“excelent”

Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The country I am coming from, we know in Scotland hardly can eat anything.
I was visiting Scotland a week away from my home in Germany .
I had a great time in callander , on b&b , also , all week I eat around ,
Almost evry dinner in the Crown hotel, I had a very nice experience , the food was great ,
Had the best fish ever better than I had in London, excellent steak pie , great chicken with BBQ sauce ,nice venison and first time I had haggis .
Friendly personal , the barman Scott have done everything , nice Lady Isobel ,
Looking after everyone ,I recommended for all my friends , and I have say I wish to buy a house
In this nice village just for food they serve in Crown Hotel…
I maybe ask for some recipes to do some food in my home , I haven’t courage to ask the chef how make the chicken and the haggis ,This is my emailThe country I am coming from, we know in Scotland hardly can eat anything.
I was visiting Scotland a week away from my home in Germany .
I had a great time in callander , on b&b , also , all week I eat around ,
Friendly personal , the barman Scott have done everything , nice Lady Isobel ,
In this nice village just for food they serve in Crown Hotel…
I maybe ask for some recipes to do some food in my home , I haven’t courage to ask the chef how make the chicken and the haggis ,This is my email markugunter@yahoo.com, if possible can you send me the recipes ?thank you ad all the best Mark

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Friendly staff. We waited 45 minutes for our food - maybe because it was on a Saturday. My boyfriend's dish with venison was very delicious, and he was very satisfied. I was very disappointed of my Haggis. I have had haggis three times in Scotland - and I like it very much. This haggis must have been made of half meat, half oatmeal. The dish was extremely salty. The cause was that there were big pieces of bouillon cubes in the sauce. When I told the waiter she said that she was sorry but I did not get a new plate. Perhaps I was just unlucky..

crownowner, Owner at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Marie,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Hotel, I am pleased that your husband enjoyed his food. I am very unhappy that you did not, I can only appologise for the wait for your food, Last weekend was the start of Glasgow Fair (a major Scottish holiday period) and we were exceedingly busy hence the delay in serving your food. I do hope that you were advised that there may be a delay in service at the time of order. The problem with your food is dissapointing to hear, we buy our haggis from our local award winning butcher which is served with tatties, neeps and a whisky sauce which I can only apologise if it was not to your taste.
It is our policy here to replace or refund if any customer is not happy with any dish, therefore I am most unhappy that you complained and our policy was not implemented.
I will look into this and ensure that all of our staff understand this policy.
As I said earlier Saturday was exceedingly busy, that is no excuse for you leaving as a dissatisfied customer, please call in the next time you are in the area and ask for me and we will do our utmost to make amends.
With sincere apologies,

Reviewed July 11, 2013

After the train ride from London and a rather hectic drive from Edinburgh Waverley, we needed some good food and good beer. The "live music" sign out front pulled us in, and we were greeted by a gentleman (presumably the owner) with a warm welcome. The staff was very friendly, helping me select a local beer and taking good care of us after bringing our food. The food was tasty pub food, and we enjoyed listening to Mak-A-Din's music. My teenaged guitar playing son bought one of their CDs. It was just what we needed to end the day.

Dear Thomas,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit. It is also very pleasing to find that you enjoyed the entertainment - Mak A Din. We have live entertainment every Friday ,Saturday & Sunday and find the combination of being entertained whilst dining very popular. Please do call in the next time you are in the area - a warm welcome awaits!

Best regards

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I had dinner in the crown and it was fantastic. He had the venison casserole which tasted so good and I had the haddock which was huge and the fish was lovely, white and fluffy with a wonderful crisp batter. The only small thing I would suggest would be home made tartar sauce with the fish and not the sachets.

I must thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, It is pleasing to hear that you found the food we serve enjoyable. Our vennison is sourced locally and our fish landed in Aberdeen and delivered to us freshly each day. We are fortunate enough to have an abundant supply of fresh Scottish produce within easy reach. That combined with our talented Chef Leo
helps us serve delicious food. The reason we do not provide our own tartare sauce is one of the need to keep it refrigerated and the volume of fish that we serve. It is currently the best policy to use pre packed sachets rather than take any risks. We plan to redevelop the Kitchen, toilets and cellar in January 2014 and provide our Chef with a larger better equiped kitchen when we will review what extra we can cope with then.
That will not stop us providing great pub food in the meantime!
Please say hello next time you are in

Best regards

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Not tasty, awful service, poor menu, terrible desserts.
Atmosphere is ok, a lot of funny and knd people around. Won't come again.

crownowner, Owner at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Sir,

I note from your profile that you are from Moscow, and also that you have travelled around Scotland recently. I cannot help but also notice that you have bad mouthed -every eating establishment that you have visited - including some that I have dined in and would willingly recommend. We pride ourselves on providing locally sourced home cooked pub food. Today our special is locally produced lamb in a red wine and redcurrant jus, also on our menu is Scottish Vennison casserole, beautiful local Trout and Salmon etc etc. all of which are indeed 'Tasty'. We are rated number 2 in town because that is where we deserve to be rated by well meaning customers. Maybe Scottish cuisine is not to your taste however it is totally unfair to slaughter every place you have visited with such scathing comments. You do the ethos of Tripadvisor no credit and will leave it to readers to deduce from the other more constructive comments to decide whether it is you that is kidding!