“Prime location”
Review of Dreadnought Hotel

Dreadnought Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Callander
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Well I thought that this hotel gave ecellent value for money you don't pay Dorchester money so don't expect it.....
The hotel was clean.
Our room was fine a little dated but so what, it was noted that improvements were being made and builders were in.
Staff lovely and friendly.
The food was amazing.
Excellent location in a lovely village.
Perfect for our needs.
Thanks to all who made us very welcome.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Nysha1

Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night during a bike tour of Scotland, i am glad it wasn't for any longer.The hotel is in desperate need of refurbishment.i have read other reviews and agree the rooms are very basic and all around the hotel is screaming for care and attention, but I have to say our room was clean enough, just and the bed sheets were clean.one serious concern I have got , we booked three rooms and with my key I could get into all three rooms, obviously this a great concern for guests personnel safety and for there personnel possessions. If management do read this review look at the rooms booked under lavender and GET THE LOCKS SORTED.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

The hotel is in the process of receiving investment of £200’000 which will see all carpets and soft furnishing replaced as well as new beds, furniture, baths, Televisions and a complete refurbishment of the bar area. The locks have also been changed on the bedroom doors making the rooms more secure . I would like to assure you that we fully intend to restore the property to it’s full potential.

However, the need for investment can be no excuse for the poor cleanliness and general maintenance issues that you mention and for this I apologise. Please be assured that these have been discussed with my managers responsible

Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband myself ,brother, sister-in law, baby james and Jess the dog had a lovely time and ate well last weekend they are trying hard to refurbish while keeping the hotel open, the rooms are a little tired but very clean,spacious and have all you could ask for . The service is good,helpful staff and great value for a break in wonderful countryside.As long as you are not going to stay in your room too long this is well worth the cost

Room Tip: If you want a bath and shower ask when booking
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This hotel definitely needs a refit and a good scrub. Our room was on the 2nd floor and the lift was out of order, just as an angry elderly lady with a stick informed us loudly that they don't help with the bags! The room was so awful it was actually laughable, it was like a student bedsit with a sliding door to the tiny ensuite (ha ha) bathroom. The only shelf was sloping at an angle so items just rolled off into the toilet! The towels were at the side of the toilet (not great considering splashes) and the shower was enclosed like a portaloo. The floorboards were noisy in the corridor and we could hear every step and door bang when people walked past. There was also the noise of an engine revving outside that went on for hours! The TV had a few channels (no radio), but with really bad reception. Everywhere throughout the hotel the carpet is threadbare and the whole place is tired and depressing. As for breakfast you could tell it was all of the cheapest ingredients, the sausages were thin and grey like the economy ones and as for the haggis, I actually felt quite angry that tourists would come to Scotland and be disgusted by haggis based on the cheap muck they served up here! There is free parking around the back of the hotel, but you have to ask them where it is, as there is a large pay parking area next to it. I realise that some people have had a bargain price staying here and maybe they got better rooms; we paid £50 B&B which I thought was a good price until I experienced the place, but I would rather pay just a little more to get a whole lot better.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank M D
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

I would like to apologise that unfortunately on your visit the lift had broken down but an engineer was called on the day and the lift is regularly serviced. A porter service is available on request from reception. The hotel is in the process of receiving investment of £200’000 which will see all carpets and soft furnishing replaced as well as new beds, furniture, baths, Televisions and a complete refurbishment of the bar area. I would like to assure you that we fully intend to restore the property to it’s full potential.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Firsty.. As advertised, the Dreadnought Hotel has free parking, this is not true, i had to pay £5 for an overnight park, not alot of money but that is not the point. Also, the room bed and decor was filthy, our room alone had not been dusted in months, behind the curtains was particularly bad! I spent an hour cleaning the room which i PAID for this service to have already been done! the walls, carpet, curtains and bed sheets were dirty and stained, we had a lovely view of the chef's smoking, spitting and coughing up all over the place, also old toilets and baths lying out there aswell which made it look like a dump, safe to say we did NOT eat there. There were big tears in the furniture in our bedroom and wallpaper falling off the walls, In the bathroom there wasnt a shower and stains in the bath, In my oppinion the whole hotel needs re-thinking, staff and decor! Also, when we asked for a late key, there was no hesitation atal, we didnt get asked what our room numbers were, who we are, just simply handed the key to a stranger as far as she was aware! Would we recomend this place to anyone, NEVER! Wouldnt even take my dog to live in such filth.

Room Tip: The B&B across the street is what i would advise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

As advertised the hotel does have its own free parking located at the rear of the building and late keys are only handed out to guests staying in the hotel. The hotel is in the process of receiving investment of £200’000 which will see all carpets and soft furnishing replaced as well as new beds, furniture, baths, Televisions and a complete refurbishment of the bar area. I would like to assure you that we fully intend to restore the property to it’s full potential.

Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has potential. The building is splendid, on the edge of Callander as you leave towards the Trossachs. You can tell from the fine windows and wood panelling in the bar (being restored as we speak) that it was once a fine establishment where money was no object. Yet now, it oh so certainly is. This hotel is now cheap, very very cheap. I just spent 2 nights there in a clean, more than adequate en suite room for £70 and that included breakfast AND evening meals! The breakfast was perfectly acceptable and whilst there were a couple of oversights with dinner in the evening, it was far better than the price suggested. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful during our stay. People who criticise this hotel ought to remember you get what you pay for in this life. As such, this hotel is punching well above it's weight.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We paid £29 pp dinner bed and breakfast. Good points - excellent evening meal, very good breakfast, polite and friendly staff, comfortable bed, fantastic price!. Bad points - only one, I'm sure our room was used for a' pipe smokers convention' as it was stinking of tobacco smoke.

Room Tip: room 216 if you enjoy the smell of tobacco!.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends