“Came to my rescue at very short notice”
Review of Dreadnought Hotel

Dreadnought Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Callander
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Came to my rescue at very short notice”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

The Dreadnought's staff were great when I was let down by another accommodation supplier in Callender. At very short notice they managed to accommodate my 15 clients (and their cycles) while we were on a bicycle tour of the Trossachs. The hotel itself is a wonderful old building and has seen better days, it certainly needs a lot of money spent on it, but our rooms were fine, clean and just what we needed. I'd have no hesitation in taking a group there again.

Room Tip: My clients advised me that rooms at the front of the hotel were a bit noisier due to road traffic, I...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Gary539

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I would highly recommend this hotel I do not know were the other guests stayed as we stayed here after my wedding 3 of us are contract cleaning managers for a national company and we could not find anything wrong with our beautiful rooms even skirting boards were clean. Yes it does need updating but when you book it clearly tells u that the hotel is under new management this will take time to do and if you do not understand this then u should not have gone we found everyone very friendly accommodating cheery our wedding glasses and champagne was chilled and set up in our rooms they could not have done enough to make sure our stay was enjoyable the bed was just right not everyone likes a soft mattress our one was perfect we had a bay window which looked out onto the road and our side one looked onto the hills beautiful our guests room looked onto the national park beautiful breakfast was cereal them a Scottish breakfast with as much tea coffee toast you wished we will be back and recommend as we enjoyed our stay and our evening meal was stunning receptionist jenavie was so lovely and the head house keeper was brilliant nothing was a bother to them they have plans for the hotel but like most things it takes time we enjoyed our stay all of us a big thank you to everyone who works thier.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Beckydishington
Fife
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

In corridor where our room was there was a very bad smell of dampness and wet paint aswell as the room inside. The shower roof was hanging of. The cups that were left were covered in old tea stains. Wallpaper hanging of roof. Bed brick hard. Bed broken. Broken up tablets under bed just filthy. Bed cushions were covered in small white hairs. Just generally disgusting went to complain and staff were very rude and were trying to insinuate that we were the ones in the wrong because we wanted a refund they had the cheek to go and check the room when we were only in 5 mins and got charged 10 pound for sitting on the bed and apparently using a towel. They were very rude talking about us in the room behind reception saying it was terrible we were down complaining already. This was ridiculous would never recommend it also the bar staff in pub next door were very blunt and rude aswell.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Scodge87

Travelers are raving about these Callander hotels

northumberland
Reviewed May 26, 2014

The Dreadnought is past it's best, there is no other way of saying this. The staff are great and incredibly helpful, but the hotel is weary and the lift is a miracle of 1940's engineering. It's worth staying for the staff and it's decent value for money and the breakfasts are Ok too, but the hotel is in dire need of some (a lot) updating.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel... No really, stay somewhere else but have a drink at the bar here.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank suzichick
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Tired hotel in need of renovation, dinner food portions meager, room size good but cleanliness poor; carpet had sticky lump on it. One person on reception, possibly not a receptionist, was very abrupt and rude; when my wife requested shower and shampoo gel the receptionist said the small bottles were expected to last all week and after my wife insisted on some they were given to her, when my wife was walking away the receptionist said " this is not the Hilton".
The hotel has a 3 star rating but after staying at a 4 star hotel recently I would class the Dreadnought as barely 2 star.

Room Tip: Room at the rear
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dave1210
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stayed at the Dreadnought because it was booked for us by the groom of the wedding we were attending. We phoned to ask about early check-in as the wedding started at 2pm and their normal check-in is 3pm we wanted to just drop off our bags and go to the ceremony. We were told this was fine we could check-in at 12 noon but we would be charged £10.

On arriving at the hotel I was not impressed, and my opinion did not improve as we entered to find another 6 guests (who had also phoned about early check-in because of the 2pm wedding) all of whom were being told no rooms were ready!

The staff are rude and obnoxious and honestly I don't think this hotel should even be in business!
We had to leave our bags in the dinning room and were promised they would be moved to our respective rooms before we returned that evening. They weren't!

The hotel is disgusting and completely falling apart it stinks of damp and wet paint where they have tried and failed to cover the damp.

When we finally got a room key I admit I was impressed by the size of the room, until I tried to sleep...the bed was so hard I'd have been better on the floor and the pillows were even harder. It was like sleeping with my head on a rock...although perhaps a rock would have been more comfortable!

The walls are also so thin I could hear the neighbouring rooms using their bathroom facilities - not pleasant!

Then breakfast was cold and under cooked! absolutely the worst hotel I have ever ever stayed at!

Honestly for the price I didn't expect much but having stayed at other hotels of a similar price I can safely say we over paid!

People leaving positive reviews - I don't know where you stayed but I do not for one second believe it was the same Dreadnought Hotel we stayed at!

Room Tip: Don't stay here! Find somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank HanaRoo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We arrived at the dreadnought as we wanted to go walking in the local area, initailly enetring the lobby we thought the hotel looked a bit tired and could do with a bit of a make over.
We entered the bedroom, it was a good size and very clean, there were very little products in the bathroom but I had my own and would rather use these than pay execssive room rates anyway. Happy there was a bath, having walked all day.
Staff could not have been more helpful or friendly and the music and entertainment in McNabs was very good.
Have already booked to return again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple