“Pet Friendly & Affordable!!!”
Review of Dreadnought Hotel

Dreadnought Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Callander
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We visited the Dreadnought Hotel for the second time this year on Saturday 9th November. This time we stayed in a double room which was clean & comfortable. When we arrived I asked at reception for an extra blanket as it was very frosty outside & the manager delivered it to our room personally about 5 minutes later. We will visit this hotel again & again!!! Thanks for making our stay enjoyable :D

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 10, 2013

This hotel is in dire need of updating. The rooms very uncomfortable, cold, sticky old carpeting, spider in the bed, rusty bath, depressing hallways.
The breakfast was ok on a plus side, and the bar area was nice, but that's the only thing that was nice in this hotel,,,,,, horrible will never return !!!!

Room Tip: we booked two rooms both were as bad as the other
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband and myself visited this hotel a few years ok. Always had a great time. We were quite surprised when we arrived to see that the entertainment lounge is now a restaurant (macnabs) and there was no entertainment on even though outside it says live entertainment every weekend. Spoke to a gentleman and asked about entertainment but his reply was it just depends I asked about future entertainment and his reply was again I can't say it just depends. Even though I told him we were hoping to come up for my mother in laws 50th and that a lot of us would be coming up he made no effort to even check. Room was freezing even though there was two heaters in it. Basic aswell. Bed was comfortable which was good. Although it wasn't it was a double bed it was two singles pushed together. Decided to have dinner in restaurant waited a while and it wasn't worth the wait. The macaroni cheese was very bland no taste at all. And the garlic bread was burnt definitely not worth the wait. My husbands burger was small with a dry roll and dried up coleslaw with no dressing which tasted like it had been lying ages. It was also freezing in there too no fire lit. A lot of people were going to there room and putting jumpers on. The hotel staff didn't seem to care. The sky also wasn't working and the men fixing it looked like a bunch of cowboys. Who didn't have much of a clue. We ended up going along to another bar as it was so cold and boring in hotel. Breakfast well we waited 45 minutes on it then when it came it was all dried up. Left most of it. It's such a shame as this used to be such a great hotel. We always enjoyed our stay. Now it seems not so friendly or enjoyable. I think they really one of the halls for entertainment. I think a lot of people going there after not being for a few years would be shocked.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Where do I begin ok well yes it was on a budget and we took our dog so maybe this is why we did not get a nice room. The room we were in was small and dirty the bed was very uncomfortable full of lumps and bumps that neither of us slept at all, the wall were marked above the bed the paintwork was all chipped and there was a strange odour. The bathroom was disgusting again the paintwork was all chipped and bottom of shower screen was black . The toilet did not flush properly and when did it took ages to fill. It certainly needs a lot work to bring this hotel up to scratch. The bar was ok and the food in the bar was ok. The breakfast was ok although the coffee was freezing and the toast hard and cold obviously made a while before we came down. We cut our stay short as all we wanted to do was get home . Both very disgruntled and tired will certainly not be staying there again

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wilma M
Reviewed October 30, 2013

How do I begin? We arrived about two in the afternoon and decided to have lunch. There were no clean cleared tables so we sat at one with dirty plates and glasses. The batman walked past us FIVE times and completely ignored the mess. I cleared it myself putting everything on another dirty table. When we did get our lunch it was ok but that was it only ok.
On the room. At first glance it looked ok with modern furniture etc. then we discovered there was no hair dryer, a toilet roll with about four sheets left and no spare, no hand soap, the toilet door was hard to open and close and there was no bolt on it, the shower had black mould as did the bathroom sink, the shelf below the sink was filthy and the wallpaper in the room was torn.
At night we ordered our meal which took about half an hour to arrive, when we got it my wife's burger was completely raw in the middle - completely unsatisfactory.
On returning to the room the one saviour was the bed. It was very comfortable.
Next morning we were wakened by someone playing a PIANO in the lounge below at 7-30 in the morning.....
Breakfast was ok but not worth the half hour wait we had to get it. No we will never stay there
again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JimmyKK
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Ok its not the Ritz, but at £30 for a room, and breakfast what can you say? It was clean, the staff friendly and attentive and breakfast in the Edwardian? restaurant a pleasure. I will be back on another budget trip for sure. Reading the reviews I'm not sure why some folk leave home!

Room Tip: Ask to be in the main part of the building near reception
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

I rather like it. It's quirky and I know not the "smartest hotel in town" but the staff are more polite than many a classy joint I've stayed in. Breakfasts are more than adequate and I've not had a sleepless night. If you want ritz Carlton, don't come here but if you want faded grandeur and quirky then you'll enjoy it. Good to see the owners "trying" which I don't see in many upmarket places :)

Stayed: October 2013