair House Hotel
Dalgair House Hotel
#5 of 6 in Callander

Been to Dreadnought Hotel? Share your experiences!