Dreadnought Hotel
$84
$62
$60
  • Breakfast included
The Lake of Menteith Hotel(Port of Menteith)
$146
Cromlix(Kinbuck)
$668
$533
Travelocity
Old Churches House Hotel(Dunblane)(Great Value!)
$67
$65
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 27, 2008

Following a recent 2 night stay (myself, my son and my mum and dad), here are some of my thoughts which I have summed up in bad/good points:-

BAD POINTS: inadequate carpark, musty smell throughout building and faded appearance; poor quality furniture with some in need of repair/replacement; poor welcome; battery missing from TV remote; dim lighting in room; no biscuits for tea/coffee in room; very basic breakfast; dining room tables too close to self service area. Furthermore, our internet rate was meant to include tea & scones on arrival however the staff had no knowledge of this.

GOOD POINTS: The hotel is in a superb location and I was pleased with the view from our window; I myself had a large room (though my parents was small); the bathroom, though not having a shower, was clean and had plenty hot water and nice toiletries; the evening meal though not what you'd call fine dining, was decent fare; staff were good at returning an item left behind.

Overall the standard is reflected in the price. There is a neglected feel about the place and sometimes the staff were nowhere to be seen. There was no warm welcome (indeed our rooms were not ready at first and had to come back), and on checking out there was no one there. The hotel is in need of total refurbishment and would benefit from a standard decor applied to all the bedrooms. Furthermore I feel there is room for improvement regards to service and the food. On the whole, ok as a base for touring the beautiful area but not advisable as a romantic or birthday treat type of break

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2008

What a disastrous hotel!! My room was unclean, covered in cobwebs, no shower, no telephone or hairdryer and the bathroom faced directly onto the street so had to have the curtains drawn when ever I wished to utilise the toilet or bath. A street light was also directly outside my window making it difficult to get a good nights sleep and the windows seemed to let in all the noise of the road. My kettle also kept crackling at me as the connection was dodgy and I got a bad neck watching the TV on the ceiling!! Lots of creaky floorboards too. The food no better, vegetarian options very poor. Most of the food out of a tin or microwaved or frozen and a supplement had to be paid if you wanted a steak or cheese and biscuits!! Extreme lack of staff but those that I encountered were pleasant enough a mixture of Scottish and European. The bar very dowdy no natural light. Over all this hotel is very run down needs a good clean and modernising drastically. Room was never cleaned in the day time just the bed made and a knock at the door at 9am asking for my towels. However location excellent, if you want to stay in Callander mind, there is some really nice Forestry Commission Lodges 3 miles up the road. And just up the road in Kilmahog a lovely pub called The Lade, which does fab meals if you rather not eat tinned fruit, suspicious beef, undercooked breakfasts, frozen veg, orange squash as opposed to juice and packet pasta!! This does let Scottish hotels down extremely. But please don’t be put off folks there are so many lovely hotels in Scotland!!

Stayed: December 2007
3  Thank empen
Reviewed January 3, 2008

Unhappily our company stumbled into this hotel on a rainy evening.

You could not parody how awful this Hotel is, bleak dour and with a distinct deathly odour.

The staff are so unhelpful they probably put effort into it.

Dread nought indeed.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank ThomasEdinburgh
Reviewed November 27, 2007

My wife and I stayed for four nights during which time the staff gave the impression they were not bothered if guests enjoyed their stay or not

At no time during our stay did any member of staff introduce themselves by name or ask if we were enjoying our stay

Quality and choice of food excellent but if you wanted another coffee or at breakfast more toast we always had to ask

Entertainment very average

Bedroom spacious and comfortable but bathroom disappointing with no shower, loose handles on the bath and broken taps

Piping hot water at all times

Despite leaving a good tip for all members of staff not one person said goodbye or asked if we had enjoyed our stay

By contrast the local shop keepers were extremely friendly and always asked if we were enjoying our stay in Callander

• Stayed: November 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 4, 2007

meant to be a treat for my elderly mother - car park like derelict building site, first rooms shown- walls were dirty, as was bed cover and chair,
moved to another room where toilet did not flush( complained but not sorted), and the smell eminating from the laundry opposite was revolting .-food and service OK - however a depressing break - avoid this place

Stayed: August 2007